Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
E Verty
1st Gear Newbie

Making Stabilizer Bars

Hey,
I think I am going to be fabricating some anti roll bars for my 325ic , hopefully to be adjustable. If I make mounts as well, there should be the possibility adjust anti-dive and anti-squat characteristics.

Ill post the build thread as I go up here and if anyone has experience or insight, post it. My main references are a few vehicle dynamics and chassis design books from school. First few designs will be made in UGS this week. Lets hope it goes well--I could get a jig made up if others are interested in a set.
E Verty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Yeh it'd totally be interested! I was pricing sway bars out the other day and was like, "$500 for two bent metal bars!?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
adam325i
3rd Gear Member

right on! Make sure theres pictures!
adam325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

something similar to the 22/19mm bars from ireland engineering/st/uuc would intrest me.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
E Verty
1st Gear Newbie

Alright there has been progress with the build-- Lots of Research and hounding professors to give me some knowledge.

I am going to be making pretty basic bars out of something similar to 50Cr Spring steel, Just something that is easy to calculate with. From research Ive found better materials can give different effects, although alot of the work going into the bar is just for a set roll stiffness.

I am going to be making sets of adjustable mounts-- this is where the gains are, and where most of my time will be going. By setting a pre-load on your stabilizer, you can effectively use it as a variable rate spring, which gives higher roll stiffness per degree that you roll. Some circle track guys use this for "cross forcing", but what you are really doing is creating a moment on the LBJ, "holding" the wheel to the ground harder when it wants to lift more.
I plan to make the main body mounts include a tensioner, which could be used ideally without having to remove a wheel. (Set up at the track might take a while) The endlink will also be adjustable, although I think the dynamic part will be in the preload.

Midterms are rough, so posts might be staggered. Hopefully have the first set mocked up around Xmas.
E Verty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I remember seeing a thread on another forum where a dude made a set of sway bars for a 4th year design project. I can't seem to find it though. I'll look harder for it later and post it up if I find it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: