Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #16
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
lol.. true, you never know.
So you couldn't restart your car with the MAF problem?
It happened so quickly that it's hard to believe it could be a vacuum problem. 30 seconds after the first hesitation it died completely. Certainly felt like fuel starvation.
E46's can run with the MAF fully unpluged!!! Unless its automatic, where the trans goes into limp mode...

Sounds exactly like fuel pump...Very easy to find out...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

^yep

On a side note again I did a fuel pump on my e46 at about 115000km, when we took the back seat out and uncovered the pump it all looked good and it would even test good BUT around the top it had a very thin hairline crack as if it was about to be opened like a can. It doesnt take much

But hey let us know what it was, helps us all to add to the book lol
Old 11-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
cormier
6th Gear Member

Ya I'm sure a dozen of us will have this happen this winter now :p

Good luck!

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #19
DANIMAL
TYRE ETR

Consider replacing the fuel pump relay first. I have a fuel pump failing in the E36, it has been acting up the last few times the car has been out, but it didn't just die completely. It starts cold no problem then begins to hesitate when warm. If I turn the car off and then back on when its warm it can take two or three long attempts to get it to start.

Its a much cheaper fix (~25 bucks for E36) than replacing the whole pump. I'd hate to replace the pump only to find it was the relay all along.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #20
CoEEzi
2nd Gear Member

Plus one on the relay.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:23 AM   #21
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIMAL View Post
Consider replacing the fuel pump relay first. I have a fuel pump failing in the E36, it has been acting up the last few times the car has been out, but it didn't just die completely. It starts cold no problem then begins to hesitate when warm. If I turn the car off and then back on when its warm it can take two or three long attempts to get it to start.

Its a much cheaper fix (~25 bucks for E36) than replacing the whole pump. I'd hate to replace the pump only to find it was the relay all along.
This sounds a lot like a crank position sensor issue (or the wire to it ... cracked/worn insulation). One day it just won't start at all.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
cormier
6th Gear Member

If you're not getting fuel pump output, meter your fuel pump relay with an ETM in the other hand and it will be evident if it is working or not.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #23
jabela
4th Gear Member

Thanks for all of the input guys. In the end, it was just the fuel pump.
One nice thing about replacing it is that the slight hesitation around 3500rpm under hard acceleration seems to be gone.

I'll also be doing my fuel filter soon, as the car has 162K km on it and it was last replaced at 100K km.

Apparently it's relatively common for the fuel pump on E46's to die, starting around 160-200K km.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca

Last edited by jabela; 11-23-2012 at 01:20 AM.
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

At least it was a quick find, the fuel filter is a piece of cake to do really and easily tested, blow hard lol

My e46 fuel pump lasted just 115000, not sure if it is a hugely common issue. I see several e46's a week and haven't done many tbh. Just a luck of the draw thing I think.

Since winter is coming you mine as well consider when the last time you did other things, like plugs, look for the common vac leak in the elbow and what not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: