Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Good deal for M50 injectors?

http://bit.ly/132Z9DM

Looking to replace my stock M20 injectors with these. Good price?
aberg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

Why?
Old 06-23-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Reconditioned injectors, not a bad idea. You just gotta make sure they will work with M20.
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Pretty sure these are plug and play with the M20.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #5
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

What is done to the motor that would require larger than stock injectors? You'll need a tune for the motor to properly run with those.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Decided to order a set. I'll likely install a MarkD chip and this (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-E30-E36-E...4&cmd=ViewItem) in the near future.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie591 View Post
You'll need a tune for the motor to properly run with those.
Not entirely true. The DME has a fuel trim parameter which it will adjust based on feedback from the O2 sensor. When I first got my E30 I replaced the stock injectors with a set of rebuilt 19lb/hr injectors, the car ran fine and still passed emissions.

The fuel trim parameter is finite though, so at some point it won't be able to pull fuel any further. My guess is that around 24lb/hr you might start running into issues with idling/cruising rich issues, then you'll need a tune.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Not entirely true. The DME has a fuel trim parameter which it will adjust based on feedback from the O2 sensor. When I first got my E30 I replaced the stock injectors with a set of rebuilt 19lb/hr injectors, the car ran fine and still passed emissions.

The fuel trim parameter is finite though, so at some point it won't be able to pull fuel any further. My guess is that around 24lb/hr you might start running into issues with idling/cruising rich issues, then you'll need a tune.
Yes, and since the M50 injectors only deliver about 16lbs/h at 3.0 bar, it's not that much more than stock, but better atomization due to the 4 hole design so I figure this is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

I wouldn't waste your time and money on an intake like that. The Stock Mahle filter and fancy air box is actually proven to flow the best (it has 1450 square inches of surface area). You also run the risk of pulling in hot air off your motor and radiator.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
Yes, and since the M50 injectors only deliver about 16lbs/h at 3.0 bar, it's not that much more than stock, but better atomization due to the 4 hole design so I figure this is a worthwhile upgrade.
As long as they have the exact same dimensions so you don't get a leak. I've been looking for a perfect fit Bosch injector for m42 in the 19# range. Not sure if they have to be high impedance too, ford V8 injectors are said to work for my engine.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #11
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
I wouldn't waste your time and money on an intake like that. The Stock Mahle filter and fancy air box is actually proven to flow the best (it has 1450 square inches of surface area). You also run the risk of pulling in hot air off your motor and radiator.
As I understand it, the Kamotors CAI has a carbon fiber enclosure around the cone filter so does not pull in engine heat. While it may not boost performance, it will sound nice and interface nicely with a miller MAF kit. Anybody else have this setup and can recommend it?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberg83 View Post
As I understand it, the Kamotors CAI has a carbon fiber enclosure around the cone filter so does not pull in engine heat. While it may not boost performance, it will sound nice and interface nicely with a miller MAF kit. Anybody else have this setup and can recommend it?
It's not a bad design but mahle paper is still ideal. I had to laugh because in the pictures someone installed this cold air intake and didn't remove the throttle body heater plate. Kinda defeats the prorpose of the claimed 15% reduction in temperature. However I do agree they sound mean on I6 engines, just hope those new injectors are not too loud, or that's all you'll hear from this intake.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #13
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
I had to laugh because in the pictures someone installed this cold air intake and didn't remove the throttle body heater plate. Kinda defeats the prorpose of the claimed 15% reduction in temperature.
Throttle body heater probably has a negligible effect on the IAT, the air moves past the throttle body much too quickly for it to gain much thermal energy, if any.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Throttle body heater probably has a negligible effect on the IAT, the air moves past the throttle body much too quickly for it to gain much thermal energy, if any.
I agree the plate alone is only 1/2" thick but it heats up the entire throttle body and the intake manifold. I removed that plate a long time ago as I don't drive my car in the winter. I am able to place my hand on the manifold even after a long drive, couldn't do that before without an "owwie". I'm sure it has an effect on AIT.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
I agree the plate alone is only 1/2" thick but it heats up the entire throttle body and the intake manifold. I removed that plate a long time ago as I don't drive my car in the winter. I am able to place my hand on the manifold even after a long drive, couldn't do that before without an "owwie". I'm sure it has an effect on AIT.
On the flip side, I have mine removed as well and the temperature of my intake manifold is more or less the same... still fairly warm after a long drive, but I have long tube headers which throw quite a bit of heat into the engine bay when the car is sitting idling.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: