Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Because you're modifying the factory suspension design. He said he made his own. Not saying his is shit, but some people have no idea what they're doing, making it unsafe. If I was on the highway and someone hit me as a result of something like this, I would lose it.
Be careful, youre walking a close line to speaking common sense, not too popular.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Crazy you got pulled off the road. Last inspection I went through I was fine.

I wouldn't worry about the bags honestly they are not illegal.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 PM   #18
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW BMXer View Post
Crazy you got pulled off the road. Last inspection I went through I was fine.

I wouldn't worry about the bags honestly they are not illegal.
Stayed up till 2am installing bump stops and rigorously searching my whole car for anything "not safe". What does he find? My power steering rack has the lines looped. He looked through the HTA for 20 minutes till he found A reason thats not "legal". When he found it he gladly pulled the plates and told me to tow it away.Thanks sergeant, Hope it made you happy that i missed 2 days of work and lost my car for the season.
subarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Because you're modifying the factory suspension design. He said he made his own. Not saying his is shit, but some people have no idea what they're doing, making it unsafe. If I was on the highway and someone hit me as a result of something like this, I would lose it.
I would lose my shit aswell. But i know what im doing. He said the bags were fine.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooo View Post
Stayed up till 2am installing bump stops and rigorously searching my whole car for anything "not safe". What does he find? My power steering rack has the lines looped. He looked through the HTA for 20 minutes till he found A reason thats not "legal". When he found it he gladly pulled the plates and told me to tow it away.Thanks sergeant, Hope it made you happy that i missed 2 days of work and lost my car for the season.
Why would that be illegal ? The rack doesn't move ?

What section of the HTA ? Fight it in court, or get a safety from a mechanic
Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

611? Thats what he wrote. He said theres a violation if the steering is modified in any way... Bullshit. Now i have to put my pump in and get a safety only to pull the car off the road next week and start my engine swap.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
dcramer
5th Gear Member

well clearly he was determined to f... with you. That's hardly modified. How would he know that didn't come from the factory that way ?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
subarooo
2nd Gear Member

Reservoir was still present, I had intentions of putting it back in. I even told him its coming off the road monday for a full rebuild and respray. Nope.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #24
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
well clearly he was determined to f... with you. That's hardly modified. How would he know that didn't come from the factory that way ?
How many cars do you know with looped power steering lines from factory!? Either you have PS, or NOT. (not home made delete!) This is almost as bad as taking your power brake booser and hope it works.

I understand that "he was out to get you" and was looking for any reason to ticket you, but think of it this way; if he lets you go, and you crash and die, OR kill someone, he IS in deep trouble! This is not like a loud muffler, or some clear signal lights.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 AM   #25
E36&8
2nd Gear Member

mostly "v dub" guys are the main target!

BMW E36
E36&8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #26
dcramer
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
How many cars do you know with looped power steering lines from factory!? Either you have PS, or NOT. (not home made delete!) This is almost as bad as taking your power brake booser and hope it works.

I understand that "he was out to get you" and was looking for any reason to ticket you, but think of it this way; if he lets you go, and you crash and die, OR kill someone, he IS in deep trouble! This is not like a loud muffler, or some clear signal lights.
I didn't realize what "looped" really meant here. I'd have to agree, the factory engineers put PS in the car for a reason. There is more to removing it than disconnection the lines.

I don't even know why you would want to disconnect it ?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #27
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Be careful, youre walking a close line to speaking common sense, not too popular.

I know, it seems when people modify cars to be herraaaa frush, as long as it looks sick, it doesn't matter how safe it is.

Quote:
There is a difference between a manual rack (which some e30s have) and looping a power rack. They are totally different designs.

Quote:
I would lose my shit aswell. But i know what im doing. He said the bags were fine.
Like I didn't say before. There are some people who have no idea what they are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer View Post
Why would that be illegal ? The rack doesn't move ?

What section of the HTA ? Fight it in court, or get a safety from a mechanic
Because you're modifying a control component of the car. Your making it operate differently then intended from the factory. I'm all against removing p/s, I've said it before.

Even if you could convince a good tech to write you a safety, all you're doing of shifting the blame incase of a legal incident. When techs sign a safety, their license, reputation and finances are on the line. It's not easy to get a license. I wouldn't want mine taken away for a fake safety.

Like I've said before. Passing safeties are a joke... You don't even need lights to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post

He's not out to get him, he's doing his job.

Fil, I'm sure you can help out friend out and sell him some p/s parts. Haha
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #28
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Like I've said before. Passing safeties are a joke... You don't even need lights to pass.
Seen plenty fail for busted bulbs in blinkers or headlights. The safety cert has a "Lights" section. (edit: "Lights and reflectors", even "Headlamp aim" - so not only do you have to have lights but they're even supposed to check the aim)

Last edited by BigD; 10-25-2012 at 01:06 PM.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #29
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Actually. If you indicate that the vehicle will not be driven at night. The lights do not have to function. Because you can use hand signals.

I know, it sounds ridiculous but I just did a course on it. It's insane....

Edit: 62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).
02 325i Sedan

Last edited by SamE30e; 10-25-2012 at 01:28 PM.
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #30
MANDD
Autobahn East

Quote:
Actually. If you indicate that the vehicle will not be driven at night. The lights do not have to function. Because you can use hand signals.

I know, it sounds ridiculous but I just did a course on it. It's insane....

Edit: 62. (1) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall carry three lighted lamps in a conspicuous position, one on each side of the front of the vehicle which shall display a white or amber light only, and one on the rear of the vehicle which shall display a red light only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (1).

I am not sure who gave you this information but any motor vehicle licensed to drive on Ontario highways Must have lighting front and rear.

The HTA can be interpreted this way but specifically lights were not required before sunset as stated in the HTA 62. For motor vehicles lights are required even before sunset due to (CMVSS) Safety Standard 108 otherwise known has daytime running lights.

Just to be clear no vehicle that will be operated on Ontario highways can be certified in Ontario with non working lights.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: