Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

Rough idle on cold (<10 degs outside) starts for 30 seconds

Since it's starting to consistently dip below 10 degrees here, my '89 325i has started acting up a little when started. If it's below 10 degrees, the car starts up just fine, idles around 600-650, which is good, then as soon as i start to move, the idle after that starts to be extremely loopy and wants to stall, dropping down to 300-400 then jumping back up to 1000.
Only happens for about 30 seconds while i'm in first pulling out of the driveway and lane near my place in 1st and 2nd gear. Once it's up driving at at least 1500rpm for that 20-30 seconds or so it idles fine after that (engine is still cold at this point).
Never happened during the fall or summer - only really started when the temps started to drop below 10 in the past couple weeks...

Any ideas? Really don't want to start checking for vacuum leaks, but i'm going to take a look at the ICV and intake boot today after work, maybe the screw on the icv is in too far making the car "look" a little for the idle when it just starts. Who knows!

Thanks!

Last edited by Sea Aych; 11-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Sea Aych is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Could be the CTS for the dme. But you can also test your ICV. There are instructions on how to do this in the Bentley. The surging idle is strange, but it is not uncommon to see these things like shitty when that cold.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Try cleaning the ICV and lubing with light oil. It's got to be able to turn freely and if it's gummed up, it'll overshoot, and then overcorrect the opposite direction
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

^ think it's that? It's just weird because it doesn't jump around until I move for the first time. It starts up and idles fine and if I let it sit for 20-30 seconds then start to move then it doesn't jump at all. I'll give it a look though. Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
Sea Aych is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, idle, m20, rough, start

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: