Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
bayerish 325
2nd Gear Member

Best tire pressure gauge

Hi,
I have 3 tire pressure gauges giving three different (and obviously very inaccurate) readings.
What is the best tire pressure gauge out there? Are the ones on sale at Canadian Tire for under $20 good and accurate?
I am looking for something very accurate and reliable.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by bayerish 325; 07-26-2011 at 10:31 PM.
bayerish 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
crxgsr
BMW

pressure fluctuates with the temperature and weather. Also altitude plays a role as well.

Generally, accuracy isn't the most important thing, As long as the two fronts are the same and rear two are the same. (and the pressures are somewhat close to specs).

You can go with a digital gauge if you want more accuracy.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I find this style to be the most accurate:

But i agree with crxgsr, if its off by 1-2 PSI its not a big deal, as it will be evenly off by the same amount for each tire.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
pawcio
6th Gear Member

i'm pretty sure that none of those cheap store bought tire pressure gauges are properly calibrated. in which case its hard to say which one gives the most accurate reading. therefore i have to agree with consistency vs accuracy statement as long as its not too much out of whack. being digital doesn't mean its properly calibrated...pencil, dial and digital gauges can be equally good or bad.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
bayerish 325
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for your input. It is true that weather conditions, altitude, temperature etc... are to take into consideration. It makes sense to go for consistency between tires fronts and rears (since it seems unfortunately impossible to get accuracy). But, how can I can I know if I am even close to specs when 5 (yes 5) gauges are off 4 to 7 PSI???

The BMW owner manual is quite specific about which tire pressures should be used according to different speeds and number of passengers.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #6
pawcio
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerish 325 View Post
But, how can I can I know if I am even close to specs when 5 (yes 5) gauges are off 4 to 7 PSI???
spend a small fortune http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?ref=DPG4000-KIT

this thing even compensates for temperature.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 PM   #7
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

If anyone is looking for a good/accurate tire guage, I bought this one from this place.
I thought Id post here, since I think it seems like a quality product at a fair price.

ACCUGAGE PROFESSIONAL TIRE GAUGE from Aircraft Spruce

This very accurate bourdon tube tire gauge offers precision pressure control and a rugged steel case with rubber shock-absorbing cover. It comes complete with a 12" long flexible braided hose, a bleeder valve, and stop hand. It is easy to read the pressure on this 2" gauge with 1" psi markings and 60 lb. range. Excellent for use on aircraft tires as well as cars and trucks.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #8
bayerish 325
2nd Gear Member

Many thanks. Definitely looks like a great product and at a very fair price! I will order one.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #9
noodles101
ΛΦΕ

when i used to work in a shop. all the mechenics used the rounded dial ones.

the ones that are ONLY for checking pressure, NOT the ones where you can check pressure and add pressure at the same time.

i personally use ..the canadian tire 'pen' style ones..lol i think its good enough.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
Killerbimmer
1st Gear Newbie

i find of all the tire guages out there and i have bought a lot. The old fashioned pencil guage usually lasts the longest and i find is the most accurate
Killerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: