Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

engine problem in my 528

hey guys
i am soo lost on this one and i need some advice
when the car is cold usually when i turn it on after it has sat over night it starts with no problem but after about one min of idling the rpms will start fluctuating. it is not a rough idle but the rpm will go really low, to the point where the engine almost will shut off then jump back up. today it even shut off and i had to restart it. it starts every time with no problem and the problem only appears when the engine is cold, it never does it in traffic or during every day driving.
the problem appeared with the cold season. i never had the problem during the summer

does anybody have any idea what is wrong ?

Thank you in advance.
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Vacuum leak?
TPS Sensor?
Air conctrol sensor?
Maf?

Those sound like the ones that may be causing your issue.

Check engine?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

no absolutely no check engine light the engine runns like a clock once it worms up
can i clean somehow the sensors or i need to buy new ones ??
also how can i test and make sure i change the faulty one
Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

My first guesses would be; Vacume leak, tbody (notorious for problems on that engine), idle control valve, MAF, cam/crank sensor. The later ones should trigger the CEL, but the first few sometimes don't!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
My first guesses would be; Vacume leak, tbody (notorious for problems on that engine), idle control valve, MAF, cam/crank sensor. The later ones should trigger the CEL, but the first few sometimes don't!
Hook it up to a scanner to get it read... but it does sound like a vacuum leak D:!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

i have a scanner that i will get back from my friend and scan it, but since there is no cell i dnt know if it will do much
also what i don't understand is why does it only do it on a cold start. if there would be a leak or a sensor isn't it supposed to do it every time ?

P.S Eurostyle
Phill thank you for the help on the door
it turned out that all the little teeth on the carrier wore broken so the handle was just moving freely without making contact on anything.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
stoopid
1st Gear Newbie

Hi,

it definitely sounds like the infamous VANOS issue!! Loping idle only when cold. I had the same thing and fixed it using the replacement seals from Beisan. Do a search for the Beisan site and it will give you full details. Cheap fix, $60 for seals and an afternoon in the driveway.

www.beisansystems.com
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

i heard about this as well
i never entirely understood what Vanos does
but i will check in to it
i have an appointment with my mechanic on Wednesday and hopefully i can pin point the problem.
is there a special solution that i can buy and clean the sensors just to try to eliminate the trouble spots one by one
Old 10-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
stoopid
1st Gear Newbie

The VANOS systems uses helical splines between the cams and timing gears along with oil pressure, solenoids and the cam position sensors to advance or retard the cam timing. When the seals in the VANOS wear out, the pistons in the vanos cannot hold oil pressure and set the cams to the proper settings.

One of the tests for the problem is to disconect one of the two solenoids (can't remember which) and if the issue goes away, then this is your problem. Do you also have a lack of power in low RPM and then notice a boost of power as your revs increase around 3000 rpm? This is another sign of the problem. I noticed a difference in low end torque after I replaced my seals.

Good luck!
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Hitesh
1st Gear Newbie

Hey buddy, I am the bimmer guy down the road from...I see that you are having some cold start issues... though I am no mechanic, it sounds like a cold start valve/idle control valve issue since it only happens in cold conditions. BTW, I have a spare used MAF from my car if you would like to try and eliminate that as the culprit...let me know 416-500-0090...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
i have a scanner that i will get back from my friend and scan it, but since there is no cell i dnt know if it will do much
also what i don't understand is why does it only do it on a cold start. if there would be a leak or a sensor isn't it supposed to do it every time ?

P.S Eurostyle
Phill thank you for the help on the door
it turned out that all the little teeth on the carrier wore broken so the handle was just moving freely without making contact on anything.
Hitesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

hey today the check engine light finally come on with a p0101 code
faulty maf sensor
and a few moments later the transition malfunction light come on with a p1770 code and the transmission started hard shifting
i already got a new maf that is going on first thing tomorrow morning, but my question is how in the world will a faulty MAF mess with the transmission since the codes come one right after the other ??
Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_e39 View Post
hey today the check engine light finally come on with a p0101 code
faulty maf sensor
and a few moments later the transition malfunction light come on with a p1770 code and the transmission started hard shifting
i already got a new maf that is going on first thing tomorrow morning, but my question is how in the world will a faulty MAF mess with the transmission since the codes come one right after the other ??
Now that i think of it, i have seen it on 323/328's...same motor. Not sure how its related tho, but when MAF unpluged, the transmission would go to limp mode!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
MANDD
Autobahn East

The Mass air meter provides the engine torque signal via CAN. This is used by the EGS (transmission) control unit for shift control.

Mark.
MANDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
wolf_e39
2nd Gear Member

ooo ok i see
well the new maf was installed today and all i have to say is engine runns quiet the transmission shifts proper it dosent run rough. in other words all the problems have gone away. The problem was that my maf was missing one of the filament looking things inside the housing, therefore getting an improper reading
I am also very happy that it was my mechanic that broke it and i got a 600$ part for free
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Your car is trying to self destruct because you installed those hideous foglights on it.
On a brighter note a new MAF should improve your fuel consumption and the responsiveness/feel of your engine. When I had to replace both of mine, I couldn't believe the difference.

On a serious note, I had no idea that a MAF would cause the tranny to act up. You learn something new everyday. Thanks MANND

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: