Helping my friend sell his M5. Please read through the entire post, this is not a show car or collectors car but is a great daily driver for somebody who wants the M experience for a low price.
Car is very reliable and always starts in any condition, despite the cosmetic flaws, the car was cared for, it just was a daily driver for all its life (never tracked) so it is a bit rough.
asking $8500 OBO
- 2001 E39 M5 in Titanium Silver, with PDC (parking sensors), rear power sunshades, navi, fold down rear seats w/ski sack
- 256xxx km (Canadian car)
- I've owned the car for past 2.5 years, put on 45k
- I'm the 3rd owner, 2nd owner was a friend who bought it at 140k in 2006 (trade in or lease return)
- no major accidents but has been touched up from parking lot bumps, scrapes
- currently sitting on OEM wheels on winter tires with lots of tread left (Dunlop SP Winter M3 on front, Michelin Alpin on rear). Rims have rash.
- including 18" set of summer wheels (Rondell style 21 - see pics). One rim needs repair, rest have rash.
- Etest is valid (passed in July 2012 with excellent results)
Work done before I owned it (was maintained at indy garage specializing in high end cars):
- rad/rad fan/new hood (famous exploding fan incident)
- front diff mount
- new OEM battery (late 2010)
Work done by me (mostly DIY, have receipts):
- valve cover gaskets
- new hid bulbs/other bulbs as needed
- thrust arms (Lemforder), lower control arms, sway bushings, end links
- power steering lines, fluid reservoir
- lower coolant temperature sensor, t-stat housing sensor
- FSU (final stage unit)
- A/C service (vacuum, recharge system - no leaks found, blows cold)
- MAF'S, air filters
- spark plugs
- front rotors + pads, plus brake/clutch bleed
- passenger front door check replaced
- backup PDC sensor
- ebox fan
+ oil changes every 5000 km (LiquiMolly 10w60 summer, Castrol 5w50 winter)
- swapped interior wood trim for Titanium trim (minus center console, pieces were from automatic car)
- MKIV DVD navi upgrade
Now for the bad:
- car has common e39 rust on trunk, door edge, passenger rear fender, jack points
- windshield cracked (passenger side, not in line of sight, has not spread in years)
- DSC (traction) does not work, ABS works fine however
- drive shaft makes a clink noise, suspect it is center bearing
- cracked front bumper on corner, but is in one piece
Note: water under car is from a carwash just before taking pictures.