Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

91' 318IS revival

Hey guys. Last week I picked up an E30 which was being scrapped. I wasn't looking for one, just happened to be driving past a shop and saw it sitting in a parking lot. Car wouldn't start due to a bad fuel pump and owner decided not to fix it. At first sight it looked pretty beat but closer inspection revealed a pretty clean body and undercarriage. Interior was covered in trash though.

When I inquired about the car the shop owner said it he would sell it to me for the price of scrap so naturally I had to have it. Worst case I part it out and scrap the rest.

After getting it home and swapping a fuel pump for a Walbro it fired right up.

The car does need quite a bit of work as it was neglected by the previous owner. I am planning on slowly bringing it back to life and doing small upgrades but mostly keeping it stock (famous last words).

If there any Jalopnik readers on here you may have seen it already. http://jalopnik.com/what-the-hell-is...-us-1802714329

I managed to fill up 2 large bags of trash with junk that was left inside the car. I think all the crap actually preserved the interior rather well because seats and dashboard looked pretty clean.

After getting it running I decided to see if the paint could be saved. Couple hours later it was looking pretty good.

I will probably be ripping the whole car apart by the looks of it, cleaning up, refurbishing and painting all the parts, replacing whatever is worn and reassembling.

If anyone has any E30 parts laying around they are looking to unload I am looking for a few bits right off the bat (and that's before even taking the wheels off ).

Last edited by Бумер; 09-12-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Бумер is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Well done on saving it! Glad it was an easy fix. I enjoyed reading all the comments on that Jalopnik post--didn't know you were from here. Stellar job on the paint.

I've got a couple of ellipsoid headlights (no brackets though) and some tools lying around.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Love this. Subscribed.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #4
dbworld4k

This would be such a fun project. Excited to see where this goes!

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #5
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

Finally got a chance to pop the wheels off and get a closer look at the suspension and brakes.

Brakes look like they were recently done. Front strut is leaking so those will be getting replaced. Ball joints and tie rods are iffy so those will get swapped too.

Front swaybar links are mint though. I guess I might as well get a set of Addcos for it.

Anyone know where this connector goes? It was hanging off the rear end.

So far here is my shopping list.

Also, where is the best place to jack these cars in the rear and place jackstands?

Last edited by Бумер; 09-16-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Connector looks like it's for the brake pad wear sensor
Best place to jack in the rear is right where you're jacking it on the subframe mount and putting the jack stands on the rear sub frame. If you want, you can jack the back from the diff and put jack stands by the subframe mounts
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

Alright, thanks. Now if I wanted to remove the subframe, where the best place to support the body?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:07 PM   #8
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

If the pinch seams are still solid, the jack point right in front of the rear sub frame retainer plate.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #9
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Nice find! Also, wow almost forgot this place still exists (Maxbimmer's E30 section)

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Kamotors v5 CAI, Stage 2 F1 clutch w/ 14lb chromoly flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with H&R Race springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1), 3.15 Z3 Torsen LSD.
BBS RS's 16x8 front 16x9 rears 205/45 215/45
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

Time for an update.

I hate rust and once I started poking I found some not so nice surprises. It's great that BMW covers the whole undercarriage in seam sealer. Not so great when moisture gets under it and rusts from inside out.

This was the scene when I pulled rear of the car apart and scraped off the seam sealer from all visible rust areas. There are a couple of holes near rear spring mounts. One of the cross beams is iffy and a couple small holes in the floor where brackets for gas tank and fuel hoses were welded in.

Fuel tank vapor hose tube was also rusted so that was first area that I repaired. Cut out rust, fabricated a patch panel then welded it. After that 2 coats of DOM16 which will be covered with seam sealer.

Rear axle and control arms were ground down and wirebrushed to be as close to bare metal as possible then covered in 2 coats of DOM16 followed by a coat of Trem Clad.

Leaky diff ripped apart and cleaned up. Diff housing and flanges will also be stripped of rust and DOM16 coating applied.

Rear wheel calipers were soaked in a Metal Rescue solution bath for a couple of days to get them down to bare metal. I will be painting those later on.

Next up I started patching up holes in the floor. The procedure is simple. Cut the rusty panel out, fab up a patch panel, butt weld it in place. 2 coats of DOM16, followed by seam sealer. Any metal that has surface rust and not rusted through gets ground down or wirebrushed to bare metal then covered in DOM16.

More updates to come.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 AM   #11
Schnitz
2nd Gear Member

Well done! Real happy to see any saved from scrap let alone an E30 coupe. Sub'd.
Schnitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Do yourself a favour and replace that rear brake line while you have the subframe out.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #13
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Do yourself a favour and replace that rear brake line while you have the subframe out.
I am replacing all the brake and fuel lines. Anything with rust on it is getting swapped.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #14
Бумер
1st Gear Newbie

Progress is being made slowly but surely. One of the cross beams that sits between spring supports was quite rusty so I decided to replace it entirely. I wasn't able to find a part number for it so it will be fabricated.

Rear seat belt buckle mounts had to be removed as well. I also had to weld a couple small patches in driver side frame rail around spring mount since they were soft.

Meanwhile I've been accumulating new parts. The box in my basement is starting to grow rather quickly.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
Bimmer Heaven
MaXsponsor

Great job on that rust repair!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E28 E34 E39 E60 E61 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4 F30 F32

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 100+ cars now in stock!
Bimmer Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: