Although I'm sure there has been many of these, I thought I would share what I started over the weekend. I picked up 4 very sad looking BBS Style 5's last season in need of some love, and finally got around to starting this weekend.
They were pretty dirty, and the clear coat was peeling badly so first thing I did was separate them and strip them down. There are many tutorials on how to do this with many different methods.
The centers were still in pretty good shape.
The bolts had a combination of oxidization, loctite, brake dust, and dirt on them. I used CLR and an old tooth brush to clean them up and ended up making a high school science project style volcano...
After a lot of scrubbing they came out pretty clean. But they will also get stripped down and polished a little later.
I started work on the barrels over saturday. I focused on the two with the most issues as I quickly realized just how time consuming this process can be. I spent a solid 5 hours on the first two. But then again I can be kind of a perfectionist. I was lucky there was very little in the way of curb rash, but there was some minor pitting and slight oxidization in some areas. The camera didn’t really pick up the oxidization, but it was easier to see before I stripped the clear coat off of them.
Here they are ready to start the prepping process.
I took pictures of some of the problems areas to compare before and after.