Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
CSL Rim Cracked, need advice.

I'll be posting pictures up soon, but I'm posting to see what would be the recommended course of action at this point.

Over the weekend, my rear passenger side tire was losing air at a fairly quick rate. It would go completely flat after about 4 hours. I took it to get looked at thinking I ran over a nail or something only to discover an actual crack and physical separation of the metal in the rim itself

Is something like that repairable (ie welded etc) or is it even worth it? Personally I'm leaning towards getting a brand new rim.

Some additional information: My car is lowered, however I don't run any crazy amounts of negative camber. The tire that was mounted on it wasn't stretched at all, it's a Hankook V12 265/30/19. The rim is 19x9.5. I don't know the offset of the rear rim on non M's, are they typically ET45? This rim is a CSL rep made by Velocity

Anybody local that may have these in stock?
Old 07-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

It's a VMR wheel. Don't bother repairing it, it's never the same and they're not the greatest quality to begin with. Pretty sure VMR can get you one 19x9.5 ET45 wheel for a bit more than the cost of re-welding yours from a reputable shop. Some shops won't even touch cracked wheels because of potential future liabilities.

edit: Call Allen at Simply Tire. He carries VMR wheels. If not, try Bimmian or Tires23.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Buy a new one, rep wheels suck, eventually you will get tired with all the shit and buy some OEM or legit wheels.

Been there, done that.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Whip_lash
3rd Gear Member

Anyone know how much shops usually charge to fix a cracked rim? like an inch crack?
Whip_lash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip_lash View Post
Anyone know how much shops usually charge to fix a cracked rim? like an inch crack?
$250 is what I was quoted from Union Rim Repair on Caledonia for a bent rim. The fix was flawless and they refinished the chrome lip as well. I'd imagine it be the same if not close for a crack.

But like Anuk said, you're better off getting a new rim. It'll cost you $300 at most (I think) if it's a VMR as from what I recall a set of 4 costs around $900~$1000. Brand new rim with piece of mind, or, cracked rim that was repaired that won't ever be balanced 100% again.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Buy a new one, rep wheels suck, eventually you will get tired with all the shit and buy some OEM or legit wheels.

Been there, done that.
+1239123. Never buying cheap rep wheels again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E. View Post
$250 is what I was quoted from Union Rim Repair on Caledonia for a bent rim. The fix was flawless and they refinished the chrome lip as well. I'd imagine it be the same if not close for a crack.

But like Anuk said, you're better off getting a new rim. It'll cost you $300 at most (I think) if it's a VMR as from what I recall a set of 4 costs around $900~$1000. Brand new rim with piece of mind, or, cracked rim that was repaired that won't ever be balanced 100% again.
Precisely.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post

Been there, done that.
Took you guys long enough to make the connection.

Knock offs suck and you'll pay in the end. Cast sucks in general - cracked all 4 AXIS Halo wheels after a couple months of use.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
TheMadChigga
Taiwan Panda Racing Unit.

Send a message via ICQ to TheMadChigga Send a message via AIM to TheMadChigga Send a message via MSN to TheMadChigga
+1 on getting new one instead of fixing it, I fixed my M6 reps twice and it cracked again, ever since then I've just been buying custom wheels, not to mention they just have this classy feel to them that reps can't match.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #9
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Not all reps are bad.. my experience with VMR wheels on my Audi was great just to give some contrast.

Depending on the crack it can be welded if you go to someone who actually knows what they're doing. Otherwise you're better off replacing the wheel completely as said.

As for cast wheels sucking, the majority of wheels are cast even OEM wheels. Also about OEM wheels, many of them suck as well to the point that some bend/crack more then replicas.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
330Hi
4th Gear Member

Buy my OEM ZCPs!

---------------------
330Hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #11
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

On of my OEM ZCP were cracked, Wasn't losing air but decided to buy a replacement for safety.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

two of my wheels were previous welded (during the PO)... its only about a 2" weld on each on the inside of the wheel. I only noticed months later..and the PO had died so its not like I could email and ask. go talk to someone who knows whats up. if its not bad it could be fixed(mine are fine).
Old 07-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
PatrolOne
1st Gear Newbie

Welding can be fine, depends on the quality of the rim and the tech. I had Union do mine, and it was only another $50 on top of the refinishing I was already having done.

My rims are out of production, and expensive to buy used...

Last edited by PatrolOne; 07-24-2012 at 10:30 PM.
PatrolOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Tutankhamon
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Tutankhamon Send a message via AIM to Tutankhamon Send a message via MSN to Tutankhamon
I guess that's what I'm debating with here. This rim has been a bit of a badluck rim for me. It's the only rim that has curb rash (3 others are perfect). I've had it repaired once and repainted. The paint came out too dark so it have to be re-repainted. Then it got curb rash again! Then to top it off, the paint started to flake off! With it being a CSL rep, they're not too expensive and fairly popular so I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the peace of mind of getting a new one and using this as an opportunity to ditch this bad luck wheel.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #15
PatrolOne
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutankhamon View Post
I guess that's what I'm debating with here. This rim has been a bit of a badluck rim for me. It's the only rim that has curb rash (3 others are perfect). I've had it repaired once and repainted. The paint came out too dark so it have to be re-repainted. Then it got curb rash again! Then to top it off, the paint started to flake off! With it being a CSL rep, they're not too expensive and fairly popular so I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and get the peace of mind of getting a new one and using this as an opportunity to ditch this bad luck wheel.
If that's the story, and you want a perfect set, just buy one, keep the cracked one as a spare maybe.
PatrolOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: