Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Anyone here driving for UberX?

UberX is getting a lot of attention from both the insurance industry and police in the past few weeks due to an accident involving an UberX driver while transporting a fare. Shortly after this incident there was a sting called "Operation Snowball" conducted by Toronto Police - 12 Division. targeting UberX operators.

I just had my first call for a quote where the client disclosed he was picking up UberX passengers. The only way to cover this properly is with a Taxi policy =~ $8000/yr. If any of you have signed up for UberX, I'm curious; is there actually the potential to earn enough revenue to cover this kind of operating expense?

1998 328ic - Sold

Last edited by hockeyfan27; 04-08-2015 at 03:03 PM.
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

I'm sure 99% of drivers for UberX do not disclose anything to their insurance company.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_bimmer View Post
I'm sure 99% of drivers for UberX do not disclose anything to their insurance company.
More like 99.999999%. I thought the whole reason to do it was to make cash on the side without having to wade through the paperwork? lol

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the whole thing, but it does sound interesting. Not to do it myself, but the way in which the business works and how its being dealt with by the government.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #4
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

$8000 per year insurance policy is only fraction of the cost of the license to operate a Taxi.

I don't see this Uber movement being anything new. There has always been a non-licensed hired car around and I don't think they would disclose anything to the insurance company.
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

So there is now a bill proposed to the Ontario legislature that will stiffen fines and penalties for unlicensed "bandit taxis".

Quote:
If enacted, Bill 53 would amend the Highway Traffic Act to include a provision wherein officers who believe “on reasonable and probable grounds” that they have encountered a bandit taxi
driver committing the offense twice in a five-year period can suspend that individual’s driver’s license and impound the automobile for 30 days.

Bill 53 would also raise the minimum fine from $300 to $500, and the maximum from $20,000 to $30,000.
article here: Bill 53: the death of Uber in Ontario?

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

O god. Really? This is becoming such a money hungry police state it is ridiculous! (insurance co's aren't helping either!)
1) Introduce a waiver of some kind
2) Make it strictly 'your" responsibility to get into an unknown individual's car for the purpose of transportation.
DONE!

Liability these days is getting out of control!

Feels like the next time you give a stranger a ride because they are stuck waiting for a bus in the middle of a snow storm, you'd be liable for kidnapping!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #7
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
O god. Really? This is becoming such a money hungry police state it is ridiculous! (insurance co's aren't helping either!)
2) Make it strictly 'your" responsibility to get into an unknown individual's car for the purpose of transportation.
DONE!

Feels like the next time you give a stranger a ride because they are stuck waiting for a bus in the middle of a snow storm, you'd be liable for kidnapping!
Sadly, Nazi Canada will not allow this to happen. All the government wants to do is to control every aspect of our lives.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe46 View Post
Sadly, Nazi Canada will not allow this to happen. All the government wants to do is to control every aspect of our lives.
All it is doing is turning EVERYONE into a complete, narcissistic, self indulgent ASSHOLE! (and I know how that feels HA!)

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #9
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbe46 View Post
every political opinion you post in every thread is ridiculous and most of the time shows a very superficial understanding of the topic

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #10
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Had to QFT this. Ever had to deal with the Ministry of Labour/WSIB? I swear they try their hardest to ensure that nobody gets any real work done.
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
DONE!

As insurance is written into law, there are statutory conditions on the automobile insurance policy that cannot be signed away with a waiver, namely injury protection coverage for an occupant which by law is ultimately shouldered by the owner of the vehicle. That makes your 2nd point work in reverse. An unknown individual getting into a car you own for transportation is your responsibility.

An extreme comparison would be: Signing a waiver allowing someone to kill you against your will.

This is a "chicken vs egg" discussion of sorts. What came first? A money hungry police state who tries "to control every aspect of our lives" or the litigious citizens who sue anyone they can peg blame on because they didn't feel their hand was being held firmly enough. Which begat which?

1998 328ic - Sold
Old 04-25-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
/Alessandro\
Hellrotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
So there is now a bill proposed to the Ontario legislature that will stiffen fines and penalties for unlicensed "bandit taxis".

article here: Bill 53: the death of Uber in Ontario?
What else is new, this country loves taxing and creating new ways to make money off of the middle class
Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #13
South
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
every political opinion you post in every thread is ridiculous and most of the time shows a very superficial understanding of the topic
A word from someone who holds a piece of paper, and been round the world with an open mind, over your dumb rich bmw enthusiast head. The ppl who lash out at the west for being right wing are more conscious than those that don't. Wake up you old **** or stfu.
South is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #14
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by /Alessandro\ View Post
What else is new, this country loves taxing and creating new ways to make money off of the middle class
Well said.

When this Uber thing caught on, the only the government proposed is banning or taxing or fining instead of changing the rules to accommodate a changing economy. If they are not going after our money, I don't know what their intentions are.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #15
SickFinga

hockeyfan27, got an unrelated question. If I have a G license and then I'll get AZ license, would it reduce my premiums on a passenger car?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: