Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #1
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Bike forums?

I'm hoping someone can let me know what the biggest/most useful motorcycle forum to join (preferably local or with a regional section) is.

Going to spend the winter, learning as much as possible before jumping on a 600.

Thanks.
BMWdouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

I'd say gtamotorcycle.com

Good on you for researching first, R series bikes (which I'm assuming you might mean) are no joke - as can be said for all bikes.

That being said, I'll be the first to cast their alliance and say go Ninja, their 636 is really something else when it comes to the 600cc class : )
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

i got a 600cc as my first bike....its not as hard as people make it sound lol. just use some brains when you ride, thats all. do not ride outside of your experience, like leaning at 100kmh. take things slow, and you'll be surprised at how not difficult it is to ride a 600cc. and don't even consider 250cc IF you use that as a "learner". Just learn on the damn 600cc.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
i got a 600cc as my first bike....its not as hard as people make it sound lol. just use some brains when you ride, thats all. do not ride outside of your experience, like leaning at 100kmh. take things slow, and you'll be surprised at how not difficult it is to ride a 600cc. and don't even consider 250cc IF you use that as a "learner". Just learn on the damn 600cc.
Yeah - I'm currently torn. Part of me wants to start on the Ninja 300.. but am worried that I will outgrow and get bored of it and be a complete waste of time/money. But the other part of me is a little bit intimidated by a 600.

Being a fairly small guy 5"7.. I'm concerned about size/weight the most but from what I read, the 300 is pretty much just as big/heavy as a 600. So taking my time with a 600 might be the way to go.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

The ninja 300 is a nice bike regardless, but there is no way in hell it will be any heavier than a 600cc. I promise you that you will get bored of it quick. As soon as you ride along side a 600cc while you're on your 300cc, the struggle to get to the 600cc speed sucks! So yes, you will outgrow it fast...once you reach the max throttle and such, you will want to move faster, trust me.

I road a my buddy's 250cc the other day and I couldn't take it. The only thing fun about a 250-300cc is you'll be able to throw that shit around! But with time, you'll be surprised that it's very possible to do that with a 600cc. If it makes it better, I am 5'6" and I have no issues riding my 600cc.

Once the 600cc is in motion, it stands on its own and you can maneuver it quite easily. It's just a matter of how much you move off your center of gravity when you're leaning and turning.

Shit, Now I want to ride! Spare yourself and go straight to a 600cc.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
ultimateX5
Ally04

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
The ninja 300 is a nice bike regardless, but there is no way in hell it will be any heavier than a 600cc. I promise you that you will get bored of it quick. As soon as you ride along side a 600cc while you're on your 300cc, the struggle to get to the 600cc speed sucks! So yes, you will outgrow it fast...once you reach the max throttle and such, you will want to move faster, trust me.

I road a my buddy's 250cc the other day and I couldn't take it. The only thing fun about a 250-300cc is you'll be able to throw that shit around! But with time, you'll be surprised that it's very possible to do that with a 600cc. If it makes it better, I am 5'6" and I have no issues riding my 600cc.

Once the 600cc is in motion, it stands on its own and you can maneuver it quite easily. It's just a matter of how much you move off your center of gravity when you're leaning and turning.

Shit, Now I want to ride! Spare yourself and go straight to a 600cc.
What he said,
you'll get sick of the 300 in no time. If you have basic knowledge of how cars/bikes work, you'll be fine on a 600. Just don't outride yourself, know your limit!
10 dodge ram
03 acura mdx
94 dodge ram cummins
00 ford f350
00 dodge dakota
87 e30 325is Mtech
97 e36 328is Mtech'd
98 e39 540iMtech
ultimateX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
sb_600
5th Gear Member

If you've never ridden anything before, here's my opinion:

-start on a 500 or less (ninja 500/ suzuki gs500 are great starter bikes).
-buy it old enough so that it won't depreciate in the year or two it takes you to learn and become comfortable. When (not if) you drop it, you won't care.
-upgrade to a 600 after that.

I rode dirtbikes all my life then bought a 1995 Honda CBR600F3 when I turned 16. It was an awesome bike but I was pretty tiny back that and I did drop it once or twice, and was rear-ended once - took some getting used to the extra weight from dirtbikes, but not so bad.

I then sold that bike and bought a 2003 Honda CBR600RR - that thing was awesome!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
///M_AMAZIN
2nd Gear Member

+1 Get the Ninja 300 if you can - Don't start with the 600SS

Its not that you won't be able to ride the 600 right off the bat and do everyday normal commuting - its just that you'll learn more about riding with a lower compression bike and take it to the limits = more fun

And yes, gtamotorcycle.com

///M_AMAZIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M_AMAZIN View Post
+1 Get the Ninja 300 if you can - Don't start with the 600SS

Its not that you won't be able to ride the 600 right off the bat and do everyday normal commuting- its just that you'll learn more about riding with a lower compression bike and take it to the limits = more fun

And yes, gtamotorcycle.com
i road out to guelph from brampton on back roads as my first ride. I don't know what you're talking about, on top of the countless hours i spent riding around BRAMPTON within the first 2 days of riding my 600cc with 0 bike experience. you learn as you ride, big bike or not
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #10
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Stop worrying about displacement for a first bike, the biggest thing which makes a super sport or superbike a poor choice for first timers is riding position. Bigger displacement can be dealt with by using less throttle, you can't overcome poor positioning so easily. They're designed to be ridden at speed in a very unnatural position to optimize aerodynamics, not ideal when you're having a difficult enough time getting through intersections and parking lots.

Getting something with a more natural upright position will be far more beneficial to learning how to ride. Even the difference between a naked with a bar and a sport bike with clip-ons is night and day, see if you can find a shop that has two which are similar and throw a leg over each. South of 100km/h their performance is very similar to a super sport, and you can decide if a sport bike is really something you want.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #11
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

^ Precisely why I'm a big fan of the Honda VFR. My first bike was a '97 VFR750. Looking to get a '98-'01 VFR800 (fuel injected) for next season. It's got the sport bike look and most of the performance, but is way more comfortable for long rides. Not to mention those motors with the gear driven cams have a unique, wicked shriek.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #12
webb70
3rd Gear Member

You also might want to check insurance prices....600cc are quite pricy compared to a 125/250/300cc bike.

And besides, whats the rush, smaller bikes can go above the limit if necessary, but isnt the first bike supposed to be about learning how to ride safely, staying out of traffics harm, improving your reflexes and being sure riding is for you ?

Get a used small displacement bike that you can re-sell a year or two later. If /when it tips over, gets bumper or what ever, your not heart broken.....

Ride safe and have fun !!

Last edited by webb70; 11-16-2012 at 03:41 PM.
webb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

I just discovered RBC (my ins provider) does not cover new riders..

Any thoughts of where to turn?

Also, what's the best way to learn to ride the bike without actually buying one first? I'm going for the M1 soon. But the next step is just to go out to the Kawasaki showroom and test ride a bike without knowing how?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
I just discovered RBC (my ins provider) does not cover new riders..

Any thoughts of where to turn?

Also, what's the best way to learn to ride the bike without actually buying one first? I'm going for the M1 soon. But the next step is just to go out to the Kawasaki showroom and test ride a bike without knowing how?

If you have a friend with a small dirt-bike, take it out in a field and get use to riding, clutch, shifting etc....
I would strongly recommend taking the course at Humber or Sheridan, its only what $300ish.....(you will save at least that much on insurance)
No dealership will let you test ride a bike without an M2 or higher.

BUY GOOD RIDING GEAR!!!!!! (Its your life, don't cheap out)

Last edited by webb70; 11-21-2012 at 10:42 AM.
webb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #15
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb70 View Post
If you have a friend with a small dirt-bike, take it out in a field and get use to riding, clutch, shifting etc....
I would strongly recommend taking the course at Humber or Sheridan, its only what $300ish.....(you will save at least that much on insurance)
No dealership will let you test ride a bike without an M2 or higher.

BUY GOOD RIDING GEAR!!!!!! (Its your life, don't cheap out)
Definitely doing a riding course, but unfortunately do not have any friends with bikes. Won't I need a bike to take the course though?

Basically how the hell do I get a bike with just an M1.. and how do I get an M2 without having a bike?

And yes.. will definitely get good riding gear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: