Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Rambauca
1st Gear Newbie

Run Flat Vs conventional tires

thoughts on run flat vs conventional tires. Which do you prefer? Which wear faster?
Rambauca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Conventional - they have less road noise (in my opinion). Also I was tramlining like a BITCH when I had the runflats, changed to conventional and all gone...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Rambauca
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the response.

Doesn't tramlining have to do more with alignment and suspension. I'm surprised that was due to the runflats versus conventional tires.

What brand of tires do you have and what aspect/profile? I'm thinking of switching from my bridgestone Potenza runflats to Micheline Super Sport Pilots.
Rambauca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Totally the tires. Same car, no suspension changes, nothing. I had potenza's an went to Barum Bravius II's - lesser known brand in NA. More in Europe. Made by continental. Happy with the tires, but then I don't race around or take turns insanely hard or anything like that.

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #5
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

Deep is a wussy driver.

I haven't had issues with the RFT. Brand did matter for noise it seems. Some complain about it being too hard...etc. well that's the point of driving a top notch handling machine. to each their own.

I also run RFTs for my winter set...no issues.

I can't say if tramlining is an issue as I haven't felt it. on my previous car with slightly narrower tires i did feel it. yet now with the wider tires i didn't. i suspect it has to do with tread pattern? suspension?
Old 05-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
TorontoKhan
1st Gear Newbie

I have RFTs on my X5 and they have insanely low tread life. Fronts are gone in 13000kms and rear are at 7mm already (Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400). And I do take insanely hard turns, e.g. merging on a highway where it says 30, I do 60, where it says 40/50, I pull 80/90. I somewhat liked the grip on the tires when they were new, but when old, hmm, not so good (they slip on tight turns).

They are also bumpy, not comfortable at all and given the stiff walls on RFT, I understand the reason, besides I have a sports suspension with a 6000lb SAV so I feel every single pebble on the road.

I am currently torn between Conti DWS or same Bridgestones RFTs (getting it for $400 less than Contis). If I get the contis, I'll let you know how they are on a ride perspective, where I can tell you right now, tread life, is definitely higher on non-RFTs.
Technology Package
Winter Package
Comfort Access
TorontoKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

^ any explanation on why RFTs have lower tread life? compound to resist heat? I figured the tread wear rating varies depending on the tire and not necessarily tied to the RFT or not.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
TorontoKhan
1st Gear Newbie

Not really, not that technical in tires, just a user and an observer and by using them and observing the tread life, I believe it is to do with deficiencies in RunFlat material, that causes such a low tread life. Apparently by googling, it yielded the same complaint from several other people too, without any explanation tho.

So I guess there must be something about the material/compound, because usually the tread life is tied to tire compound for handling and aggressive driving. The higher performance tires, the lower tread life. And except a few, almost all RFTs are high performance tires on high performance vehicles.
Technology Package
Winter Package
Comfort Access
Old 05-28-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

^ i would tend to agree except toyota has them on sienna as well and these owners also complain about low tread life. maybe minivan drivers are wilder than i thought. i always wondered if there was a pole in the rear cargo area with a DJ spinning tunes while some nefarious activity was going on.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
crxgsr
BMW

Guys, tread life is based on the tire. There are different categories for tires. Some are performance tires (sticky tires, soft compound, low tread life) and there are touring tires (harder compound, longer tread life). It has nothing to do with runflat or non-runflat. The stock potenza's are summer performance tires. Ofcourse they are going to wear out fast. Put on some Yokohama Envigors (hybrid tire, good performance with long tread life) and you'll see the difference.
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Run flats are shit .. I dont care what anyone says .. they only put them on BMW's because they think the user is helpless. Run flats you have less of a chance to get a popped tire and be on the side of the road which is why BMW put these on over conventional tires. Same goes for the clutch in the manual cars with the CDV valve .. BMW thinks the user can drive stick for shit hence the valve.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #12
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Yeah, run flats are garbage. My parents have an E91 328it that came with run flats. The sidewalls on the low profile run flats that came with the car from the factory are so stiff (which they have to be to run when flat) that they made the ride of the car loud, and harsh, and on top of that they tires wear unevenly. The tires had considerably camber wear due to the sidewalls being so stiff. We switched over to conventional tires this year and the ride quality was much improved.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
crxgsr
BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
The tires had considerably camber wear due to the sidewalls being so stiff.
uhmm, can you please explain how this happens??
crxgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #14
TorontoKhan
1st Gear Newbie

^ It seems like there are no technical explanations other than how the behaviour has been observed by many users. I tend to agree that the tires wear unevenly; why, I don't know, but it's with the RFTs for some reason.
Technology Package
Winter Package
Comfort Access
Old 05-30-2012, 01:38 AM   #15
TorontoKhan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
^ i would tend to agree except toyota has them on sienna as well and these owners also complain about low tread life. maybe minivan drivers are wilder than i thought. i always wondered if there was a pole in the rear cargo area with a DJ spinning tunes while some nefarious activity was going on.
LOL, close....

Technology Package
Winter Package
Comfort Access

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: