Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Exclamation How a $31.50 T.O. parking ticket turned into $70,537 in court costs

the writings really on the wall with this one (imo) we're fook'd
you will bend over & take whatever we shove up your @ss with a big smile or Else!

Quote:
In November of 2007, Dr. Anna Marie Arenson, a radiologist at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, parked her car on Bayview Avenue in Toronto near the hospital where she works. It was cold, and a blizzard was in full effect. She popped $3 into the pay-and-display meter, but the machine refused to issue a receipt. She tried another one up the block, but got the same result. Giving up, she decided to go for dinner. When she returned, Dr. Arenson found a $31.50 parking ticket stuck to her windshield.

Certain that it had something to do with inclement weather and condensation – otherwise why would both machines fail to work at once? – she decided to fight the ticket. Convinced that she was not alone and that there could be tens of thousands of drivers who’d experienced the same situation, she decided to launch a class-action suit against the city. That was her first mistake.

According to an article in the National Post, after an Ontario court judge dismissed her plea for a class-action lawsuit, and argument that went all the way to the Supreme Court of Canada, Dr. Arenson has been ordered to pay the city’s legal bills – a sum in the amount of $70,537.

In his ruling, Justice Paul Perell of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice said, “I do not doubt that Dr. Arenson’s proposed class action interested the public and I appreciate that it attracted some media attention. However, that a case is interesting to the public does not mean that it is public interest litigation.”

Dr. Arenson, who was defended by her former husband, says she wasn’t in it for the money. “This is about small wrongs multiplied over a great number of people. We still think the city is taking money out of the parkers’ pockets and we want to investigate this in a transparent manner,” says Mr. Arenson. “We are open to making some kind of settlement if it leads to an impartial investigation that is publicly available.”

What is most worrisome about this case is that it sets the tone for future class action lawsuits of this kind. As Mr. Arenson says, It really “casts into doubt whether the class-action system works in public interest litigation.” The Arensons plan on appealing both the certification dismissal and the cost ruling.

For now, Judge Purell has made his ruling clear. “That a person brings a proceeding out of a bona fide concern to vindicate his or her concern of the public interest does not necessarily insulate that person from an award of costs.”

Although Dr. Arenson may have a case, my tendency is to side with the judge. If every time someone wanted to file a class action suit against a city that city were responsible for paying the tab, we’d have a lot of broke cities. On the other hand, it does send a strong message to those who are thinking of utilizing the class-action system, especially for public interest litigation.

What are your thoughts?

MANY COMMENTS:
http://blog.yourmoney.ca/2012/08/doc...rking-war.html
If they'll do that to a Dr protesting/ legally fighting their BS parking ticket -theft/criminal conspiracy - scam.. what hope does the average peasant have?
Old 08-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

none dude.

we are suppose to drink/eat our high fructose corn syrup meals. Watch the bachelor/bacherlorette, all live in the exact same style condos, drive the exact same looking cars, and make the same exact same wages.

I for one surrendered, just over a year ago.

obey.

Last edited by sirex; 08-16-2012 at 06:28 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

None. Time to tie up loose ends and gtfo. A lot of people are doing this, myself included.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

where are you going 5 style?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

You dont like it? There are way better civilized countries you could live in.

I didnt like..!! I packed my bags, sold my E46 and shipped my E30 with me. Best move I ever did.

Canada just eats the days of your life away, until 20-30 yrs later that you notice you are still in the same exact spot. Yes I'm educated.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
StikiGreenZ
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to StikiGreenZ
^ Your location still says you're in Canada. So where did you move to?

BMW 645i - Black on Red
Range Rover Sport - Black on Black
StikiGreenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Dinanstu
3rd Gear Member

Class Action for a parking ticket is idiotic.
While the Ontario Supreme Coourt is mulling over this crap, the real cases are waiting...

These two thought they could take the City to court for free and tie up the system to "prove a point".

If that bothers you so much that you want to leave Canada - get packing....
Old 08-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikigreenz View Post
^ your location still says you're in canada. So where did you move to?
uae..
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloush View Post
You dont like it? There are way better civilized countries you could live in.

I didnt like..!! I packed my bags, sold my E46 and shipped my E30 with me. Best move I ever did.

Canada just eats the days of your life away, until 20-30 yrs later that you notice you are still in the same exact spot. Yes I'm educated.
OMG, I feel like this, exactly like this.

Any tips? I am itching to break free, but chicken shit.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

lol Ive thought about packing my bags long ago too.

but chicken shit is right. plus when you have all your roots and fam here. its tough
Old 08-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Aloush
3rd Gear Member

As a single guy it was an easy decision. Had alot of buddies who were older than me with very well established businesses, yet they aren't living how they should be and are chasing the $$ week in week out. I was afraid to get to their age and be in the same position. Started applying for jobs around the world from Coast to coast.

My advice is do your research on a country that you're interested in and ask.
Then apply for jobs in your domain and others, some are desperate for even your language skills. Better yet find out what that country needs or is missing and see if you can either bring it over from Canada or start it up yourself. Could be a service or a product, w/e it is.

"if you're not happy" The longer you postpone the easier it will be to give up and be accepting of your current status.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
DAM
Trinational 951

Ascribed, or pack your bags
Old 09-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #13
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloush View Post
As a single guy it was an easy decision. Had alot of buddies who were older than me with very well established businesses, yet they aren't living how they should be and are chasing the $$ week in week out. I was afraid to get to their age and be in the same position. Started applying for jobs around the world from Coast to coast.

My advice is do your research on a country that you're interested in and ask.
Then apply for jobs in your domain and others, some are desperate for even your language skills. Better yet find out what that country needs or is missing and see if you can either bring it over from Canada or start it up yourself. Could be a service or a product, w/e it is.

"if you're not happy" The longer you postpone the easier it will be to give up and be accepting of your current status.
so you think UAE's quality of life is better in compared to Canada? HAHAHAH
are you insane? a place where you get put to death for selling less than an ounce of marijuana.
Kissing in public is ILLEGAL and will go to jail for doing so.
sex outside of marriage is prohibited and can go to jail.
how about making a simple accounting error and bouncing a cheque? that gets you jail time aswell.

You really made a great decision by leaving lol!

Canada is and still will remain one of the greatest countries in the world.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Canada is by far better imo, better for the criminals any ways.

However still my choice over the UAE since I may have sex once in a while illegally lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: