Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
ClayMan
6th Gear Member

Stripped / overtorqued thread in hub... Repairable?

The moral of this story is to always use the appropriate extended bolts with spacers!!!

I was testing fitment with spacers and only got 2-3 threads of engagement. As I torqued down, I felt the bolt slipped and after that, the hole would not accept any bolt again...

Is the thread repairable, or do I need to replace the hub?
ClayMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

try rethreading the hub , but most likely, fail.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
kenmar
3rd Gear Member

In the hands of an experienced tech, you can probably salvage it. In one of my old transverse-engined fwd cars, I used the old starter-bump method to break free the main crank bolt. Unfortunately, the engine actually started by mistake and I stripped the threads . My mechanic managed to rethread it successfully.
kenmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
DIY
Permanently Dirty

if its only the first 3 then sure... if i'm not mistaken there may only be 8-10 just get the right tap and if you can start from the back you will be gaurnteed to have the threads allign properly... if you cant do it from the back you have to be extremely carefull to make sure to just chase the threads and not cut new ones...

but yah get the proper bolts ... I'm not sure if this would be any better but maybe get a stud and nut for that wheel and loctite the stud in.. maybe get a pair for each wheel then it always alligns when you swap wheels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: