Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
//Mik3
2nd Gear Member

Question Anyone have experience with Raven performance?

I'm sort of confused and am just looking for feedback if possible.. Is Raven performance a Indy shoppe? Are they a race shoppe that is more into Racing and less into repairs (if that makes sense) ?? I h e been in contact with John and he's been great to deal with in diagnosing my car.. Then all of a sudden no replies via email, phone calls to full message box, no one answering the phone for 2 weeks ..

I can understand if they're not interested in looking at my issue if it doesn't promise a lot of $$$ in service it was actually johns suggestion they take a look as it may be something minor. Or are they gone to some 24 hour Race overseas or something? I've never seen anyone disappear for 2 weeks before

This issue with my car is fix it or sell the car so it's a priority for me as I'm holding off integrate buyers and even took my ad down in the meantime due to overwhelming response...
//Mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Race shop mostly. They might be travelling all over north america since they all race in BMW CR. Very good work and race prepped cars, but high cost goes with that. I didn't even know they do general repair work at all. Go to RMP for that
Old 08-28-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
//Mik3
2nd Gear Member

Ahh makes sense I figure they're just busy. It wasn't really general repair it was more of a specific issue that they were willing to help out with. I'll just be patient and wait until I can get some of their time
//Mik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
E30S54
Banned

Honestly, John is just a sales man.

I personally know of two real race car owners that have had big problems that other shops had to fix.

He will charge you big $$ then send you on your way with a overheating not running properly car.

PM me for more info....
E30S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Check your PM
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

For repair work you should go to a repair shop and for race work you should be talking to a race shop.

The 2 shops not only think differently but they also have different solutions to same problems
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
pcarroll
1st Gear Newbie

These comments are unfair and deserve a response...

Quote:
Honestly, John is just a sales man.

I personally know of two real race car owners that have had big problems that other shops had to fix.

He will charge you big $$ then send you on your way with a overheating not running properly car.
Raven (http://ravenperformance.com) is a race shop yes. But, they also share space and ownership with Bavarian Motors (http://bavarianmotors.ca) which is a full service independent BMW shop. This means they cover the full spectrum of BMW mechanical work under one roof. Sometimes you need a race shop. Sometimes you don't. But they are excellent at both and channel the work to the most appropriate person.

John is not just a salesman. He is also a BMWCCA National Champion in C-Mod. In fact Raven cars won the CM championship the last 4 out of 5 years. In 2009, Raven cars finished 1-2-3 in the North American Championship. So if you want a car built by a BMWCCA racing champion, then it's a pretty good choice. John is not a mechanic. But his partner Steve Galits is - a BMW master mechanic. They also employ other equally talented mechanics and fabricators.

I am aware of situations where people brought other shop's disasters to Raven to fix. I have seen some of those cars and they should not pass tech. Raven fixed what they were asked to fix. And advised of other problems that needed to be addressed. Of course the customer often knows better. If they blew up later, it's not likely the fault of the Raven work.

I am a happy customer yes. I have 3 C-Mod titles under my belt and one 2nd place. I don't have a lot of power, or a lot of crazy megabuck parts. If I win, it's usually due to the setup and reliability of my car. In the rare cases where I have crashed... it was due to dumb ass decisions made by the driver. The car is just stellar. My wife is also in love with her Raven prepared street M3. She can catch instructor driver GT3s...

When I bought my first used BMW 15 years ago, I asked 5 people where I should go for service. They all said the same thing. I've never looked back. If you have concerns about taking your car to Raven, please feel free to PM me.

Peter

Last edited by pcarroll; 09-13-2012 at 04:46 PM.
pcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
davericher20
black and blue

If its general repair, bavarian would take care of that. It's the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
marks525
3rd Gear Member

+1 for Bavarian. Steve is a great guy!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Shop has been nick named "rape em performance" by many, lol. For obvious reasons, you should avoid this shop. I was once quoted $250 by John to balance a set of M3 wheels on my short lived Eurospec M3. He also tried to sell me a set of used sway bar endlinks for $180. They were rusted badly and I refused. A friend of mine had his M3 race car built there. It was a salvage title and they honestly did a piss poor job on the restoration. I have no quarrels with John. He's a nice guy, great driver, just should not be in business.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
E30S54
Banned

^^^^

I like this guy!
E30S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
mleone4
1st Gear Newbie

Anyone who puts down someone else badly (see above) either has a problem with themselves or the other person. Considering John is an expert at BMW's and currently races and maintains other people's BMWs (like my 2003 M3) and keeps them happy, that means he's obviously doing a great job.

I have raced and won in karts all over Ontario, done many successful and fast private kart tests in Italy both gas and electric and with a friend who races karts in Italy, driven many high performance cars in Germany and Italy, taken many BMW, Nissan and Ford performance driving courses in Canada, and I have to say the M3 that John prepares for me is great with fair pricing! Same with his business partner Steve at Bavarian.

I did the Mosport Sept 8 and 9 Performance Driving Course for the first time in my 2003 M3 (I just got it 4 months ago) with John and Peter. Thanks to them, by the end of the weekend I was passing or catching up to in the corners Porsches, Ferraris and Corvettes both in the rain and dry as my dad once did when he raced at Mosport in the 70's. Peter let me ride shotgun in his Raven prepped M3 and it was well hooked up and doing fast laps passing other instructors.

I wish I had more money to put my money where my mouth is but I can safely say I am impressed with Raven as are others who have replied above and countless others who have not. If you are going to criticize someone, first look at yourself.
mleone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
mleone4
1st Gear Newbie

PS Peter was also a great instructor at Mosport.
mleone4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #14
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
Anybody can spend $1,000,000 on an E36 and go "fast"...

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: