Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Kamil
Däs Klässe

323ci S54 or M54b30?

So for this upcoming spring I wanna get some kick out of my little 323. I was wondering what a better swap would be. The S54 is expensive and I was wondering if all i need is the motor itself? Will my stock tranny hold up to the extra 150hp if I just get a new staged clutch? Motor mounts and axles? I dont plan to launch the car hard or beat on it often, just want to do that pull every once in a while. Or would the m54b30 swap be better for around 1000$ and then drop in cams or something else so that I end up spending around $2500 total and still push roughly 250hp? I would like to do the S54 but unfortunately cannot afford the complete swap with tranny and lsd and all of that . M54b30 with cams and headers should be a big enough increase from my 170hp 323. what do you guys think?
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

A lot of the stuff on your 323i is pretty small and undersized. I'd be worried about snapping stuff with more power. You'll also need a lot more than just the engine. The wiring harness has to be custom built, and you'll need the computer etc. It's not a cheap swap.

The M54B30 is a fine engine, and your drivetrain is probably ok for it, but I'm not sure if the wiring harness is compatible again ... might be same ass pain as the s54 in terms of wiring.

My advice: Sell the car, and buy a 330 or M3. It really will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Kamil
Däs Klässe

I know lol but I've become attached to the car and currently its at a shop getting about $4000 worth of work done to it ; most of the car getting resprayed, full front suspension overhaul with control arms and everything, brakes all around, and a bunch of other stuff and it would be sad to see her go especially since shes gonna be all freshened up after this week with the work being done. And an m54b30 can be picked up for around 1000$ plus or minus 100$ with around 140,000kms. Ive seen someone do the swap on e46fanatics and he said it wasnt hard at all. Wiring was all good and it was a straight drop in minus the drive by wire problem in which he had to buy the intake manifold conversion plate from turner motorsport and use an m52b28 intake manifold. I think with a set of Schricks and a tune i would be more than happy with the results for the money spent.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
cormier
6th Gear Member

Listen to the above poster lol. 330s are under 10g now and you get a complete car with everything in its proper place plus beefier suspension and brakes, etc.

2500 is most likely a bit of an underestimation as well, factor in labour, wiring, refreshing whatever you want to while its out like wear items, new mounting hardware... And then if you want to be even with a stock 330, factor in the estimated cost of bolting up suspension and braking (and probably more) parts from a 330..

You said you were worried about if your car would handle it -- that's a good way to think! If you're worried, get a 330 and sell your 323. You'll be much happier

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Kamil
Däs Klässe

Sitting on KW coils, shes getting cross drilled and slotted rotors with performance pads so hopefully braking will be a little more effective, and the whole suspension kit I bought is composed of Meyle Heavy Duty parts with a new control arm design that BMW apparently changed for the e90s. Also just installed the subframe reinforcement kit so its a firm car and should deffinately hold up the extra few horsepower especially for my daily driving with little abuse.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
cormier
6th Gear Member

Oh well in that case good luck to ya! The m54 is a good amount of power for a DD -- I would imagine the s54 being a lot more complicated as you mentioned

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Why not just put a sc on the car and be done with it, if you want the power for occasional pulls its a good way to go.

You will never get your money back on engine swaps, at least you can sell the sc and car seperatly some day
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Kamil
Däs Klässe

anyone selling a supercharger kit for 2000$ ? lol thought about doing a cheapie turbo build but i need reliability and plus after grabbing larger injectors and a proper tune im sitting in major debt
Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I see no point in doing a half job and usind 2.8 intake or TB...The point is to get ALL the 330 power! For that you will need lots more, and not sure $2500 will cut it. S54 is out of the question even if you get the motor for free; you have to change so many other things, you will run out of $$$ just collecting parts!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
BMe30
all by chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_s999 View Post
Why not just put a sc on the car and be done with it, if you want the power for occasional pulls its a good way to go.

You will never get your money back on engine swaps, at least you can sell the sc and car seperatly some day
Yup...

Look for a centrifugal supercharger and build it custom from there if you cant find a bolt on kit.. Do the research for what you need and how its done... Might be your best solution in short of finding a wrecked 330 and swaping the powertrain/drivetrain into your car

Gone but not forgotten
BMe30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post
anyone selling a supercharger kit for 2000$ ? lol thought about doing a cheapie turbo build but i need reliability and plus after grabbing larger injectors and a proper tune im sitting in major debt
Why do it cheap?????? If you can't afford it, be happy with what you've got.

I want more power in my M5, I can't afford 6K+++ to get a supercharger kit and pay for installation, so I am happy with what I have until I can afford to do it properly.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
goldhawk
1st Gear Newbie

You should really look into emissions regulations before getting too deep into thought on any of this...
Next year new rules are coming in to play, essentially from what I have heard is that your computer vin has to match vehicle vin. There are checks etc in the computer so you can't fool them either.
If your stock computer is modified then you fail.
If you have a check engine light on you fail.
If your car is a 1999 or older then you can apply for a "hot rod " exemption if you swap the motor, but your car is a 2000...
This is just off the top of my head though so don't quote meme... you should look into it more...
goldhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamil View Post

You think the Engine swaps are gonna cost less? At least when u realize you need a better car you can sell the car and sc system separately and make more money.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
dbworld4k
Addict

Just buy my 330Ci and sell your 323

I'm seriously. Lol.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black