Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

The mileage is 150,000km. No service history. So Rocco was right: the shimmy comes around 80km/hr but it becomes much more pronounced at 120km/hr and up. I am not sure what's causing this. Any ideas? Anyway, I am taking the car to RMP Motors again when I have time.

There is also shake in the steering wheel when braking at high speed. This is more than likely is caused by worn out thrust arms.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #32
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Please tell us the outcome (in case my 5 starts doing it!!!! )
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #33
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

This seems a common problem among E39s; just google it and you will see how many search results you will get. Hopefully yours won't have this problem.

Just some updates:

The shake problem is also apparent at low speeds 30km/h and below. You know those very slow rush hours times? The car is like crippled or something! It's almost like the diagonal wheels are one size and the other diagonal wheels are another size! Very strange characteristic!

I still haven't taken the car to RMP Motors. Planning to do as soon as possible.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Low speed wobbles are usually a sign of a bad tire, or something bent. If you can, jack up one wheel at a time and give it a spin. If you're unsure, get something to use as a reference like a 2x4. Place it close to the section of tire you're inspecting and watch the distance from the rubber to the edge of the 2x4. Obviously, the distance should be constant. Even a few mm could cause a problem. Look for bumps on one spot of the tire. Feathering or cupping - many times around the tire - are other problems, but won't cause this low speed wobbling.

If you do find something, this can cause high speed vibration too.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #35
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I really hope it's just a tire/wheel problem but I really doubt it, because I took the car to Alphawerx and RMP Motors and they both turned my wheels and balanced the tires but there isn't any problem with them--no bent wheels or anything like that.

My next step is to do the thrust arms, if that doesn't solve the problem then I will go from there. But I have a feeling it is something to do with the main drive shaft.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #36
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Seriously, I'd inspect it yourself. Esp since you didn't mention a low speed wobble, the techs prolly weren't looking that closely. It doesn't take much on these cars, esp if you have low profile tires.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #37
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Hold up, is this yet another case within a week that it was taken to said garage and still the problem was not found nor fixed or no one cared what actually the person was there for? Since when is it up to customers to solve their own issues...common theme here. Who told you thrust arms, why didn't they look at your DS, I mean come on wtf. This I am taking my car to a known bimmer shop yet can you guys on the forum tell me what the problem is even after being there has become a joke.

Did they not test drive it, hoist it and look for any issues? Hey maybe this isn't the full story maybe you just walked in looking for a tire balance and never mentioned why you were there and they didn't care to ask. Or maybe you did and they can't find the issue themself.

It just erks me to hear someone has an issue, visits a garage of bimmer pro's yet returns with no answers, something is not right there, very strange imo. If you returned to say they didn't find an issue but I am going back etc, fine but sounds like youre just swapping parts out till you hit it and the garage is happy to take your money while you try to find an answer yourself, not how it should work.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...06#post1568106

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-05-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #38
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Here is a semi complete story:

Took it to Alphawerx for over 3 weeks and Alphawerx inspected it thoroughly plus test drove it at least 3 times. Changed rotors, sanded brake pads, new tires, and balanced and aligned wheels but did not solve the problem. Actually, Darren balanced the wheels at least 3 times. He even run it at many speeds so many different times while hoisted it up to see if it's the main drive shaft. But no problem was found until then. Finally, I was told it is the driver side drive shaft so I had it repaired but the car still shakes.

Took it to RMP Motors and they test drove the car and inspected the wheels and balanced the tires (4th times in 2 months!) but the shake is still there. I was advised to change the thrust arms because the steering trembles when braking and hitting a pothole. Rocco did not say the thrust arms are the cause of the shake, but since I have to change them anyway then I will wait to see if the shake goes away after changing the thrust arms.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #39
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
Here is a semi complete story:

Took it to Alphawerx for over 3 weeks and Alphawerx inspected it thoroughly plus test drove it at least 3 times. Changed rotors, sanded brake pads, new tires, and balanced and aligned wheels but did not solve the problem. Actually, Darren balanced the wheels at least 3 times. He even run it at many speeds so many different times while hoisted it up to see if it's the main drive shaft. But no problem was found until then. Finally, I was told it is the driver side drive shaft so I had it repaired but the car still shakes.

Took it to RMP Motors and they test drove the car and inspected the wheels and balanced the tires (4th times in 2 months!) but the shake is still there. I was advised to change the thrust arms because the steering trembles when braking and hitting a pothole. Rocco did not say the thrust arms are the cause of the shake, but since I have to change them anyway then I will wait to see if the shake goes away after changing the thrust arms.
Sorry to hear you have to go through all this to sove a shake, I am hoping for you this works out. You may get lucky but I would rather hear that the reason for the shake was found. Your rotors have been inspected again, correct? It is not uncommon to get a warp straight away, just sayin, cover your bases.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-05-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #40
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Did anybody put the car on a hoist and run it? All suspension parts (such as thrust arms) can be ruled out (same with rims/tires), after that you can pull off rotors, CV's, even driveshaft untill vibration goes away...this way you dont spend $$$ at buying and replacing parts.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #41
RMPMOTORS
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Sorry to hear you have to go through all this to sove a shake, I am hoping for you this works out. You may get lucky but I would rather hear that the reason for the shake was found. Your rotors have been inspected again, correct? It is not uncommon to get a warp straight away, just sayin, cover your bases.

I would get your stories straight before typing, the thrust arms on this car are worn and need replacing, they ARE causing a vibration. We did not replace ANY parts. You are getting confused with another shop the customer went to that changed 1/2 the car with no results.

Also the other thread you posted has nothing to do with diagnosis. That customer just called made an appointment for valve adjustment and vanos bolt replacement.

Please get full stories or ask questions before coming up with your own conclusions..

No need to stir the pot.

Eibach-Koni-Bilstein-H&R-Powerflex-KW Suspension-OEM Parts+ MORE
EUROPEAN AUTO SERVICE & PERFORMANCE

www.RMPMOTORS.com

www.Facebook.com/RMPMotors
RMPMOTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post

Thanks for the good wishes, but I think you missread my post. Both shops did good jobs.

At Alphawerx I changed my rotors because they had a lip on them, changed my tires because they were worn out winter tires, did an alignment because the car pulled to the right, and of course with changed tires I had to get them balanced too. I was hoping (the keyword is 'hoping') these changes would fix the low speed (below 30km/h) and high speed (above 80km/h) shake, but they did not. I did not do these changes thinking, "Oh, the tires/wheels/rotors must be the cause of the shake." These changes were just something I had to do anyway.

I am probably going to change the thrust arms at RMP Motors because the steering wheel trembles when braking at high speed, and also the front end shakes when hitting a pothole. I am hoping that changing the thrust arms would take care of the low/high speed shake, but I was not told, "Yes, this is the cause of the shake." Changing the thrust arms is just something I have to do anyway. Would changing the thrust arms solve the shaking problem? I don't know. May be, may be not.

To be honest, I did not even spend enough time at RMP Motors so they did not have the chance to inspect the car more thoroughly, because the car had an engine shut down problem which was my priority at the time. (Rocco did an amazing job at fixing the engine shut down problem, and I am positive if anyone can figure out the shake problem it would be him.)

As soon as I get a chance I will get the thrust arms changed, then go from there about the shake problem.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #43
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

So here are the symptoms again hoping someone who had a similar problem can help me out. (This is not an alternative to taking it to the mechanic, but since I don't have time to go to the mechanic now then why not ask online?)

No shake when idling. And no shake between say 30km/h and 80km/h. (These numbers are not set in stone--they are just approximations.)

There is a shake at low speeds; 30km/h and below. It's almost like the car wobbles, as if one tire is bigger than the other tires or something! But for some reason I can't help but think it is coming from the centre of the car!

There is a slight (negligible) shake at 80km/h and above, but it becomes notable at 120km/h and above. I feel the shake mostly in the floor of the car especially in the gas pedal. But it's also felt slightly in the steering wheel; the steering wheel shake could very much be due to the worn out thrust arms.

I've almost ruled out tires, wheels, rotors, and brakes as the cause because each have been inspected many times. I am hoping for a solution within 2 weeks because I am planning a 4hrs long trip and I don't want a shaking car at highway speed! Please!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

As long as youre happy I guess.

btw simply having a lip on a rotor does not mean they need replacing Don;t be affraid to ask questions, like was the diameter in spec or not etc.

I hear and see a lot of work done that wasn;t needed per say, not that this happened to you, just sayin.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #45
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

My rotors had a lip and were too thin to grind, but my brake pads were in a pretty good shape. If I had kept my rotors then my brake pads would've gone bad. So I changed the rotors and sanded the pads.

I agree with you. Recently, one mechanic said something needed replacing to fix the shake problem. The whole thing cost me $500 and did absolutely nothing to fix the shake problem. I was upset and felt cheated. But I won't mention which mechanic it is because I want to give him the benefit of the doubt as there are two parts of that thing in the car, so it could be the other side part that's is causing the shake problem also. But I won't decide on changing that until I go see Rocco to see what he says first.

I am not a big fan of giving mechanics bad reviews until I know for sure that is what happened, because their business is their way of making a living and supporting their families, you know. If I write a bad review today then it will stay online for years to come affecting their income, and it could be an honest mistake. I know, honest mistakes are costly ($500 is a lot of money!) but we all make mistakes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: