Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Classics
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
prplhaze
1st Gear Newbie

My "new" 2002tii

I am new to the idea BMW ownership and have never really given it any thought till recently. They have always been cars that I have admired but never thought one would ever come my way.

The father of a very good friend of mine was however a BMW fan and had owned a few, but paired everything down recently till he was only left with the one. His 1972 2002tii.

The car was last driven in 2008, and 2 years ago he passed away. The car has been sitting in the garage since then in the exact state he left it in.

My friend's mother decided that it was time to start pairing down things so she put out an ad to try to sell the car and got no bites in more then a year. Mind you they live in a very small town and it is fairly rural so they are more interested in vintage North American iron then European cars, so it is not surprising that there were no buyers. I was discussing things with her on a recent trip out there and she just needed the car gone now, so I told her that the only offer I could make was extremely insulting for it. I managed to tell her what I would pay and before I could continue on she said "sold" and shook my hand.

Yesterday my dad and I drove 150km in the rain to pick up the car and bring it back here. The trip was laced with problems but we conquered them all and the car is now safely stored away, ready for me to start working on it in the spring.

The good:

Solid shell
Original motor
Upgraded interior
BBS wheels
Many spare parts
Runs

The Bad:

Ugly spoiler that must die
Kugelfischer system removed carb in its place (but still have the fi system)
Headliner needs replacing
General refresh needed

I am in the process of gathering information about the car and its history, and sourcing parts for it as well so that I can bring this car back to its former glory.

Be kind to a newbie on the board.

Here is a link to a Flickr set showing the car in its current state.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theprpl...7631607342418/
prplhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Nice pick up, agree you have a few changes to make but looks like a great little project!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

What a beauty! Lots of potential.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
prplhaze
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95
Nice pick up, agree you have a few changes to make but looks like a great little project!
Thanks I hope that it will be a fairly smooth project but then again, nothing ever is

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1
What a beauty! Lots of potential.
A lot of potential in it, I just hope that I do it all justice.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I'm not going to lie, I hate you right now.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
tonyhavana
2nd Gear Member

Congratulations! Here's link to a VIN chart for 2002s.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/13/32/

I would check that first to see if you have a real tii.
The snorkel on your car, (the tube that is on the body just in front to the right side of the rad), is not normal on a tii. But there's nothing wrong with having a standard 2002 either.
BMW2002faq.com is the BEST website for 2002 info.
Make sure to do forum searches first though, everything has been covered.
Looks like you're in Kingston, and there is a very knowledgable guy in that area, Ian Pringle I think is his name.
Not sure if he posts on this board though.
Good luck with it!
tonyhavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
///Maluco
5erholic

Congratulations!
Looking forward to seeing you revive this classic.

...also looking forward to a youtube video of the destruction of that spoiler... ('Office Space' style LOL)

Bimmer Mag......................October 2010.....................Issue No. 93
///Maluco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
prplhaze
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by defaultName
I'm not going to lie, I hate you right now.
It is okay, I have heard that a few times already

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyhavana
Congratulations! Here's link to a VIN chart for 2002s.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/content/view/13/32/

I would check that first to see if you have a real tii.
The snorkel on your car, (the tube that is on the body just in front to the right side of the rad), is not normal on a tii. But there's nothing wrong with having a standard 2002 either.
BMW2002faq.com is the BEST website for 2002 info.
Make sure to do forum searches first though, everything has been covered.
Looks like you're in Kingston, and there is a very knowledgable guy in that area, Ian Pringle I think is his name.
Not sure if he posts on this board though.
Good luck with it!
The first thing I did was check the VIN to make sure that it was in fact a real tii, as I had the exact same concerns when I saw under the hood as you did. The VIN does begin with the correct 276 and the number on the VIN plate matches the one on the block so it is a matching block and car.

The Kugelfischer was removed by my friends dad as he was having problems with it, and he took the intake and carb off of a regular 2002 to help fix the problem. Lucky for me he kept all the proper parts so I will get it rebuilt and put in properly. The other thing that threw me of course was the standard 2002 dash, not the tii dash, but that was another thing he replaced from the 2002 doner that he had because the tii dash was cracked. I think that the dash with clock are in a storage shed at my friends so this coming weekend I am going barn diving for all the rest of the parts for it.

Thank you for the name as well, I will have to search for him and get some information and tips, as this will be my first BMW so I am sure that there are lots of things to learn. Do you happen to know if he has a shop here, or works in a shop by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Maluco
Congratulations!
Looking forward to seeing you revive this classic.

...also looking forward to a youtube video of the destruction of that spoiler... ('Office Space' style LOL)
I am sure that there will be video of the descruction of that wing, and it will most likely find its way here

The restoration is going to have to wait till spring when I can get access to a garage but I plan to dive in head first on this and hope to have it in pretty good shape by the summer, just in time to cruise a bit with it.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:22 PM   #9
DEZIAC
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the pickup! Yes, Ian is a great source for parts and is a local Kingstonian. I'm local as well most of the time, between Toronto and the US. Anyways, I'm down for lending a hand if needed or even if you just want to talk old euro cars. I get back from Maryland next week though.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
73 Tii
DSC off

Congrats on the pick up. Lots of knowledge,parts and ideas with the Toronto crew. Let us know how we can help

70 2002 M2 2.5L
01 Dinan E46 M3
73 Tii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Welcome to Maxbimmer !!!

Congrads on the new Project car, keep us updated on the overhaul
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
jm1602
5th Gear Member

Somewhere on my PC

I have a picture of that car. Could never figure out why someone would put a wing on an '02. Hopefully you will put that right along with everything else you find. That air filter setup is something else man.
Good luck.
jm1602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
prplhaze
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZIAC
Congrats on the pickup! Yes, Ian is a great source for parts and is a local Kingstonian. I'm local as well most of the time, between Toronto and the US. Anyways, I'm down for lending a hand if needed or even if you just want to talk old euro cars. I get back from Maryland next week though.
As this is my first fun at a BMW I am sure that I will have an abundance of questions, so much so, that people will probably get sick of me When I start the process of tearing down and such I will be sure to let everyone know so they can follow the progress of the rebuild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 Tii
Congrats on the pick up. Lots of knowledge,parts and ideas with the Toronto crew. Let us know how we can help
Thank you, I am sure that I will be leaning on people for some help and maybe some parts if things get a little worse then expected. I am already thinking that I am going to need a replacement trunklid due to the large holes drilled into it for that wing, but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADBMR
Welcome to Maxbimmer !!!

Congrads on the new Project car, keep us updated on the overhaul
I will be sure to keep everyone up to date, and document the process as best I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1602
I have a picture of that car. Could never figure out why someone would put a wing on an '02. Hopefully you will put that right along with everything else you find. That air filter setup is something else man.
Good luck.
The funny thing is that the guy that owned the car before my friends dad used to race it and he didn't see the need for a wing I can assure you though that it will be one of the first things to go on it.

The "air filter" (term very lightly used) is truly out of this world. When I first saw it my brain kinda hurt. I wonder how many times that dryer ducting threatened to burn under the heat of the hood? I am going to look into getting the Kugelfischer rebuilt and installed back under the hood as soon as I can. I really want this car to be as stock as possible. (interior and 5 speed excluded as I like those upgrades)
Old 09-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
Canadian144
2nd Gear Member

Looks like a great pickup, G/L with the project.

I remember seeing the car for sale on Kijiji sometime last year or two years ago. That spoiler/custom interior are pretty distinct! It should clean up nicely though.
Canadian144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
prplhaze
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian144
Looks like a great pickup, G/L with the project.

I remember seeing the car for sale on Kijiji sometime last year or two years ago. That spoiler/custom interior are pretty distinct! It should clean up nicely though.
Thanks, I hope that it my work can live up to expectations

The interior is pretty nice and I am glad that it is one of the things that I really will not need to do in the car to be honest. I know just how much a decent interior can cost overall and would rather use that money toward returning the engine to its former glory.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: