Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
G12
G12

2004 325i Wont start D:

Hey there guys,
So lately my car has had a problem starting in the morning, it would start then stall, but on the second start up it would be good to go, this happened a few times and I thought nothing of it because of the extreme cold we have been experiencing in Base Borden, may be entirely related or entirely unrelated..

I drove to the grocery store with my wifey then back to my house and there was no issues, right at my driveway I slow down to go over the curb and my car losses all power and then stalls. I go to try and turn it back on and no luck, i can hear the crank turning but no spark, I tried 3 or 4 times and eventual it stated again, sputtering and i push the gas and it does up but it was still sputtering, and sure enough it dies again.

I pushed it back into the driveway with my buddies and began to try and isolate the issue.

1) First I assumed it may be the fuel pump, but i had my wife turn the key while I listened inside the gas tank and it made the 4 second primer hiss, so i ruled the fuel pump out.

2) After doing a bunch of research trying to find the issue/similar issue online, and I came to think it maybe the Camshaft Position Sensor (not sure if intake or exhaust), but here's the sitch to that, no codes. At all...

3) Maybe somehow the battery got f***ed, so i grabbed my booster cables and my truck and sure enough trying to boost it did nothing. (I've had power this entire time, electrical power still maintains when i put the key in)

4) Unplugged the MAF and tried starting it, identical results as per before, so MAF is ruled out.

So end result is that it wont start, i still have power, crank is moving, fuel pump hisses and im rather lost, also im tight on cash so I rather not take it to a shop (christmas and what not...)

Any ideas? Any ideas on other things I can examine to help diagnose my circumstance?

Last edited by G12; 01-06-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: added "4)"
G12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Is there gas in it? Bad gas gauge??? Sure sounds like you ran out of gas.....
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
G12
G12

I bumped the car up and down and there was gas swishing back and forth.
So I assume theres enugh gas. Ive never had a issue with the gauge, and since the last time I put the gas in it the gauge reads approximatly what it should.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Next dumb question.... Considering the crazy weather, could you have water in the gas line...now frozen?
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
G12
G12

Man its funny you say that, I had a suspicion about that, so I put a bunch of gas line anti-freeze in the tank and put 5 litres. It didn't start, so I took the cover of my engine and used a blow dryer on the fuel rail. Started up like a beauty so I drove to the gas station and filled it up! Good to go.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Holy crap! Way to go!

Btw... This type of issue wouldn't be isolated to an e46. Next time you might consider posting in the general forum to get a larger audience.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #7
jabela
4th Gear Member

Glad you got it going... the fuel pumps do sometimes slowly fail, so you could have reduced pressure. How many KMs and has it ever been replaced? Other thing I was gonna mention is the CCV failure which also happens to all E46 at some point. Botht he pump and CCV fail between 100K-180K km.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #8
G12
G12

195km, I bought the bimmer at 145ish. Since its been mine, neither of those things have been replaced. I really don't know if they were replaced prior to me owning it. :|
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G12 View Post
195km, I bought the bimmer at 145ish. Since its been mine, neither of those things have been replaced. I really don't know if they were replaced prior to me owning it. :|
Well, if I were you I would replace the fuel pump, filter, and CCV preventatively, espcially since you're in a very cold climate.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: