Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #1
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

What is this knocking noise?

So I thought that it was the VANOS bolts but just got them replaced today by rocco at RMP along with valve adjustment. I also changed the Idler pulley. Defiantly runs ALOT better.

It is coming from what sounds like the whole top of the engine from the front to the back. When its warm you can hear it more then if its cold (still need to confirm) I seriously have no idea and I just want to get it fixed.

Noise - YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

Which bolts did he replace? Maybe the double vanos rattle repair kit would help?
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/index.html

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Maybe its NOT your engine...
Did you check your Front Control Arm Bushing?
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
jabela
4th Gear Member

Engine mounts are another suspect part.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

What did RPM say?

I mean you were just there, surely they took it for a test run after "fixing" the problem, no? Also you thought the bolts were the issue or they did, very confusing story imo. Sounds to me like you walked in and said to the experts this is the problem, they said ok, took your money and handed you your keys back.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 05-27-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

sorry my bad... i should have checked the video... i thought you were hearing it while the car was in motion. its the odd whistling sound correct?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Which bolts did he replace? Maybe the double vanos rattle repair kit would help?
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/index.html
He has an S54, not an M54

OP, ever changed Vanos filter ?

I cant say for sure what it is, but I'll try.

The sound isnt rpm specific so we can rule out any of the moving parts right away. It could very easily be that something is simply loose and thats what rattling. The noise is there only when you blip the throttle and goes away after. Check exhaust manifold heatshields or it maybe that one of the springs on one of the throttle bodies is loose ....

You have to diagnose the noise with the intake box removed to locate it better
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. It did make that noise before I got the bolts replaced, I thaught it was the bolts so i just asked to have them changed rather then telling him this is the sound i here because unless you put your ear close to the engine you will not here it, it sounds worse then it actually is in the video. Either way in glad I got the bolts replaced as they were not tight at all. I'm going to try and pinpoint where the noise is comming from. If I have no luck I'm going to take the valve cover off and just take a look and make sure everything is ok under there.

I still think it has something to do with the vanos unit it's self. Upon pressing the throttle doesn't the vanos advance the timing? I think the vanos filter is 60$ so I might as well get it changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Still baffles me how a trained pro just takes orders from a car owner to replace shit they don't even think needed doing nor ask WHY the hell you even want them done. If you can hear the noise a trained pro can, that is where they should step in and say listen here is what the issue could be.. instead of sure give me your money Ill swap those bolts, not sure why but who gives a shit, right.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #10
lucad2
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Still baffles me how a trained pro just takes orders from a car owner to replace shit they don't even think needed doing nor ask WHY the hell you even want them done. If you can hear the noise a trained pro can, that is where they should step in and say listen here is what the issue could be.. instead of sure give me your money Ill swap those bolts, not sure why but who gives a shit, right.
It is my fault since I overly research things to I basically "diagnose" the car myself without even holding a wrench. when I take it to the shop and basically just tell them what needs to be done. I should have taken it to RMP and said here is the noise I hear rather then just scything to change the CAM gear bolts.
It has gotten worse, but in the beginning you could not have herd the noise unless your ear was no more then 2cm from the engine. It has not gotten to the point where you can hear it with the hood open.

I am now brining in my car thursday to RMP so I will keep this thread updated and hopefully this can help someone who is having the same issue. I just want my car back to working order as now I am pretty nervous to take it out.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

Bad disa?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #12
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Since internal also look into tensioner, valves etc. Try an engine flush solution before changing oil next time. We use Wurth engine flush, small black bottle solved many mysterious sounds lol

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-06-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
Maple
1st Gear Newbie

You guys with your DIsa comments dont even realize that he has an S54 for man sake.

PLEASE dont use any flush solutions , no wurth no nothing. Use engine OIL to be specific Castrol 10w60 ONLY inside your engine.
Maple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple View Post
You guys with your DIsa comments dont even realize that he has an S54 for man sake.

PLEASE dont use any flush solutions , no wurth no nothing. Use engine OIL to be specific Castrol 10w60 ONLY inside your engine.
There is nothing wrong with using a small flush when needed. We see plenty of bmw's who's first owner believed they only needed to change the oil every 24-25000 km's because after all its what their dash is telling them. Those types of cases (there are plenty) have a fair build up of gunk, usually white/cream looking and easily recognized when simply removing the oil cap. A flush is a SAFE and easy way to TRY and remove/break down any buildup before draining the oil.

Please explain why a flush is a bad thing when used when needed.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

:p Damn we got told! :p

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: