Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-26-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Scion FR-S (drive & pics)

Apparently Subaru isn't getting any BRZ's in for another couple of weeks.. and those are spoken for, so test drives will be rare (according to the sales guy I spoke with on the phone @Subaru Mississauga). Not so at Scion! They received their 1st FRS yesterday for demo at the Meadowvale dealership (Argentia & Winston Churchill). I shot up there after work yesterday to give it a trashing.

To my enjoyment, the engineers really did a fantastic job of keeping this little car a purely driver-focused machine. It was a real pleasure to drive. Dynamically, the chassis is superb. It has fantastic feedback through the steering wheel and brake pedal (firm). Driver's seating position was excellent with perfect shifter & steering wheel placement (telescoping & tilt). The pedal box is not cramped (although I found placement a bit wide for heel & toe) and outward visibility is excellent. Standard entertainment unit wasn't bad and the sound was crisp with enough bass to pump tunes while ripping through the Fork of the Credit. All the current technology was there (bluetooth, USB-in, 3.5mm jack, touchscreen, folder & file display). The materials used for the interior were a welcome site from the normal Subaru quality.. seats were EXTREMELY supportive and comfortable.

Throttle response was mediocre (noticed a bit of delay & some surging when lift/full throttle at mid-rpm was induced). The NVH (noise/vibration/harshness) was pretty apparent from the engine compartment (lack of insulation to keep weight down?). Tires felt pretty greasy and broke traction easily (understeering in this case... had the A/C on with 2 passengers - not a receipe for power oversteer around Mississauga's rush hour traffic), probably because they had 183km on them, coated with tire shine and (most likely) a version of the Prius Primacy rubber. My only gripe with the car is a lack of power (admittedly, i'm a HP freak) but another 100hp would do this excellent chassis wonders. Apparently TRD will be offering a (factory warranty) turbo kit mid summer that will boost it another(conservative, but warranty-safe) 50hp for around $2500 (rumored).

If you have some spare time, head up to Meadowvale Scion/Toyota and give this thing a try. I don't have any affiliation with the dealership, but our sales-guy "Jay" was fantastic and didn't complain about my spirited driving. A bargain at $26,000 CDN!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
jay01_brown
OBSERVE

very interesting.....
jay01_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
E36is
'OldSchool..'

looks like a boxer engine in that thing?
Old 05-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
I'm trying very hard to find something i dont like about the car. Havnen't come up with anything yet.

AFAIK it is a boxer engine.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Too bad it's so ****ing ugly.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^RWD sport coupe, under 30K, MY 2010+ that looks better.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 05-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
Axxe

There are none. That's why I said its too bad that it's ugly, because otherwise it's a home run.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

Agreed. I'm not crazy about the looks, but everything in the small sport coupe segment is so ****ing ugly (sorry 1-series fans) these days, if the rest of the car is there, i think this will be a big hit for toyota

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

The world needs more rwd sports coupe. I'm all for it.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
Axxe

I hope Subaru comes out with an STi version with a turbo motor. That would be a pretty sweet combo, 300ish rwhp, 6spd, lsd, and a warranty.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

They look WAAAAY better in person. I don't know why all the pics make them look like 4x4s.

Anyway, there's already an STI in the pipeline. But there are plenty of powerful cars, including from Subaru. Big power requires a thicker driveline, bigger brakes, more chassis strength and you have another big boat. I've driven this car and it has plenty of power for what it's meant to be.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #12
Axxe

Anyone see the epa numbers for this car? 22/30 mpg.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Anyone see the epa numbers for this car? 22/30 mpg.
And requires premium.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Axxe

^ yeah, it's a bummer. About the same that my modded e36 is getting with more hp and displacement.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #15
BigD
the misanthropist

I don't care one bit, it's not an econobox. Plus I'm positive I can do way better than their numbers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: