Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #31
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
hes the one who wrote the article...
You didn't include a link to the article and it doesn't mention that he wrote it in the OP.

It makes sense that Bill is bitching about the new M cars, he's an E30 guy
Old 07-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #32
parm
Scarboro Mazda S&L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I've owned an e34 M5, I currently own e39 M5's and I've driven or ridden in a variety of other M and non M BMW's. Having said that, there isn't a car that I desire more, today, than an F10 M5 or Alpina B7.

The only issue is, I cannot afford them. If I had the means, I would own every gen M5 produced (maybe except the e60) and use them, appreciate them and enjoy them as they were intended.

Evolution of a Brand, accept it or move on.

I'm with Terry on this point !
parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #33
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

The E92 M3 GTS is the real track rat pumped out by ///M for E9X chassis. The Lime Rock edition is for those in the USA. E36 M3 LTW was the US version of the M3 GT, and so on.

The lime rock edition is made to boost sales, because the guys in the USA will spend it. I went with a friend of mine to Pfaff to price out a 996 GT3 they had there few years back, and well the orange GT3 they had there had a extra couple of grand option for a body coloured painted gas cap. I do not doubt the truth that someone would pay for it, because the previous owner of the car traded it in so he can get the new GT3 before his friend. The same thing will happen with the M3s.

The reality of it is BMW can make a true enthusiast car, and sell it...but the limited amount of production that would be ordered would not give them enough profit. Why? The price they would have to sell it at for those who can afford it, are smart enough not to invest into it. The ones who can are race teams who buy GT4 M3's, to drive their F10 M5 home.

How many people who have said the new M's are not true M's...actually driven them....and who has driven them how they're supposed to be driven?

For those who say its just for posers, stop being a hater. Also think of it this way, if you were to buy all the BMW performance accessories and add it on with the special paint how much will it cost? I noticed a titanium exhaust is on there...most likely its the 5k Akrapovic system on their which 90% of E9X M owners have. That system is replicated from the M3 GT4 exhaust, also made by Akra. 70k USD for the car is a good deal, if that how you would want it anyways.

The business dept. at BMW may not be as bright as those at VAG however they aren't stupid either.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction

Last edited by Jon@Bimmersport; 07-13-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #34
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I find it funny all the people telling BMW how they should run their company and what makes an M car...
Old 07-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #35
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
hes the one who wrote the article...
ahhh yes, I remember him saying Jalopnik hired him as a blogger when we had a beer down in mexico at a sideshow donkey stuffing. I guess he's getting people to talk which is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #36
defaultName
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Caswell
To fully appreciate this you need a little history in BMW M brand.* It was created to build homologation specials.* Cars built for specific racing series in minimum quantity to meet the rules.* It started with the M1 in 1978. Then came hand-build 5 series cars that at one point were the fastest sedans in the world as delivered from the factory.*

Next came the original M3, known to us car guys as the E30 M3.* Built by BMW for one purpose. To win races.* And it won so much its known as the most winning chassis in touring car history.*This was BMW's M brand.* *
Terrible article.

BMW M has been making non-homologation cars almost since it was started. This is nothing new. Saying that every M car that is not a homologation special is a poser car is ridiculous.

BMW Motorsport was started to build cars for the purposes of racing. The first being the 3.0CSL in 1972.

The next car they developed was the 2002 Turbo in 1974.

It may look like a race car but BMW never officially raced it. Really it could be considered BMW Motorsports first "poser" car. It was obviously designed to look like a race car with its front air dam, bolt on fenders, and Motorsport stripes. But I'm sure Mr. Caswell wouldn't call it one.

Now Willy could say that he's talking specifically about cars that are branded with an "M" badge, in which case the M1 would be the first.

However the E12 M535i would be the second.

It again looks like a race car but I don't believe it was officially raced. (There was a homologation version of an E12 built only for the South African market. About 200 were built in a joint venture between BMW South Africa and BMW M).

I'm sure the list goes on.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #37
Linz323
2nd Gear Member

That version is definitely one to get just to say you have it, but if you're looking for a screaming-orange-hey-is-that-an-M3-GTS-paint job then maybe a good way to go, though don't know the price premium...
Linz323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #38
5ABIVT
Cheap reliable fast.Pick2

M has always been a poser car. Its just a really performance oriented family car with 4 seats and a giant trunk. If you actually cared for performance only you're better off getting a car that was geared towards it.
5ABIVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: