Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
webb70
3rd Gear Member

They provide the bike at the course....
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #17
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWdouche View Post
I just discovered RBC (my ins provider) does not cover new riders..

Any thoughts of where to turn?

Also, what's the best way to learn to ride the bike without actually buying one first? I'm going for the M1 soon. But the next step is just to go out to the Kawasaki showroom and test ride a bike without knowing how?
After you get the M1, sign up with RTI for your M1 exit course. By the end of that weekend you should know your way around a motorcycle and how to control it in relation to the basic rules of traffic. That being said, if you then get your bike start out riding on smaller, low traffic streets with a friend who has experiencing riding. This will help you get the hang of the bike at higher speeds (the M1 exit course takes place in a parking lot) and with moderate traffic influences. Take things in steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
i got a 600cc as my first bike....its not as hard as people make it sound lol. just use some brains when you ride, thats all.
Brains and logic will go along way, and that is definitely good to reinforce, but I don't agree with the first part of this statement. Moving a bike is certainly not hard, riding it - I reiterate - riding it is something else though. That being said, I too started out on a 600 series R bike (GSXR600) and have been able to avoid all the horror stories and tidbits that other riders shared with me when they found out I started on the Gixxer. However, I started track riding in 2011 and started out in the sport 250cc class. Those bikes shouldn't be undermined by anyone who is serious about riding and riding well. If you're just talking about "cracking the throttle and not keeping up with R bikes" then yes, you will get bored quickly.. and likely into a bit of trouble with that riding mindset. Learning to ride the smaller bikes fast is a process that will allow a rider's learning curve to rise considerably faster than trying to tame a fast bike.

After a lot of exciting and encouraging seat time on the 250 and 300cc sportbikes I was able to put faster lap times down than some novice riders who went straight out on 600cc'.

Just food for thought. If you're responsible and on a budget I would go straight to the 600cc of your choice and start out the way I mentioned above; limited traffic and with responsible friends. If you can afford it though, I would never discourage starting out on a smaller bike and learning to ride it confidently in all traffic situations and aggressively (because I'm a realist and know that you will not walk your next bike, perhaps a 600, to and from where you take it.) so better to be prepared and have the physics under your belt.

Either way, just enjoy yourself but be safe.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
///M-TRD3
Modeldater

Quote:
Originally Posted by webb70 View Post
BUY GOOD RIDING GEAR!!!!!! (Its your life, don't cheap out)
Awesome advice. Don't be the type that say's I'm on a budget so I can only afford a helmet under xx amount of dollars. If you can't afford good, proper fitting stuff, then wait and save up. Same for jacket, boots etc.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-TRD3 View Post
After you get the M1, sign up with RTI for your M1 exit course. By the end of that weekend you should know your way around a motorcycle and how to control it in relation to the basic rules of traffic. That being said, if you then get your bike start out riding on smaller, low traffic streets with a friend who has experiencing riding. This will help you get the hang of the bike at higher speeds (the M1 exit course takes place in a parking lot) and with moderate traffic influences. Take things in steps.

Brains and logic will go along way, and that is definitely good to reinforce, but I don't agree with the first part of this statement. Moving a bike is certainly not hard, riding it - I reiterate - riding it is something else though. That being said, I too started out on a 600 series R bike (GSXR600) and have been able to avoid all the horror stories and tidbits that other riders shared with me when they found out I started on the Gixxer. However, I started track riding in 2011 and started out in the sport 250cc class. Those bikes shouldn't be undermined by anyone who is serious about riding and riding well. If you're just talking about "cracking the throttle and not keeping up with R bikes" then yes, you will get bored quickly.. and likely into a bit of trouble with that riding mindset. Learning to ride the smaller bikes fast is a process that will allow a rider's learning curve to rise considerably faster than trying to tame a fast bike.

After a lot of exciting and encouraging seat time on the 250 and 300cc sportbikes I was able to put faster lap times down than some novice riders who went straight out on 600cc'.

Just food for thought. If you're responsible and on a budget I would go straight to the 600cc of your choice and start out the way I mentioned above; limited traffic and with responsible friends. If you can afford it though, I would never discourage starting out on a smaller bike and learning to ride it confidently in all traffic situations and aggressively (because I'm a realist and know that you will not walk your next bike, perhaps a 600, to and from where you take it.) so better to be prepared and have the physics under your belt.

Either way, just enjoy yourself but be safe.
Thanks. This is all very helpful. Would the RTI be a better choice for a riders course than the Humber program? And would they both be eligible for lower insurance rates.

Also what are some brands to trust when it comes to good riding gear and what should I budget?

Sorry for all the questions but I hope everyone's having as much fun answering them as I am asking.

That being said.. I will be getting either a 250 or the new Ninja 300.. keep it for a few years and then decide if I'm ready for a 600. I'm in no rush to show-off and am definitely not buying a bike for what others think of me.
BMWdouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Thanks. This is all very helpful. Would the RTI be a better choice for a riders course than the Humber program? And would they both be eligible for lower insurance rates.
They are both great courses, and both eligible for insurance discounts.

Also what are some brands to trust when it comes to good riding gear and what should I budget? Lots of great brands like

Helmets : Arai, Suomy, Shoei, AGV, Icon, Bell...
Jackets: Joe Rocket, Alpinestars, Icon, Nexxo, Teknic etc...
Boots: Alpinestars, Sidi, Daniese, Joe Rocket.....

Sorry for all the questions but I hope everyone's having as much fun answering them as I am asking.

That being said.. I will be getting either a 250 or the new Ninja 300.. keep it for a few years and then decide if I'm ready for a 600. I'm in no rush to show-off and am definitely not buying a bike for what others think of me

See, you get it!!!.
You might want to budget about $750 -$1000 for a good set of gear (helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots)
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #21
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Check out State Farm for insurance.

They were pretty much the cheapest when I was shopping.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
You might want to budget about $750 -$1000 for a good set of gear (helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots)
Thanks! Best place to buy? I used to have a Shark S900 helmet back in the day for tracking but sold it
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #23
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Royal Distributing seems to have the most selection in the mid-range gear.
Riders Choice in Mississauga has a lot of mid to high end gear....
Old 11-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Definitely doing a riding course, but unfortunately do not have any friends with bikes. Won't I need a bike to take the course though?

Basically how the hell do I get a bike with just an M1.. and how do I get an M2 without having a bike?

And yes.. will definitely get good riding gear.
Unless you have someone who can ride for you, then a dealership will more than likely presume that you want to buy it because you have experience. Normally test driving is reserved for M license only. So you're going with the Kawi huh? Do the bike course, they provide the bikes as already said. I did RTi and I was VERY impressed with the course. Worth my $500. It was like...90% practical. LOTS of riding time.

The bike course won't give you any insurance discount. It's really only good to break the ice to learn fundamentals to riding (of course, to your OWN benefit). Most insurance companies don't even recognize the certificate you get from the course. To them, it isn't about you learning to ride a bike since you could have learned on a 125, 250, 600, 1000cc etc. Ultimately, it is about what you can do with the bike's potential.

That's great that you want to start with a small bike, all the power to you! You will be happy regardless because it is new. But if you're already considering upgrading to a 600 down the road, then you might as well get one now. Mind you, if your mentality is set to not getting a 600 because you don't want to show off, then you probably should not even consider a 600 at all.

Good luck! I'll be happy to help with anything so ask awayyyy

PS: Statefarm.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #25
webb70
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
Unless you have someone who can ride for you, then a dealership will more than likely presume that you want to buy it because you have experience. Normally test driving is reserved for M license only. So you're going with the Kawi huh? Do the bike course, they provide the bikes as already said. I did RTi and I was VERY impressed with the course. Worth my $500. It was like...90% practical. LOTS of riding time.

The bike course won't give you any insurance discount. It's really only good to break the ice to learn fundamentals to riding (of course, to your OWN benefit). Most insurance companies don't even recognize the certificate you get from the course. To them, it isn't about you learning to ride a bike since you could have learned on a 125, 250, 600, 1000cc etc. Ultimately, it is about what you can do with the bike's potential.
That's great that you want to start with a small bike, all the power to you! You will be happy regardless because it is new. But if you're already considering upgrading to a 600 down the road, then you might as well get one now. Mind you, if your mentality is set to not getting a 600 because you don't want to show off, then you probably should not even consider a 600 at all.

Good luck! I'll be happy to help with anything so ask awayyyy

PS: Statefarm.
Not sure where you got that information from, but its simply not true. Every insurance co. I have ever dealt with has asked if I have any type of training course. Some will not take new riders unless they have taken the course. I've had my M before they had the graduated system and when I got my Duc back in 2010 and was shopping around for rates they all asked if I had the course as there was reduced rates involved.....
Old 11-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #26
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Not sure where you got that information from, but its simply not true. Every insurance co. I have ever dealt with has asked if I have any type of training course. Some will not take new riders unless they have taken the course. I've had my M before they had the graduated system and when I got my Duc back in 2010 and was shopping around for rates they all asked if I had the course as there was reduced rates involved.....
I got my information from me calling about every company that insures motorcycles while I was shopping around. The what...1 or 2 companies that do recognize it don't even insure super sports like my cbr600rr.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Hi guys,

I'm checking out a bike this Sunday around the Eglinton/Keele area and will be driving down from Yonge/Sheppard.

Does anyone that knows what to look for in used bikes want to tag along with me and come inspect it for me (since I know very little about what to look for?)

I'm going to buy a bike in the winter now and register it as "unfit" and store it till I get the spring when I can insure it, go do my RTI course on Apr 6th and start having fun with it.

Any rider that is willing to come down on Sunday and check it out with me gets treated to Tim Hortons (Or Starbucks) finest blends.

Cheers and thanks for all the help and advice everyone.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #28
abc12
4th Gear Member

my insurance this previous season was with td group, state farm was alot more expensive..

thing was, i did a online quote with td group, and a separate quote by calling them in person, and it was cheaper when i called in instead... so i suggust do both an online quote and call in as well, and see how much of a difference it'll be
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #29
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Don't waste your money on anything under 600cc for your first bike. You'll want to sell it after 2 weeks.. and safety?? you can kill yourself on a 50cc scooter in traffic, it's all about how much throttle you give and focused you are on your surroundings.

Make sure you budget for your insurance costs, sometimes you'll pay more for insurance (yearly) on a "black list" sport bike than a used bike costs. Call around before purchasing a bike. Motorcycle training course WILL DEFINITELY help with initial insurance discounts. El Gato Liso is dead wrong on this.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #30
BMWdouche
Not Banned... Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMPOWERD View Post
Don't waste your money on anything under 600cc for your first bike. You'll want to sell it after 2 weeks.. and safety?? you can kill yourself on a 50cc scooter in traffic, it's all about how much throttle you give and focused you are on your surroundings.

Make sure you budget for your insurance costs, sometimes you'll pay more for insurance (yearly) on a "black list" sport bike than a used bike costs. Call around before purchasing a bike. Motorcycle training course WILL DEFINITELY help with initial insurance discounts. El Gato Liso is dead wrong on this.
From what I've heard a small twist in the throttle on a 250 and 600 can make a big difference when abruptly hitting a big pothole or equivalent. There is a great article that swayed me towards a 250 that is posted over at gtamotorcycle as a sticky. Furthermore, I am sure to get back 95% of my money back (if not all of it) in a year or two with a smaller displacement bike so I'm not worried there. This will help me start off with better insurance rates and then once I have more experience will help on the big cc bikes. I'm not worried that I won't get to the 600's or even 1000's because I definitely will.. but I'm in no rush right now. I don't really stand anything to lose by learning on a 250 for a year and then upgrading.

Plus as a smaller rider I felt uncomfortable on a 600.. something that will dissipate with experience. My toes don't touch and my hands don't reach as well as I expected

As far as ins goes.. it is the absolute first thing I checked with and it was much cheaper than I expected. Now that I have a good baseline I will be further shopping around when it actually comes time to put the bike on the road.

Also, I'm definitely signing up for the April 6th course with RTI (closest to my house) whether it helps with insurance or not.

Last edited by BMWdouche; 12-06-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: