Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
325isMostar
1st Gear Newbie

E30 water on the driver's side floor

Everytime it rains, I go inside the car after and there is a small splash puddle underneath my feet, or right below the gas/brake/clutch pedals.

Any pointers as to where its coming from? The moonroof? The firewall plastics panel leaking?

Thanks guys
325isMostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Most likely your lift point is so rotted out that the water is being absorbed into the foam under the carpet. When I took out my carpet the whole thing and the insulating foam were soaked!

You can remove the knee bolster (panel under the steering wheel/dash) and see if there is a rust trail from further up under the dash... that could mean the corner of your windshield is leaking. One time I had a place change the windshield and then realized 6 months later that when it really rained it would leak. I pulled the plug strip out and resealed the window as best I could with black RTV then put the strip back in.

The sunroof drains don't go into the car, they go out to the rocker area through tubes.

The vents below the window have drains in the engine bay. It is possible that is blocked and leaking although I've never had that happen.

#1 You have a hole in the floor.
#2 You have a window seal issue.
#3 You may have a heater core issue, but that would smell like coolant.

Performance one step at a time.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

I'd wager on hole in floor also. There is a sharp edge about halfway up the wheel in the wheelwell that gets blasted with debris and rusts through. It's about 2-3" above the clutch assembly, but to the left in the corner.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
325isMostar
1st Gear Newbie

ok, thanks for your replies....I should point out that the car is stationary (haven't been driving it) and this is the outcome...water on the drivers side floor...
325isMostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
everlast

Hmm, then leaking door seals or something seems more likely, or the sunroof drain as pointed out above.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
sb_600
5th Gear Member

On my e36, the sunroof drain hose popped off and there was a puddle at the bottom of the passenger side A-pillar.... could be that!
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

If the car had just been sitting in rain, my guess is the windshield. If you at all drove it even through a few puddles, it can be a hole.

Once the water gets under there it stays there. It takes a shit-load of water to have it come up through all that underpadding and foam. So either it's been saturated for a long time... or you have a windshield/vent leak and it's running under the dash and dripping on top of the carpet.

Like I said, once you have moisture under there it's game over unless you peel back the carpet enough to see what the situation is.

When I pulled all my carpets and under padding it was soaked. That crap is like a sponge and would literally take weeks to dry out.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 10-03-2012 at 01:55 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Any advice on how to non-destructively remove the carpet to inspect water seepage issues?
aberg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
everlast

You have to remove the heater core to do so, which to me poses more risk than altering the carpet.

With the seats and console out, you can cut the carpet under the lower console in front of the shifter, and the carpet will pull around the heater core. When you replace the console, you don't see the cut.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Any how do you remove the black plastic door sill trim pieces? I pulled a bit on one and it started to crack.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
everlast

Use a trim removal tool. (A fork will work somewhat, in a pinch.)

See if you can search for pictures of the trim off to see what you're dealing with: there are around 5 white plugs that snap into the car. They come out with the trim. You can't apply pulling pressure on the trim too far away from the plug, or you'll break the black trim. But when you start applying pressure near the plug, you'll notice the trim isn't bending much, and with additional pressure the plug will pop out.

I'll be honestly, its not a pleasant experience.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

Fun! Well I will be pulling my carpet for a few reasons... to help sort out a water issue and to dye it black. I will restore my recaro seats at the same time.

Since the underpadding foam is saturated, I was planning to toss it. Do you need to put some foam back in before carpet re-installation? Or would a coat of truck bed liner on the floor pans do the trick?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
everlast

AFAIK the foam is attached to the carpet in a rather non-detachable way. You could just let it dry out and reinstall.

I dyed a light grey carpet to black once with Duplicolor fabric spray. It went well, just make sure the carpet is as clean as humanly possible before you spray.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
aberg83
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks for the advice!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
AFAIK the foam is attached to the carpet in a rather non-detachable way.
The previous owner of my car removed it somehow. I think he had replaced it with dynamat. So, it is possible, I'm just not sure how the best way to go about it would be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: