Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

facelift coupe headlight questions: Please help

I have a facelift coupe and the headlight housing is sealed (or was). I wanted to get angel eyes but when I read that it would require putting my headlights in the oven in order to open them up I decided against it. Anyway, I've been parking outside lately and after the severe wind/thunderstorm we experienced here a few nights ago I noticed some moisture has gotten inside one of my headlights and now it's all fogged up. It is driving me crazy! How do I get the moisture out and detect and repair the seal? Also, perhaps now would be the time to do the angel eye thing? If anyone has experience in doing this or can recommend a place to have it done please chime in.

Lastly Iv'e been meaning to ask about this since I've owned the car. It is an 04 330ci (MP pkg) Is it supposed to have self leveling headlights or was that an option? I thought that was standard on all face lift coupes but mine don't seem to move. Also, I notice the light beam cut off line seems to be somewhat A-symmetrical between the driver and passenger side lights. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
vic325ci
2nd Gear Member

I did it on my 325, it took me the better part of a day but it was worth it. It's not as complicated or risky as it seems. I followed one of the DIY's posted on a BMW forum and they turned out pretty good lol. Naturally, baking your headlights in your oven sounds a bit dangerous but I think it only has to be 300 degrees, and you only need them to be in there for about 20 min. Once you remove them, the silicone holding the headlight together is soft enough that you can separate the headlight easily...then all you have to do is install the angel eyes, re-silicone the headlights (I used a tube and a half to make sure I had no leaks) and bam! Facelift angel eyes...Just check out some DIY's
vic325ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

OK cool. That inspires some confidence..Got any pics?

I am still hoping someone answers the second part of my post.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

You only have self-leveling if you have factory xenon headlights. If you have factory xenon lights, and they're not doing the level test when you turn the ignition on, then the problem is most likely one or both of the level senders attached to the suspension.

Regarding baking the headlights, 200*F for 12min is all you need to soften the sealant and separate the headlights. DO NOT ADD SILICONE when reassembling the lights. You will never open the headlights again if you do. Silicone doesn't soften when heated. Just line the parts back up again and reheat, and press together. This is all the sealing you need. I did this on my car and it's not that hard, pretty easy actually. I would recommend getting decent AE's though, none of that khoalty crap, a lesson I learned the hard way. If you have any fear of tossing the lights in the oven, worry not, 200*F isn't hot enough to boil water let alone melt plastic.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
moto-menace
3rd Gear Member

Thank you very much
Old 09-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Renboy
3rd Gear Member

All good, let me know if you need any help.
Renboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: