Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
E30S54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post

PS: Please don't bash the mechanic. He is a very nice guy and he does all inspection in front of me. He is also very knowledgeable and experienced. But this seems to be a problem we haven't figured out yet, and he is trying his best.
I don't understand you, you complain about prices but then are fine paying 400 for a wrong diagnosis and part install? Sometimes you may have to pay a bit more for diagnosis but you should get a right diagnosis. I would not care how nice a guy is when u just wasted $400 of my $ on a wrong part. He can't be that experienced or knowledgeable if he just throws parts at your car.
E30S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540guy View Post
For my specific situation, the shakes would come during some drives, and would be non existent during others.

When they did happen, it was at 120 kmh and above. The higher I went, the worse it got.

Replaced the thrust arms, it lessened but was still there. Then one seized caliper was found and replaced, and the shakes went away.
Thank you for your reply. Which calibre was seized?
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #18
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I was wrong in the initial description of the problem. I test drove the car today at high speed and here is what I observed:

1) The shake would come around 120km/h and above (not only at 120km/h as I thought before), and got worse the faster I went. I test drove the car up to 140km/h.

2) The shake was more notable when I took my foot off of the gas. In other words the car shock less when I maintained the speed, and shock more when I let it cruise.

I hope this helps in identifying the problem better. Please help! I know there are many old similar threads but I don't want to resurrect old threads!
Old 05-22-2012, 12:10 AM   #19
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30S54 View Post
I don't understand you, you complain about prices but then are fine paying 400 for a wrong diagnosis and part install? Sometimes you may have to pay a bit more for diagnosis but you should get a right diagnosis. I would not care how nice a guy is when u just wasted $400 of my $ on a wrong part. He can't be that experienced or knowledgeable if he just throws parts at your car.
I agree with you. I was very upset when I found out the shake was still there after spending over $400. The right thing for him to do is to wave his labour cost--that's what I would've done. Anyway, we test drove it again for about an hour and he says he really doesn't know what is causing the problem and advised me to seek a second opinion. I am hoping drivers who had similar problem can help me identify the problem.

I don't mind paying for diagnostic if the shop agrees to take the car for a test drive. But I don't want a shop to test the car only in the shop and then tell me, "Sorry, I don't know what's going on. Can I have my inspection fee now?"
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I think I know what the problem is. When my tires were changed, one of the old tires broke at the wall edge as they took it off of the wheel. Darren suspected that the previous owner had drove on a flat tire and that's why it broke. If that's the case then I could have a bent rim too.

I just called Don at Autotrend and he right away told me that I have a bent wheel when I told him that I experience the shake at 120 and above! And he was very confident about it! And he didn't charge me anything for identifying the problem like other shops!
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so it is not a bent wheel or unbalanced wheels or tires problem. Just did balancing for the third time in 2 months and all the results indicate that there is not problem with the tires or wheels.

Nobody seems to know what the issue is as it could be anything from wheels, tires, bushings, drive shaft, drive axils, engine mounts, transmission mounts, you name it! My mechanic says it is the passenger side drive axil, but he recommended I seek a second opinion before deciding to go ahead with the repairs. So today I am going to see RMP Motors and see what they think.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
540guy
2nd Gear Member

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1422270

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=442277

Either calipers or bushings is still my guess.
540guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
windwagen
6th Gear Member

When you ran it on the hoist, did it vibrate then?
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Rocco recommended I change the thrust arms. He did not say they are the cause for sure, but they do need changing anyway. So I am going that route for now and if that fixes the shake problem then that is good. If not then I will go from there to see what else could be causing the problem.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Ok - Can I ask youi some questions that take it back to basics.... The vibration is very slight you say - passengers don't feel it. And - right now, you really feel it through your foot through the gas pedal? Do you feel any vibration through the steering wheel/bum?

You later mentioned it's 120 kph +... Does it change frequency, intensity with speed?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much for keeping this thread alive! I really need as much help as I can get to solve this problem.

The passengers in the back don't usually feel it unless I ask them to pay close attention if they feel shake. Me and the passenger in the front do feel it mainly in the floor and gas pedal. I do feel a bit of shake in the steering wheel but not as pronounced as in the gas pedal/floor of the car. Actually, yesterday I was sitting in the front passenger seat while the car was being test driven and I could feel it in the door a bit! This shake comes at 120km/hr and stays on up to 140km/hr (that's the fastest I've gone).

There is a bit of shake in the steering wheel when hitting a pothole. Actually, when hitting a pothole the whole front of the car kind of trembles a bit. I think this is due to the thrust arms. But I am not sure what is causing the 120km/hr shimmy.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #27
windwagen
6th Gear Member

If the thrust arms are toast, you need to take care of that regardless. However, since you feel the vibration through the car body rather than steering wheel, I'd say it's nothing to do with the front suspension.

My guess is the main driveshaft. I vaguely remember reading somethign about this being a fairly common E39 issue.

I can reccommend a solid shop in the Markham area - Sam's Garage. These guys are excellent. But they are also very busy....
Old 06-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc123wc View Post
. Actually, when hitting a pothole the whole front of the car kind of trembles a bit. .
This might suggest shocks.....

So is it a constant vibration? Or is it more random?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #29
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

I would check shocks as well. I had a similar problem, shaking at highway speeds which was very noticeable the faster I went. Front shocks were toast.

Changed shocks to Bilstein sports - solid as a rock at any speed....

Worn suspension components are pretty easy to see when the car is hoisted. Tire balance, air pressure, wheel bends - are also easy to spot.
Dinanstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #30
windwagen
6th Gear Member

What's the mileage? Any service history provided?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: