Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Price advice on 08-09 E92 M3 please, thanks

Hi guys, I'm new on this forum. I always liked the E92. I think now it's the perfect time to pull the trigger! I am going to ask the owner to take the car for inspection. I want I know how much I should offer and if it's too low.

Budget < 50K , hoping for 42-45k, must be manual coupe. White or Black. (But I think Alpine white look the best)

Car #1 Private seller, 2008 M3 white on black leather.Manual,73k km
All service record, no accident
Carbon fiber trim.
Carbon fiber roof
Technology package and convenience package
Warranty until 100k or late 2014
Bonus: Carbon lip and Lusso wheels.
Listed price: 48k

Car #2 Private seller, 2008 M3 White on red leather. 74k km
Premium Package, Technology Package, and Premium Sound
M3 GTS wheels
One small accident <1000
No warranty, ended 6 months ago but have all record
Listed price: 48k

Car #3 Dealer, 2008 M3 Black on Black, 24k km
Executive Package , EDC
Listed Price: 56k

1: Thinking about offering 43k
2: 42k, not sure, but I felt like it's kinda lowball if i offer 42k?
3: Not sure, a little bit more I could get 2010 or 2011 M3

thanks for reading all this

Last edited by hkricer; 02-05-2013 at 08:45 AM.
hkricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

If #3 has some flex. on the price, 24K is pretty much a brand new car. IMO if I were to be spending 45K+ on a car, it wouldn't be on one with 70K+ Km's.

Between 1 and 2, I would choose 1 with the warranty and tech. package.

At the end of the day, offer what you can afford based on the quality of the car. Depending on how bad the seller whats the unload the car, they may be willing to go higher or lower. Look at all options and pay more for features you really want and just make sure to take it to a reputable shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

Cheers!
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsdale View Post
IMO if I were to be spending 45K+ on a car, it wouldn't be on one with 70K+ Km's.
Your not going to find an e92 M3 almost new for that price.

Prices seem inline with the market here in Toronto.
The low km one is expected to fetch a bit more $$, 56k is a bit high, but it doesn't mean he will get that. If you want a 2010 or 2011 try to find one for that price if you think you can. Newer LCI models didn't have many changes, upto you if you think the lower km or better condition is worth the premium.

There is a sedan in the FS section listed for $38k with 87k, sedans go for a bit less and given it's not spring yet, low 40s sound reasonable. Go see it and show them you are serious and see how much room they have on price.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

the two first ones, seem to be high priced, i would never pay that much, for that kind of km's.

i was looking for my m3 for half a year, and then i just got fed up with all the beat up examples around, and bought a brand new one.

Make sure that the car has nav, and my suggestion also look into DCT. I was looking for a manual one also, but after driving the DCT, i NEVER looked back. This car was meant to be with a DCT transmission .
Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for all the input guys! I will keep the high mileage in mind.

#3 is a leased vehicle. If it was AW I will try to make a deal right now. I saw the E90 AW FS, but I only wanted a coupe (I'm kinda picky). There's also a 2012 AW E92 http://www.bmwricky.com/inventory/view/6425147 at dealership for $70K (6k km, but it was a demo car (probably beat up pretty bad) and it has been for sale since last year May I believe)

Right now, I am waiting for the owners to take their car to my friend's shop for inspection.

There are not many AW 6-speed for sale in Canada

I am only planning to keep this car for 2-3 yrs. (I got bored with car pretty quick) So I felt like the best situation for me financially is to buy a used 08-10. Because it had already taken the first 3 years depreciation hit. If i buy a 80-90k car from dealer then sell it 3 years later. I will be losing 30-40k.

Last edited by hkricer; 02-05-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
the two first ones, seem to be high priced, i would never pay that much, for that kind of km's.

i was looking for my m3 for half a year, and then i just got fed up with all the beat up examples around, and bought a brand new one.

Make sure that the car has nav, and my suggestion also look into DCT. I was looking for a manual one also, but after driving the DCT, i NEVER looked back. This car was meant to be with a DCT transmission .
Yeah, I am doing research on buying this car 4 months ago. There just isn't enough M3 to choose from in Canada. Make me want to just order a new one from dealer and be done with it.

Not really sure about DCT, I've driven the GTR DCT and I didn't like it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
damameke
6th Gear Member

If you are planning on driving it for 2 to 3 years,, why dont you lease a brand new M3?
after that no hassle trying to sell it...
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
If you are planning on driving it for 2 to 3 years,, why dont you lease a brand new M3?
after that no hassle trying to sell it...
I dislike leasing, I've leased 2 car in the past. When I do the math, basically, I'm paying 25k-40k in 3 years and I don't own the car. Which is PITA for me, because I never drive my car in winter (and I still have to pay for lease and insurance) And sometimes I might travel back to HK for vocation for 1-2 months (again I still have to pay for lease and insurance). Both leased vehicle ended up returning with less than 25k km on odometer. I end up buyout one of the car after the lease ended because it's in such a pristine condition.

On a brand new M3 it's close to 90k with tax in. If I lease it, there will be interest (4.9%) on top. And if I drive it for let say 2-3 years, the monthly payment will added up about 30-40k depend on your down payment which is enough to buy a used m3 right now and I get to keep it right away.

I don't think I will ever lease a car again, it's going to be either buyout or finance.

Last edited by hkricer; 02-05-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
mkgino
6th Gear Member

I had the same problem you have now with looking for a used M3 in Canada. There was barely any selection, and if you wanted to get a good deal you had to accept a high meilage car.

I imported my 2011 M3 from the US with only 6k miles. Overall after import duties etc I still saved $10-15000. It was plated/registered in the US when I picked it up, and I had ontario plates with registration the SAME DAY after driving it over the border. Thats how easy it was.

From now on I will purchase all my BMWs from the US if the savings are there in the future.

For your criteria, in the US M3 the going rate is $35-$45000.

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...les&sf2Dir=ASC
Old 02-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkricer View Post
Yeah, I am doing research on buying this car 4 months ago. There just isn't enough M3 to choose from in Canada. Make me want to just order a new one from dealer and be done with it.

Not really sure about DCT, I've driven the GTR DCT and I didn't like it.
you should try the DCT in m3, you cant compare the GTR to m3.

I never owned anything, but manual. After DCT, my opinion has changed.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member

Well good luck with the hunt, the selection will definitely be better in the states and like it was mentioned above it's not that hard of a process to get the car into Canada

I just lucked out when I found my white 2008 M3 last year...and I've tried DCT, so I agree you should try the M3 to at least make an informed decision, but I love my manual, it all depends on preferences I guess
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for all the input guys, because the finance rate is so low at 0.9%. i decided to go with a 2012 AW with 6k km from the dealership. It's fully loaded executive, zcp, Mdrive, high gloss shadow line, carbon fiber trim, carbon fiber mirror and even OEM front cf diffuser (although i like cf lip better). Picking it up tomorrow Cant wait!

Last edited by hkricer; 02-11-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
you should try the DCT in m3, you cant compare the GTR to m3.

I never owned anything, but manual. After DCT, my opinion has changed.
I couldn't find a dealership that will let me test drive their m3.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Congrats. 0.9% on an M is amazing. How many months?
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
hkricer
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Congrats. 0.9% on an M is amazing. How many months?
36 months, owner choice. 25k down. exactly $700 per month including tax also brought 2 year of extra warranty which is included in the price

Last edited by hkricer; 02-11-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: