Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
limenuke
2nd Gear Member

Non-BMW Collision - suspension help.

Hey guys! I used to own an E36 but had to sell it for various reasons in life. Maxbimmer, you guys have helped out a lot and I figure you guys might be able to reach out and help me one more time. I posted this to bimmerforums as well. So here it goes.

This is actually regarding a 2006 Mazda 3. Friend recently got into an accident; her front wheel was hit. The top of the wheel was pushed towards the major axis of the car, so the wheel has a lot of negative camber. It's out of alignment and the steering wheel has to be turned something like 60-70 degrees to the left to drive straight.

I took it to a shop and they siad they'd have to replace the spindle, the shock and the LCA, which seems legitimate to me. I'm not entirely sure however if all those parts MUST be replaced and what a reasonable quote is for a non premium car, such as a Mazda 3. Obviously on your E90s, this kind of accident would cost a lot. My friend's just looking for an economical solution.

Pics will be posted tonight to show the extent of the camber.
limenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

It's highly unlikely the spindle needs to be replaced, unless the wheel bearing is damaged. They are pretty much indestructible.

Call some junk yards around, for Mazda 3's they usually sell front struts as a unit including caliper, rotor, hub, and the strut itself. A couple of years ago the price was around 250-300 bucks, now it should be even cheaper (if your car has ABS make sure you get the parts from a car that has ABS, and sport vs nonsport needs to match).

Look at Kijiji, very often there are Mazda 3 part outs by private sellers.

The front control arm is about 60 bucks (aftermarket). Assuming that nothing else needs to be replaced, the whole job should take no more than 2 hours + alignment.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: