Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

Im New to this forum

Hey people of maXBimmer, im new to this forum and i just picked up a
01 330ci Mpkg and im trying to find the best bang for my buck for performance, and just about anyway to increase hp.

Thx,

Bobby
Old 11-04-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Buy an m3!

Lol jk -- the 330s not quick enough for you? Do you do any track events or anything? That can make you more happy with the power you have

If you're craving big numbers with your m54, be prepared to really open your wallet up!

Congrats on the buy! Any pix?

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

im a student so i dont have that much to put out from my wallet but just little things like i heard changing the filters can add little hp. also when i bought this car the lady said it was mint no leaks etc. but as it turns out it was a scam and didnt realize it until after i put my money out. So im trying to do a tiny rebuild on it. so most of money is going towards fixing it, and what ever money i have left over would be going towards looks and speed. im trying to find parts so if anyone could help me out that would be great too.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
cormier
6th Gear Member

Oh jeez what's wrong with it/how much of a rebuild are you talking?

Not to be a constant rain on parade, but things that you mentioned like air filter cause a negligible difference in power. When I say negligible I mean that if you had a 330 with full CAI, crazy spark plugs, cat-back-- the normal start-off mods-- next to a bone stock one, it would be nearly impossible to feel a difference in power. Even on a drag strip or dyno were still talking minimal if any gains. And all those mods would be between 500-1000 bucks. Sucks, I know.

IMHO and experience, the more worthwhile "mods" on budget are things you'll ACTUALLY notice while driving rather than trying to focus on going faster. Things like weighted shift knobs or deleting the CDV, tint, stereo upgrades, wheels, mild exhaust, and even preventative maintenance like SS braided brake lines if yours looks bad quality, or stiffer suspension bushings should they need to be replaced.

Budget wise, the lowest you'll pay for a noticeable power gain would be over $1000 for cams and a tune with supporting intake and exhaust. Again, IMO that 1000 bucks would be better spent on two HPDE sessions learning how to actually go faster, or on nice wheels you'll constantly smile at, or a dynavin, or a really good lap dance... You get my point :p

Just my $0.02 ps if you do want a nice filter, there's a lifetime K/N one on sale here currently in the FS section.

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

alright man thx for the help really appreciate it.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

and i might have to take apart the whole engine just to find where the leaking is happening i think it might be a mix of codensation build up and rad fluid, but i could be wrong. plus oil is leaking underneath the car and its ruining my garage floor.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Best bang for buck is tires, they improve everything !!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the new car and welcome to the forum. The 330 is a great car so you'll be happy with it, i'm sure.

I think best bang for the buck for power are intake and exhaust. They usually work hand in hand. You can also look into some underdrive pulleys to free up some hp. Beefing up the suspension with some coilovers are also a great upgrade for the car in the handling department. I think these little tweaks can make your car more enjoyable.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #9
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

thx for all the ideas everydoby truely helpfull.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
StraightSix
2nd Gear Member

The valve cover gasket and oil filter housing gasket are the two most likely culprits of your oil leak. Both are easy DIYs and no need to take the engine out. Also, when doing the valve cover gasket, I recommend replacing the vanos seals since you already have the valve cover removed.

In regards to power, the cheapest noticeable improvement would be headers. Don't expect anything more than 15 hp though. Other than that, forced induction is the only way to go but, as mentioned above, prepare your wallet.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoyE39 View Post
im a student so i dont have that much to put out from my wallet but just little things like i heard changing the filters can add little hp. also when i bought this car the lady said it was mint no leaks etc. but as it turns out it was a scam and didnt realize it until after i put my money out. So im trying to do a tiny rebuild on it. so most of money is going towards fixing it, and what ever money i have left over would be going towards looks and speed. im trying to find parts so if anyone could help me out that would be great too.
I dont mean to sound rude, but E60 M5 on a student budget!? With the list of other cars i am starting to question the student loan system!!!

On a serious note;
Best feel for the $$$; higher ratio diff
Best power for the $$$; Headers/exhaust
Best power for single mod; Supercharger (easy/reliable, unlike turbo or NOS)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

no, this was my dads account when he had the E39 540i and E34, I just took it over/sharing it, those are his rides, the 330ci is mine, sorry for the confusion. The ///M5 is sick and modded, so no I dont want a superfast car because we have 1, just want more pep out of this 330ci.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into how much those seals and gaskets are. Anyone know a good/cheap place to get them done?

where does eveyone meet up in sauga?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: