Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Scuffed Bumper, thoughts?

What a crappy way to start the day. This would've had to happen either last night or this morning when I stopped by a store. No notes left or anything. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if the whole bumper needs to be repainted or if I can get away with painter's tape and using a spray (I have a can of spray paint of my color code). Any opinions on what would be the smartest solution? Pardon the iPhone cam pics. Also it's worth noting that I posted this same thread on E46Fanatics and a popular option over there is to simply have an airbrush guy take care of it. Would anybody know of contact information for such a person/business that does that? Right now I'm gonna simply start by getting a quote from budd's collision.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

A full respray would be around $500. PM username Derek on here, he knows someone that did really good work airspraying in spot damage on body panels.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
jeff2
Jeff2

That sucks man.
jeff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
desmo
AutoEmployee for Life

Any short-cut other than full removal of the bumper and refinishing will result in some sacrifice on quality. That doenst mean that your only option is 100% or nothing.

-Anything from a rattle can I've never seen look too nice. You may cover the scratch, but the blend with the remaining bumper will never look right. High potential of making it look a lot worse IMO.

-Blending only a corner of the bumper professionally, or "blowing in", will achive the right clear-coat and shine, as well as allow you to fill in the depth of the scratch with some product (if needed).
-The downside here is again, the blend to the remainng bumper is tough. Misting the clearcoat over, with no solid vertical lines to cut off that corner can be hard to wet-sand and buff 100%. Also painting on the car involves the obvious masking or remining car & imperect lines where bumper meets tail-light, 1/4 or trunk lid etc..

My opinion. Overhaul and clear the entire bumper on the car. Remove all chips/scratches/ imperfections and do it right. This is a good balance between quality & expense. (saving money not R/I bumper)

Option 2. Get proper touch-up paint. Not a rattle can, and patiently fix-up the bumper. Save your money for when you find another scratch that makes it worth doing the whole car.

- Michael
Old 09-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
Thank you all for the advice and PM's, very helpful. I decided to go with Budd's as their work in the past for me has been top notch. I was also quoted a reasonable price (hundred bucks and change) along with a 5 hour turnaround. Figured can't really get much better than that anyways and I know their workmanship. They won't be taking the bumper off, rather they'll properly sand it and blend it all in. I will post the results.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

All done

Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
dbworld4k
Addict

For a hundred or so, that looks fantastic even though it's tough to judge from those pics. As long as it looks like nothing happened, you're set

PS. Is that a nasty dent in your wheel arch?!

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Budds BMW?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #9
davericher20
black and blue

should have went with dr colourchip.

That looks like shit, sorry man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

^^ That odd discoloration you see that you may think makes it look like shit is his reflection in the paint. He's down on one knee taking the picture and it looks more like a blotch in the paint than his reflection.

To me, based on those pictures it looks like a great fix for the cost. Maybe I should call them up and get them to do some touch ups on my car. lol
Old 09-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #11
davericher20
black and blue

Oh wow, I see it now thanks. That looks amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

lol sorry guys, that's my reflection that makes it look like garbage. And damn the other reflection looks just like a really nasty dent. In hind-sight that's a horrible pic haha

And it was Budd's collision, they do bodywork for all the budd's dealerships.

EDIT: Here it is with some flash on it, again - I can only do so much with an iphone at the office lol

Last edited by Tutankhamon; 09-14-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Tutankhamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
kevin325
AMG ETR

Looks pretty good to me!

kevin325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: