Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
MisTAmaN
2nd Gear Member

oem stock radio vs audio upgrade

this may be a stupid question but has anyone installed an amp and sub with just the original oem radio? i am trying to keep it as original as possible plus i have a fm transmitter for the ipod and built on my phone.

the reason i ask is because i have a system in the process of installing and after i broke my oem radio,(only one from 5 e30's i have owned worked) i realized most decks will not match nicely the interior. plus, i got a oem cd changer laying around and i figured that i could get premium sound oem radio that goes with the cd changer and put in the sub and amp and then im set.

so really what have people done with there oem audio.

p.s im also looking for a stock oem e30 radio. premium sound or base model is fine. If not, a single din dvd deck would work.

help appreciated
Jon
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
cormier
6th Gear Member

Just wire it using speaker wire splicing from the rear speakers as your signal-- won't be as nice a a dedicated RCA output for a sub on your deck though

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
DR.ZED
3rd Gear Member

There are what are called "line level" converters, like what was mentioned above. You use one of the rear speakers and take two wires off them and connect to this small $20 part. The other side are regular RCA outputs which you connect to your amp.

I did this in my 09 Jetta and though there are better ways to do this, its the quickest and easiest way to add some base. You'll be surprised at how great it does sound for minimal investment.

85 325e M5
07 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
DR.ZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
RedEye
Hater of Previous Owners

Anything you can play directly will probably sound pretty good, but every ipod FM transmitter I've heard sounds like ass.
RedEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
every ipod FM transmitter I've heard sounds like ass.
I've had good luck with the Griffin iTrip when I owned Apple MP3 devices. That said, I don't live in the GTA and I can imagine finding an empty signal there is fairly difficult and requires something with some decent power.
karmatose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: