Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #31
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
From what I've heard a small twist in the throttle on a 250 and 600 can make a big difference when abruptly hitting a big pothole or equivalent. There is a great article that swayed me towards a 250 that is posted over at gtamotorcycle as a sticky. Furthermore, I am sure to get back 95% of my money back (if not all of it) in a year or two with a smaller displacement bike so I'm not worried there. This will help me start off with better insurance rates and then once I have more experience will help on the big cc bikes. I'm not worried that I won't get to the 600's or even 1000's because I definitely will.. but I'm in no rush right now. I don't really stand anything to lose by learning on a 250 for a year and then upgrading.

Plus as a smaller rider I felt uncomfortable on a 600.. something that will dissipate with experience. My toes don't touch and my hands don't reach as well as I expected

As far as ins goes.. it is the absolute first thing I checked with and it was much cheaper than I expected. Now that I have a good baseline I will be further shopping around when it actually comes time to put the bike on the road.

Also, I'm definitely signing up for the April 6th course with RTI (closest to my house) whether it helps with insurance or not.
Well the throttle has resistance so if you hit a pot hole you probably won't crank it at all...and plus once you're in a higher gear cranking it won't really lift up the front...that is being said in respect to a 600cc.

Just like you dodge pot holes in your car, you'll be dodging them on the bike as well. If you hop on a 250cc and learn with that, fine. But that doesn't change the fact that a 600cc will be a change in height and weight from a 250cc. 600cc is heavier by far than a 250cc, AND you will have to learn how to keep your feet that already barely touch the ground on the ground in conjunction with the weight! If height of a 600cc is a real concern, you CAN lower the motorcycle. There are lowering links available.

Like I said, I'm 5'6" and I have no problems on my 600rr at all. I initially started with the intent of getting a 250cc but with the intent of eventually going 600cc, I decided that I might as well go to what I plan on going to anyhow and just learn with it. I know it isn't about me, but I promise you, majority of 250cc owners go through the upgrading to a 600cc phase rather quickly, within weeks. That's the thing about reading articles online, it puts all these perceptions of riding a bike in peoples' heads before they even ride. Awareness and perception. Knowing the difference between these 2 is big when it comes to a bike. All the power to you for starting with what you want though

When you check the bike out, look at the front forks. See if there is oil on them, otherwise they should be dry. Have the bike turned on and warmed up, it should not burn nothing but clear. If you see white smoke, or blue smoke coming from the exhaust just like a car would, be cautious. Check the brakes and rotors. While the bike is on, cycle through the gears, 1 neutral 2 3 4 etc. Check tire wear. Look for scratches and dings, the bike could have been dropped. One thing a lot of people miss, check the ownership and make sure it's branded NONE. Push down on the shocks, make sure they're firm. check the chain for play (should be maybe 1.25" of slack), see if chain is all lubed up as well as the sprocket. Check your indicator lights, headlights, HORN.

If it helps, this 21 yr old chick I know got a 250cc ninja BRAND NEW a few months ago in the summer. To my surprise actually, she bought a ninja zx6r on a whim because she got bored and tired of the 250cc so fast. Barely 3000 kms on the 250cc!!!!

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Well, Empowered, what helped with my initial bike insurance was 1. my age, 2. driving experience (having my G for 5 years). I have yet to find an insurance company that recognizes my RTi certificate with my super sport, at least at my age of 24. And by recognize, I mean a STEEP discount, not $100 off/year.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #32
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
Well the throttle has resistance so if you hit a pot hole you probably won't crank it at all...and plus once you're in a higher gear cranking it won't really lift up the front...that is being said in respect to a 600cc.

Just like you dodge pot holes in your car, you'll be dodging them on the bike as well. If you hop on a 250cc and learn with that, fine. But that doesn't change the fact that a 600cc will be a change in height and weight from a 250cc. 600cc is heavier by far than a 250cc, AND you will have to learn how to keep your feet that already barely touch the ground on the ground in conjunction with the weight! If height of a 600cc is a real concern, you CAN lower the motorcycle. There are lowering links available.

Like I said, I'm 5'6" and I have no problems on my 600rr at all. I initially started with the intent of getting a 250cc but with the intent of eventually going 600cc, I decided that I might as well go to what I plan on going to anyhow and just learn with it. I know it isn't about me, but I promise you, majority of 250cc owners go through the upgrading to a 600cc phase rather quickly, within weeks. That's the thing about reading articles online, it puts all these perceptions of riding a bike in peoples' heads before they even ride. Awareness and perception. Knowing the difference between these 2 is big when it comes to a bike. All the power to you for starting with what you want though

When you check the bike out, look at the front forks. See if there is oil on them, otherwise they should be dry. Have the bike turned on and warmed up, it should not burn nothing but clear. If you see white smoke, or blue smoke coming from the exhaust just like a car would, be cautious. Check the brakes and rotors. While the bike is on, cycle through the gears, 1 neutral 2 3 4 etc. Check tire wear. Look for scratches and dings, the bike could have been dropped. One thing a lot of people miss, check the ownership and make sure it's branded NONE. Push down on the shocks, make sure they're firm. check the chain for play (should be maybe 1.25" of slack), see if chain is all lubed up as well as the sprocket. Check your indicator lights, headlights, HORN.

If it helps, this 21 yr old chick I know got a 250cc ninja BRAND NEW a few months ago in the summer. To my surprise actually, she bought a ninja zx6r on a whim because she got bored and tired of the 250cc so fast. Barely 3000 kms on the 250cc!!!!

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Well, Empowered, what helped with my initial bike insurance was 1. my age, 2. driving experience (having my G for 5 years). I have yet to find an insurance company that recognizes my RTi certificate with my super sport, at least at my age of 24. And by recognize, I mean a STEEP discount, not $100 off/year.
I'm 25 and have had my G for over 5 years.. and am 5"6 as well but with a small reach.. let's say I would never make it as a boxer.

Like I said - I'm intimidated and if that changes whatever. I'm getting one helluva good deal on this bike so I'm sure I'll recover 100% of my money if I want to upgrade. Even if it's for a month. No big deal. I feel that it's better to have the option than not. Plus when else will I ever get to flick around a 250 in my riding career. There's plenty of time for the fast bikes and since I know it won't be money wasted, why the hell not? I'll be there with the best of them in a year guaranteed. Let me just get my shit together first lol.

Going with someone that knows about bikes to check the ninja in question out today and see what's what. If all's good I could have it this weekend!

Weeeee
BMWdouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #33
sb_600
5th Gear Member

You're doing it right.

While you may get "bored" on a 250cc, what a lot of these other posters aren't taking into consideration (no dis-respect intended) is that you need to learn the physics of driving a motorcycle. Throttle application, brake application, steering, turning - all require different inputs than in a car (or a bicycle for that matter).

When faced with an emergency, your natural reaction will be to pull back - well guess what happens when you do that? An inexperienced rider will twist the throttle more, compounding the problem.

Starting with something smaller will help you learn the mechanics. Once you're comfortable "riding," getting a bigger bike will be when the fun REALLY starts to happen
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I've been riding for 15yrs now. First bike was a '93 ZX-7. From my dozens & dozens of riding friends (and personal experience) over those years, we all completely agree (still sticking by my initial post).. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANYTHING UNDER 600cc (unless you plan on staying with a Vespa/Moped). If you can't modulate a simple throttle when hitting a "pothole", you should stay WELL AWAY from any motorcycle. If it's too tall for you, lower the bike and shorten the kick-stand. Easily fixed. A great started bike is an SV650 Suzuki.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #35
webb70
3rd Gear Member

I really dont understand this concept of waisting your money on a smaller bike?
The fastest and easiest bikes to sell are starter bikes.... If you buy a used one, ride it for say a year, drop it once or twice without much damage you get your money back if you make only the necessary the repairs. They hold their value, and you get to learn on a nice light more manuverable bike, that wont get you into too much trouble, and that you don't mind a tip-over or two...

But I guess if you want to keep up with all the Ricky Racers at the local Tim's, you better be on a 600RR Supersport.

Last edited by webb70; 12-06-2012 at 04:52 PM.
webb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #36
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

600RR? Sorry, wouldn't touch one of those. 1000cc minimum for me.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
What do you guys do for footwear when riding?

I'm considering getting a sportbike (under threat of being single & homeless) but i can't wear boots when riding. Are hi-top runners enough? High tops certainly wont stop you from blowing out your ankle if you come down wrong.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #38
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post

I'm considering getting a sportbike (under threat of being single & homeless) but i can't wear boots when riding. Are hi-top runners enough? High tops certainly wont stop you from blowing out your ankle if you come down wrong.
Well, I just wear my sneakers but I plan on getting proper ankle guarded boots. I've worn my paper thin chucks many times riding lol. Normal shoes are fine if you don't plan on being stupid or reallllly spirited. Ankle braced/protection is safe for sure to safe the ankles.

By the way, to say the physics of a 250cc is the same as 600cc...lol. so NOT the same haha...#1 difference, MASS.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #39
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Sure and if you can't wear a helmet at baseball cap will do in a pinch....
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #40
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

lol holy shit

You guys need to all chill out. To be honest for the price I paid for the 250 (with a yoshi exhaust and some other nice touches) and buying off-season, I will be FOR SURE making money on it next year.

It's just about being cautious that's all - if that makes me less of a man and stupid for what is really a rare case of positive interest investment then so be it. Either way - I'll eventually be on a 600 for sure and be able to enjoy the hell out of it from day 1.

I'll rather be a little girl for a year than to be a manly man that is nervous on a 600 and hate riding it around. For me, making sensible, safe decisions make a man, a man. I have a family that will suffer if I hurt myself and can no longer work so I have to do AS MUCH as possible to REDUCE the risk as much as I can.

To each his own I guess. I've already been told to avoid 600cc riders and I guess that's just what I'll do.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #41
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Quote:
lol holy shit

You guys need to all chill out. To be honest for the price I paid for the 250 (with a yoshi exhaust and some other nice touches) and buying off-season, I will be FOR SURE making money on it next year.

It's just about being cautious that's all - if that makes me less of a man and stupid for what is really a rare case of positive interest investment then so be it. Either way - I'll eventually be on a 600 for sure and be able to enjoy the hell out of it from day 1.

I'll rather be a little girl for a year than to be a manly man that is nervous on a 600 and hate riding it around. For me, making sensible, safe decisions make a man, a man. I have a family that will suffer if I hurt myself and can no longer work so I have to do AS MUCH as possible to REDUCE the risk as much as I can.

To each his own I guess. I've already been told to avoid 600cc riders and I guess that's just what I'll do.

IMHO, you're doing it right
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #42
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
lol holy shit

Congrats on your new bike, you will have lots of fun on it if you take the time to learn.....
Now go take the battery out and put it on a tender for the winter.......lol
(so you dont get tempted to ride it)
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #43
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post

Why can you not wear boots? Bare foot is enough technically, just depends how intact you want your ankles to be if you go down or brush up against anything. Properly fitting riding specific boots are built to keep you together in a wreck as well as be comfortable while riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
Well, I just wear my sneakers but I plan on getting proper ankle guarded boots. I've worn my paper thin chucks many times riding lol. Normal shoes are fine if you don't plan on being stupid or reallllly spirited. Ankle braced/protection is safe for sure to safe the ankles.
You're definitely right. Accidents only happen when you make a mistake, cars never hit riders unless they're being stupid or really spirited.

If you can afford a bike, you can afford ALL the gear....end of story. You need to factor in boots, gloves, helmet, jacket and pants. Jeans do not count unless they're kevlar inforced. Put denim to a belt sander and let me know how it holds up, cotton is about as useful as being bare assed while skipping down the pavement at 80km/h. Do you really want to be going for skin grafts because you didn't want to spend another $100-200 or because you thought you looked stupid with riding pants?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #44
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

I started on a 250rr mainly because of the high costs of insurance. Plus I had zero experience on motorcyles. Picked up a used one for cheap and sold it after my 2nd season. I dont regret starting off on it. the 250cc show me the ropes.

The way I see it is that I am going to be riding for many years to come. My plan is to start small and work my way up the latter. I ain't in no rush. 250>600>1000>1400

I just sold my R6 and picking up a 1000cc in the spring.

Ivan - I usually wear my timberlands when I ride. But looking into a pair of Astars for next season.
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #45
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Just transferred the ownership on the bike today (unfit/unplated) and will be getting the ins/safety for the spring. Since the bike is technically un-rideable without plates.. what is the best way to go about getting a safety in the spring and how much should I be looking to pay? Any of you have shops that do it?

The bike is stored around Britannia and Erin Mills Pkwy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: