Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #1
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

Newbie Help

I just bought a 2002 BMW 540i. The person I bought it from had bought it last year from a another person. The car was sitting for 5 years by the previous owner. The car has 90,000 km but the problem is the burning of the oil. I removed the plugs and found one plug that was covered in black caked on crud. I replaced the plug with a new one but the blue oil smoke continues to come out the exhaust. Please give me some advise this is my first BMW and is a joy to drive. Thank you
haliaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM   #2
mech9T8
4th Gear Member

Was there any oil in the spark plug wells?
Old 06-02-2015, 01:38 PM   #3
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

thanks for replying back. I did not notice any oil. All of the other plugs were fine but the one in #7 cylinder was black,full off crud and looked burnt. I was going to do an engine flush to see if it helps. I will also look into the oil well. I just hope its not bottom end work $$$$$$$$$
Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #4
mech9T8
4th Gear Member

Let me first say that I'm no expert.
I initially thought vavle cover gaskets but even if they were bad that should not cause oil to burn. After a quick search I found this:
http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/q...ne-to-burn-oil
Have you changed the oil?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

I changed the oil today and pulled the #7 plug. The plug was only 2 days old and was black and covered in oil. Today I put seafoam in the motor, idles and reved for 15 min. then changed oil and filter. When I started the engine it was smoking constantly then it would dissipate. Once I took it for a ride I noticed blue smoke coming out the back. After 10 minutes of hard driving I could not see any smoke. I am hoping that I have sticky rings that will unstick or dried up valve seals that will reseat. I know additives are not always the answer but at this point I will try anything to fix this problem. Any more input greatly appreciated
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I recently read some articles about the M54 6cyl with similar issues - stick rings, high oil consumption. Additives seem to help.

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

Thank you for the help. I was thinking of putting some acetone into the spark plug hole and let it sit. Do not want to hydrolock. Any methods/suggestions of additives or procedure greatly appreciated. On a side note: This is my first BMW and can actually confess as to how people get addicted to this car. Handling,power,looks best car I have ever driven.....smoking car! Pardon the pun
Old 06-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Italian tune up????

I think acetone would evaporate too quickly to be effective. Lucky for me, I haven't experienced this problem so I'd be of little help. But there are tons of other people on the web that have.... I suggest googling...

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Thanks, Today I did a compression test and got an average of 180 psi all cylinders except the one the has oil on the plug. that one read around 160 psi. I just dont know if I should get someone to do the valves and risk the rings being bad or rebuild the whole engine BIG$$$$$$$. I poured some diesel fuel in the bad spark hole and let it sit for an hour. When I stated up the car it was smoking but disappeared after a few minutes of spirited driving. I notice that the smoke is more intense when I park it for a couple of hours or overnight and then start up
Old 06-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #10
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I would think the valve seals would fail after only 90k... So how long have you had this car? If it's just a few days, I would recommend driving it some more to see what happens. After all, 5 years is a long time!

E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
Old 06-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #11
haliaman
1st Gear Newbie

I've only had the car for a couple of weeks but have put about 600 highway kilometers and a couple of hundred city. Have driven WOT. The blue smoke and the #7 spark plug saturated in oil is annoying. I love the car though. Want to get over the smoke issue so I can pass emissions. Any emission tricks?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: