Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

E39, 525i: thrust arms and shimmy!

Hello,

I have a 2002 525i that shimmies after 90km/h (55mph) and so I think it is time to replace the thrust arms. The car has 205k on it and ever since I bought it a year and a half ago I haven't changed the thrust arms. So I am planning to make a trip to my mechanic, but I have few question to educate myself:

1) Some E39 owners have installed the X5 thrust arms on their E39s stating they are better. But would the X5 thrust arms fit on the 525i or just the M5/540i?

2) Are there any third party thrust arms, such as ones with HD bushings and so on, that work on the 525i? So far it looks like all third party thrust arms were made for the M5/540i.

3) On RealOEM for the 525i there is something called "Set rubber mounting f pull rod" part#31120006482. Is this something that comes with the thrust arms (like pressed into it)? Or is this something purchased separately?

Here is how it looks like: http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...m_bushings.jpg

On the RealOEM for the 525i chart, it looks like the thrust arm has an empty ring in it and that the bushing has to go into it. But on the 540i chart, it looks like the thrust arm has a rubber in it (not empty) and the bushing gets screw to the thrust arm (doesn't go into it). What's going on here? I just need to know if the bushing comes with the thrust arms for the 525i or not.

525i: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...17&hg=31&fg=05
540i: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...64&hg=31&fg=05

4) Finally, is there a good place in the GTA to get a good deal for a set of thrust arms for the 525i? Of course, I am looking for the original brand or another good brand.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

I was just looking into this recently.
Here are some answers to your questions.
1. I believe the x5 bushings only work on 540 and m5. I have read that Meyle bushings are better than OEM because they are not oil filled.
2. Meyle makes thrust arms for 525 528 and 530. Some companies sell OEM arms with Meyle bushings. Turner does this.
3. If you go to the dealer I believe thrust arms do not include bushings. Other vendors may sell them with bushings. It's best to clarify with them.
4. Autopartsway.ca sells TRW thrust arms with bushings for just under $200 a piece. This is cheaper than the dealer but they have the oil filled bushings. I don't know of any other sources in the GTA. If you find out about any other places please let me know.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Thank you very much for the helpful response!

$200 a piece??? That's too much for the fluid filled TRW thrust arms! My mechanic's prices are more reasonable, but I want something better than the fluid filled thrust arms by TRW and Lemfoerder. I guess I will call my mechanic to see if his supplier(s) can provide the Meyle bushings thrust arms.

Do you know of any side effects to using the Meyle bushings thrust arms?

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

This site has the Meyle controls arms (a kit of 4 pieces) for a decent price. I e-mailed them to see if I can buy only the thrust arms (2 pieces). I will keep you updated.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-...254piecekit-my
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Be careful with which brand you buy. Many people have said lemforder and trw are best. Meyle is good as well. Then there are some cheap aftermarket ones which are crap.
I read that using Meyle bushings will feel slightly firmer but improve responsiveness.
I'm bringing my car in this Friday so I'll see what they suggest.

The price of that kit is pretty good. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #6
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Yea, I am staying with the Meyle brand or the Lemforder/TRW. I just read about the Meyle brand and it seems like a very respectful brand that makes well engineered products.

I got an answer from http://www.fcpeuro.com and they have a single thrust arm for $104.95 which is not bad since I really want to try the Meyle thrust arms...I heard some good reviews about them.

They even have the Lemforder thrust arm for $112.95 which is a decent price too if you want to go this route.

I still haven't decided which one to go with! :s
Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I bought and installed the Meyle HD (made in Germany) thrust arms and they are excellent. The shimmy between 90-100km is gone now.

I was worried that the Meyle HD thrust arms will be too hard because they don't have the fluid in the bushing like the OEM thrust arms. But they are fine--not hard at all. Even rattling when hitting potholes is gone now.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Mover
2nd Gear Member

post removed by Mover

Last edited by Mover; 01-31-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
mech9T8
3rd Gear Member

Good to hear. Took my car to the meachanic before Christmas and my thrust arms were ok. One of the control arms was bad though. I'll keep Meyle in mind if I need to replace in the future.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Gotta replace my bushings (540i w/Msport), ordered a pair of Lemfoerder ones. I'll see shortly whether replacing just the bushing works.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Gotta replace my bushings (540i w/Msport), ordered a pair of Lemfoerder ones. I'll see shortly whether replacing just the bushing works.
From what I heard, replacing the bushing only rarely works (it has a high failure rate after installation). It looks like that the bushings are not merely pressed into the arms--the arm is heated so it expands and then the bushing is pressed in. Once the arm is cooled then it shrinks and the bushing never comes out. But I could be wrong. Like I said, that's what I heard--not personal experience!

Since you have the 540i you have more options than I had with the 525i. The 540i can also use the X5 bushing which is supposed to be better (last longer).
Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

UPDATE:

1) Low speed wobble (below 40km/h; rush-hour speed) and high speed steering wheel shimmy (between 110 and 120 km/h; highway speed) are gone with the new Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires (balanced). I just got the Michelin tires today and I LOVE them! Smooth, comfortable, and extremely quiet!

2) Mid speed steering wheel shimmy (between 80 and 90 km/h) is gone by replacing the thrust arms.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #13
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

*Correction: Michelin Pilot HX MXV4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: