Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
grant_jr
2nd Gear Member

General Insurance

Greetings fellow board members,

My name is Milton and I have been on these board for a few months now and am about to my my first e30 purchase.

I have read up a lot about the car and have even gone out to see the one I will be purchasing, my only problem is finding and insurer that will insure a 20 year old vehicle...

I have spoken with a few companies but the rates are just weird, more than what I used to pay with a newer model vehicle...

So please, if you spare two seconds and let me know who you are dealing with, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

I would suggest you shop arround with various direct wirter's such as Belair, TD, etc, and do a few inquiries with some insurance brokers as they deal with multiple insurers, but do charge a small surcharge on the premium for their service. Hockeyfan27 on here is a broker.
Lang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
jasonbaek
2nd Gear Member

Try TD and Dejardins. They gave me best rates among the others..
jasonbaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

They specialize in making you 'broker'.

Currently I get my bank account adjusted on a monthly basis by the Dominion of Canada General Insurance company.

Really the rate I pay isn't horrible but consider that when I first had insurance (1st car with no insurance history and I was 26) it cost me about 122 a month in Ottawa. This went DOWN for the following few years, I think it was just over 100$ before I moved to Quebec. There I used Desjardens and I payed for the entire year (1st year around $900, second year around $500 and the last year I was in quebec I payed $380...)

Then I move back to Ontario and the best I can get was $89 a month. It has gone up small increments every year and currently it's $104 a month. Who knows what they'll charge me next year. $104 is for the BARE BONES minimum insurance I can get, and i drive under 5km a day.

I called and asked "hey how come my buddy who is roughly the same age as me, has 2 drivers, has the same 0 convictions as me - pays about $128 for his 2010 Hyundai - with full coverage?"

I get pissed off from time to time and attempt to look for other insurance and the rates are laughable Royal Bank wanted over 3k! For minimal insurance.

I suggest you find a broker that deals with Dominion or Desjardens and move as far from Toronto as possible. If you are young you're screwed. Also ask them if they discount for paying the entire year up front.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 08-23-2012 at 02:59 PM.
InfiniteDice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

despite what hockey says and does for a living. insurance in ontario is pure scam. 100 % robbery
Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
despite what hockey says and does for a living. insurance in ontario is pure scam. 100 % robbery
Insurance is a scam almost everywhere...

Old 08-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #7
grant_jr
2nd Gear Member

Progressive is ridiculous. When my dad bought his be van a few years back they wouldn't give home insurance because some lady rear ended him.

I wish I lived Quebec. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, I'll check out Dominion and TD. Hopefully it won't turn out to be an arm and a leg.

Anyone like to lend me their Quebec address?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
Goochbot
1st Gear Newbie

Would anyone be able to provide me with an insurance quote or recommend an insurance company to look at for 80's e30's?

I have looked around the boards (not extensively, but I have checked) and if this has already been covered or there is an existing thread please direct me to it.

Thank you.
Goochbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
grant_jr
2nd Gear Member

905 453 6633

Ask for Roop.

I was quoted 340 for FULL Coverage on a 1990 325i, clean record.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #10
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

340 a month? I'd rather cut my own head off with a wooden spatula.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
grant_jr
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure but that was the cheapest I was getting after calling around... :s
Old 08-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
Trekz
4th Gear Member

that does sound kinda high, i was paying $340/mth for a 06 ranger, now paying $370 for 99 caddy and my 95 e36 318 was quoted at $390. I have 3 tickets + an accident on my record and under 25
Trekz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
E30 Girl
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to E30 Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_jr View Post
905 453 6633

Ask for Roop.

I was quoted 340 for FULL Coverage on a 1990 325i, clean record.
I'm not paying that for an 05 S2000 and I have tickets.

Not much new car but my 1992 318is was costing me $93/m

Also unless the car is spotless no rust and you paid more then $4000 or could sell it for that it's a waste of money for full coverage if you smash it they will write it off and give you $1000 MAYBE!
E30 Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Lang75
220 Kph, E39 on Autobahn

Thought this might be of interest for those who have been questioning the high insurance rates in Ontario.
__________________________________________________ _______________________

The "price is wrong" for Ontario auto insurance: IBC

Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC)’s public awareness campaign on Ontario auto insurance has listened to disgruntled consumers and now aims to promote understanding of the reasons behind stubbornly high rates.

“We wanted to find out what Ontarians were thinking about the high cost of auto insurance,” says IBC Ontario vice president Ralph Palumbo. “So we hit the road over the summer to listen to their concerns and encourage discussion about how to bring these costs down. Not surprisingly, Ontarians had a lot to say.”

That consumer feedback forms the basis of a 30-minute television special The Price is Wrong, which airs on OMNI TV Sept. 2 at noon. Canadian broadcaster and writer Peter Feniak answers common questions about auto insurance and explains how Ontario drivers are victims of what IBC reports as the growing abuse of the insurance system through fraud.

“What we pay for insurance is based on the cost of claims and in many cases the costs are ‘through the roof’ as a result of fraud and abuse in the system,” says Steve Kee, director of media relations for IBC. “Until we can get costs under control, we will continue to have premiums that we all agree are too high.”

IBC is continuing to visit markets across Ontario to gather consumer information about auto insurance as part of the awareness campaign.
Lang75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

They'll never drop the prices. If the government made a law tomorrow that said "people need to buy coffee" furthermore... You need to buy at least 'x' amount of coffee. Otherwise you are breaking the law.

Guess what happens to the price of coffee in Ontario?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: