Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
bmw.ae
DO U EVEN SHIFT BRO?

e46 nav

hey guys, i recently purchased a 2001 330 vert and was looking to change from a radio to a double din screen.. id rather a flush oem fitment and ive come across dynavin oem replica with more options. has anyone owned or had experiences with either or both? how does it compare to an actual oem unit?
thanks
1994 320i sedan - RIP
2004 mazda 6 - RIP
1994 mazda mx6 mystere -sold
2000 chrysler neon - sold
1993 honda civic dx coupe - sold
1989 nissan 240sx - RIP
1989 honda civic si (ef) x 2 - sold/seized
bmw.ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

I've got either a Dynavin or clone (previous owner put it in). I'm quite happy with mine, even though it appears to be one of the older units.

The good:
-navigation works great
-easy to use
-big screen is visible in all but the worst glare (setting sun coming in back window)
-looks stock
-sounds plenty good to me

The bad:
-I have premium sound which means the stock setup was headunit, amp, speakers. The output from the Dynavin is too high of a level, so my volume is always set really low (4 or 5 is damn loud on a scale that likely goes to 30 or 40)
-The GPS voice just simply is not loud enough with radio going (I get around this by switching to auxiliary and playing nothing)
-No phone book
-No voice commands
-Built in mic picks up a lot of background noise (turn signal, blower, etc)

I think they may have addressed some of the above issues in the newer model, but worth asking if it's a make/break for you on any of the above points.
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

I also have Dynavin in my E46 M3. I think the one I got is V7.

The thing that I can say is if you must have that stock look and flush OEM fitment, then you can go for this unit. I paid $800 for it so it's not what I call cheap.

The nav is open source so you can flash it with the latest map on the Internet.

The nav UI is not as intuitive as other major brand so it takes some time to get used to.

The glare is an issue but if you have a wind deflector it may help reduce the glare.

The GPS receive is a hit or miss. If you have to get this unit, make sure you spend the effort to attach it close to the rear view mirror so that it has a better reception while our of you sight.

The iPod interface is mediocre at best. I have stopped using it to find a specific song/album/artist. What I do now is that I would find a playlist and let it shuffle.

Ditto to what cirrusblau said about the mic, it picks up a lot of ambient noise. You really have to get close to the mic if you want to be heard which is even more distracting than driving with one hand on the phone.

If I can choose again, I would have bought the Dice for BMW and use my good old Garmin when I really need a nav.
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #4
bmw.ae
DO U EVEN SHIFT BRO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
I've got either a Dynavin or clone (previous owner put it in). I'm quite happy with mine, even though it appears to be one of the older units.

The good:
-navigation works great
-easy to use
-big screen is visible in all but the worst glare (setting sun coming in back window)
-looks stock
-sounds plenty good to me

The bad:
-I have premium sound which means the stock setup was headunit, amp, speakers. The output from the Dynavin is too high of a level, so my volume is always set really low (4 or 5 is damn loud on a scale that likely goes to 30 or 40)
-The GPS voice just simply is not loud enough with radio going (I get around this by switching to auxiliary and playing nothing)
-No phone book
-No voice commands
-Built in mic picks up a lot of background noise (turn signal, blower, etc)

I think they may have addressed some of the above issues in the newer model, but worth asking if it's a make/break for you on any of the above points.
thanks for your input, i can see those issues being a bit of a hassle to deal with but it may be worth it for a more modern console look. i did a bit more reading and looking around i came across another replica brand eonon.. the d5150 is the model for the e46 its half the price of the dynavin 99+ and seems to be just as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe46 View Post
I also have Dynavin in my E46 M3. I think the one I got is V7.

The thing that I can say is if you must have that stock look and flush OEM fitment, then you can go for this unit. I paid $800 for it so it's not what I call cheap.

The nav is open source so you can flash it with the latest map on the Internet.

The nav UI is not as intuitive as other major brand so it takes some time to get used to.

The glare is an issue but if you have a wind deflector it may help reduce the glare.

The GPS receive is a hit or miss. If you have to get this unit, make sure you spend the effort to attach it close to the rear view mirror so that it has a better reception while our of you sight.

The iPod interface is mediocre at best. I have stopped using it to find a specific song/album/artist. What I do now is that I would find a playlist and let it shuffle.

Ditto to what cirrusblau said about the mic, it picks up a lot of ambient noise. You really have to get close to the mic if you want to be heard which is even more distracting than driving with one hand on the phone.

If I can choose again, I would have bought the Dice for BMW and use my good old Garmin when I really need a nav.
i would probably do the playlist shuffle thing too, i'll definitely have the wind screen by the time winter is done as of now i have the hardtop on so theres n o point in me rushing to get that although i bought one for my e36 vert before i got the car lol. 800 is pricey.. did that include shipping to canada? i think i may go with the eonon and like you guys have alternate ways around some of the flaws.. do you guys have back up cams connected as well? also what is Dice? sry for the newb question.
1994 320i sedan - RIP
2004 mazda 6 - RIP
1994 mazda mx6 mystere -sold
2000 chrysler neon - sold
1993 honda civic dx coupe - sold
1989 nissan 240sx - RIP
1989 honda civic si (ef) x 2 - sold/seized
bmw.ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

I found it on kijiji for $800 picked it up locally.

Dice is the iPod interface for BMW. It integrates with the steering wheel control.
newbe46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

No backup cam on mine. It's got the input, but it's not something I need.

For music, I'll just use my phone via bluetooth. The audio quality is actually better than the radio. I just put it on shuffle and the steering wheel controls can skip forewards and back.

Unfortunately, to listen to bluetooth audio, it seems that you've got to be on the bluetooth screen (ie. can't see nav, but can still hear directions). The good news is that it's easy to flip back and forth, so I'll just look when I need to. Again, I think mine's an older version so maybe it's been improved?
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: