Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

DD/Track car! Work in progress

So I bought this car near the end of "Winter" if you can call what we had a winter.

As some may already know (from posts ive put up already about problems its had) I think I might have purchased a total dud and its been a headache and a real downer at times but i just love the looks i get when I am driving it around and it does drive very nice.

When I bought the car, it ran and drove very straight, and still does.

Things it needed right away was Thermostat, rims (one of the rims that came on it had a hidden crack in it) cause the reps it had on are probably cheap junk, and the front bumper to be supported. Oh and it wouldnt pass the etest because kid i bought it off of did a Auto - Manual Trans swap and probably plugged the O2 sensors in backwards when reassembling it.

If i knew now what i knew then i probably wouldnt have paid 6,900 for the car and probably would have been more patient and purchased a better one for like 10,000 off someone on here.... I learned a lot though for next time.

but the underbody is 100% mint and the only tiny bit of rust on the car is on the passenger does and its barely noticeable.

Things ive come across that need to be fixed/already have been fixed...

E-brake didnt work at all so i just had all the e-brake shoes, rotors and all the hardware for the ebrake replaced. But after i use it 3-5 times it stops holding the car from rolling backwards but holds it from rolling forwards fine, so i had the mechanic look at it he retightened them and it worked for a night now same thing holds forwards doesnt hold backwards.... gonna have him look into it again. maybe you guys would know something?

Needs a new front bumper, it is completely chewed up and is missing all the supports and stuff. I plan on putting the M3 style front/skirt/rear on with in the next couple months.

I plan on repainting the whole car the same color but it has some minor scratches in it and doesnt look like it was done all the professionaly in some spots, also have 2 minor dents pulled

Needed Muffler mounts and a new chrome tip already fixed.

Rear shocks were toast, replaced those with cheap ones from Napa for now. I will be replacing front and rear suspension but would like some input on what i should buy. im looking for something that sits as low as it is now, maybe a bit higher, and is under $2500. Coilovers, or springs dont matter, cause i would probably never bother adjusting the coilovers anyway.

The new rims i got were from an auto wreckers, they are stock OEM so i know they will last and they are in great shape but have curb rash and i will have them refinished and painted white probably within the next month or 2

Needs new window tint and i plan on going 30% front 10% rear

interior needs some minor love.

Need to upgrade to bigger/better brakes, reccomendations? ($2000-3000 budget)

Also next summer i would like to single Turbo/twin turbo or SC the motor and do it up a bit. would love some insight on what you guys would consider is my best option and what is actually possible. would like atleast 450whp+ with a budget of up to $12k

I will post pictures soon of some of the issues i mentioned.
also i will edit/update this as i remember things i forgot to post.

try not to be too harsh on me for my stupidity!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by nab24- View Post

E-brake didnt work at all so i just had all the e-brake shoes, rotors and all the hardware for the ebrake replaced. But after i use it 3-5 times it stops holding the car from rolling backwards but holds it from rolling forwards fine, so i had the mechanic look at it he retightened them and it worked for a night now same thing holds forwards doesnt hold backwards.... gonna have him look into it again. maybe you guys would know something?
Try to adjust the handbrake lever - Perhaps you cant pull it tight enough, even if they are new.

Quote:

I plan on repainting the whole car the same color but it has some minor scratches in it and doesnt look like it was done all the professionaly in some spots, also have 2 minor dents pulled
Get it polished - 2 stage - Repainting a car devaules it too much - and for such an old car, not worth it imo.

Quote:

Rear shocks were toast, replaced those with cheap ones from Napa for now. I will be replacing front and rear suspension but would like some input on what i should buy. im looking for something that sits as low as it is now, maybe a bit higher, and is under $2500. Coilovers, or springs dont matter, cause i would probably never bother adjusting the coilovers anyway.
Go with coilovers - Bilstein PSS PSS9 or PSS10

Quote:

The new rims i got were from an auto wreckers, they are stock OEM so i know they will last and they are in great shape but have curb rash and i will have them refinished and painted white probably within the next month or 2
I know a powder coating company who did work on all my BMW's & Audi's - A little more expensive - but lasts. Let me know if your interested.

Quote:

Needs new window tint and i plan on going 30% front 10% rear
Too dark - Stick with 35% Llumar

Quote:

Need to upgrade to bigger/better brakes, reccomendations? ($2000-3000 budget)
Please buy these and make me happy. - Amazing price imo & oem!
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/E36_E4...BBK/ES2215444/

Quote:

Also next summer i would like to single Turbo/twin turbo or SC the motor and do it up a bit. would love some insight on what you guys would consider is my best option and what is actually possible. would like atleast 450whp+ with a budget of up to $12k
No getting that power from your motor. If your looking for something in that range you bought the wrong car. Buy an E46 M3 - and then look into forced induction.

And post up some pictures.

Last edited by andrew.k; 04-20-2012 at 10:31 AM.
andrew.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.k View Post
Please buy these and make me happy. - Amazing price imo & oem!
http://www.ecstuning.com/News/E36_E4...BBK/ES2215444/
Not for a track car. Do a search on piston failure in these calipers. Not to mention, they are stupidly heavy.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
andrew.k
Top Gear Professional

What you said is true, but for the price it's hard to beat.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

Roadfly brackets, Porsche calipers, M3 (non-CSL) rotors. Total cost should be lower, calipers are better and lighter (fewer pistons though if that matters) and everything is off the shelf replaceable. And everything tucks nicely under 17" wheels for those of us that aren't baller enough to have a bigger winter setup. The only downside is that Porsche pads dust like a mofo, much worse than stock BMW pads. I suggest getting different pads from day one.

The BMW one do look pretty though.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. I pretty much only use Vortex racing pads on my cars now, they are well priced and just work flawlessly. Have them on the race cars and they last whole seasons and they are on fire every weekend and still hold up for the later part of the race.

As for the turbo and stuff could I Atleast get 320+ whp with a turbo/ supercharger?

If I'm home from work early enough I'll try to post some pictures.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

I APPOLOGIZE FOR THE HUGE PICTURES.... i have no clue how to edit them

Here are some of the pictures of my visual problems with the car currently as it sits. other then the front bumper really everything is minor/not noticeable when standing further then 3 feet away.

This Is the passenger arm rest that needs to be replaced.
IMG_0194.jpg

The rims i got from the junk yard, you can see the one if almost flawless and the other three are like the second picture
IMG_0195.jpg
IMG_0197.jpg

The whole front bumper has this nasty snowflake sized chips all over it ( no where else on the car though)
IMG_0196.jpg

My window tint is scratched like this on both Driver and passenger side, Any ideas what causes this???
IMG_0200.jpg

and last but not least the little strip of rust on the bottom of the passenger door I was talking about before.
IMG_0198.jpg

Thats all the visual work the car needs to be back to perfect!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
If you want this as a track car, you are spending too much time worrying about visual items... just drive it man!

Ditch those rims, as they are probably the worst for anything performance related because they weigh about as much as a truck. Get something lighter.

I'd suggest buying some 330 brakes from one of the partout sponsors on here, those coupled with some good quality pads are going to be more than enough for what you will need them for.

You mention wanting to put on M3 bumpers and stuff on... well you already have an M3 bumper, or at least what looks like one in the pics, so that maybe explains why there are no supports and everything is missing from underneath.

Good idea to focus on suspension, and probably another good idea is to get some new bushings to start tightening things up like urethane FCABs and such... since you mention about not adjusting coilovers, Bilsteins will be fine like suggested... but any fancier adjustable shock based coilover like Ground Control or TC Kline potentially yields a better handling car.

Your projected horsepower numbers are a bit optimistic. Try looking at another car if you want that much power... its probably cheaper down the road.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

Thanks crazy, yea I'm looking for a new set of rims right now, but gonna wait for another week or two so I know I have the money. Really nice set someone is selling on here that I want. This week coming the car is gonna go in for a possible water pump/pulleys to be replaced cause something is making a noise on take off. Also going to have the clutch bled and shifter linkage re-aligned and everything cause right now it's shifts rough and it's hard to get through the gears. Sometimes it's even harder just to find the gear. Thanks for the advice just to drive the car, I'm enjoying it a lot more now cause I know people can't see the small issues with the car when they are looking at my tail lights lol
Old 05-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

I didnt read much so forgive me if I missed anything.

You SERIOUSLY need to address your rear subfloor if you havent already. Having a 328 doesnt help you at all, track car or grocery getter your subfloor will tear , guaranteed.

Before you spend a penny on appearance crap , make sure you replace your subframe carrier mounts, all 3 diff bushes, center support bearing, guibo , rtab and your engine and tranny mounts.

If your subfloor already has a crack , best way to go about it would be to scrap the car and buy a 02+ car .Or you can try repairing it endlessly

I recommend you NOT buy anything for your car untill you check your rear subfloor
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info maple, had the car in the shop the last 2 days for a new water pump, and had my check engine light fixed. Also had a bunch of stuff inspected as well as what maple mentioned mechanic says the car is in perfect condition underneath and I have nothing to worry about there. Car sounds perfect now with the new water pump, getting all my shifter bushing replaced next week, and gonna hopefully get a new front bumper at the same time.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #12
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys, been a while since I've done an update on here but that doesn't mean the car hasn't received any love! Car got the window rails fixed and are very solid now so I'm going to be replacing the window tint soon, I purchased a mtech body kit from Maranello BMW and had it painted at European Autobody. And now it's installed and the car looks 1000x better. I have only one more issue with the motor and that is my camshaft positioning sensor, which will arrive tomorrow and be installed by thursday!

I would like to replace my clutch and flywheel with a performance clutch and lightwieght flywheel and if anyone has any solid suggestions on that with links to the place to buy it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #13
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I'd spend money upgrading the suspension, tires and brakes before driveline
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
nab24-
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
I'd spend money upgrading the suspension, tires and brakes before driveline
Agreed but it needs a clutch badly. i think im going to go with a Spec stage 1 clutch with aluminum flywheel, they seem decent for the uses i need from it at a fair price. also i have the money for rims and tires. im just waiting for a LW racing set to come up on here at a fair price. as for suspension im still not dead set on what to go with. also rear rotors and pads are done, gonna do the fronts soon.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Quote:
Hey guys, been a while since I've done an update on here but that doesn't mean the car hasn't received any love! Car got the window rails fixed and are very solid now so I'm going to be replacing the window tint soon, I purchased a mtech body kit from Maranello BMW and had it painted at European Autobody. And now it's installed and the car looks 1000x better. I have only one more issue with the motor and that is my camshaft positioning sensor, which will arrive tomorrow and be installed by thursday!

I would like to replace my clutch and flywheel with a performance clutch and lightwieght flywheel and if anyone has any solid suggestions on that with links to the place to buy it would be greatly appreciated.

Window tint on a trackcar? You seem to be doing everything BUT making a track car.

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: