Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
2012 Formula 1 Discussion.

I know there are a lot of F1 fans on this board. The last F1 thread i saw on this board was years ago. It's about that time someone started a thread here for us fanatics.

If anyone come across any news for upcoming season please post it in here.

I'll start with official rule changes for 2012? I just hope there is close fight at the front this time rather than bulls running away with the title.

Quote:
FIA's 2012 F1 rule changes
Following Wednesday’s meeting of its World Motor Sport Council in New Delhi, India, the FIA has confirmed a number of Formula One rule changes for the 2012 season, most of which were already public knowledge.

The FIA is clamping down on engine mapping and exhaust positioning to effectively outlaw blown diffusers. There will be tougher side impact testing and new cars must now pass all crash tests prior to on-track testing.

During races, lapped drivers will be allowed to unlap themselves during a safety-car period, meaning no backmarkers will hinder the leaders at the restart. If in defending his position a driver leaves the racing line, he will not be allowed to retake it, and drivers will not be able to leave the track without good reason, thus banning such strategic moves as cutting chicanes during in-laps to save time and/or fuel.

In a change to the tyre rules, drivers will now be able to use all tyres allocated to them for the Grand Prix weekend on the Friday. They were previously limited to just three sets on the opening day. And on the testing front, there will now be one three-day in-season test in addition to the usual pre-season tests.

The full FIA statement:

FIA FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Changes to the 2012 Technical Regulations

- All engine standard ECU set up and control parameters, which were formerly contained only within a Technical Directive, are now contained within the relevant parts of the Technical Regulations.
- The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum.
- Better marking of in-car emergency switches operated by marshals are now stipulated.
- The side impact structures will now have to be subjected to a further (upward) push-off test.

Changes to the 2012 Sporting Regulations

- Cars may no longer take part in pre-season testing without having passed all crash tests.
- There will now be a maximum race time of four hours to ensure that a lengthy suspension of a race does not result in a race that could run up to eight hours if left unregulated.
- Before the safety car returns to the pits all lapped cars will be allowed to unlap themselves and then join the back of the pack, ensuring a clean re-start without slower cars impeding those racing for the leading positions.
- Cars which were in the pit lane when a race is suspended will now be allowed to re-join the cars on the grid in the position they were in when the race was suspended.
- Drivers may no longer leave the track without a justifiable reason, i.e. cutting a chicane on reconnaissance laps or ‘in’ laps to save time and fuel.
- Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.
- One three-day test will be carried out during the season, formerly there were none.
- All stewards’ decisions which are not subject to appeal are now in one place instead of being in various places within the regulations.
- All tyres allocated to a driver may now be used on the first day of practice; formerly only three sets were permitted.
Discuss
Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
sirex
King Sirex

Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position.

The exhaust tailpipes are now strictly regulated in order to ensure that the aerodynamic effect exhaust gases have on the car is kept to an absolute minimum.

Thought those two were interesting.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

Good thread!

Latest news i heard was that Kubica now broke his leg by slipping on some ice
Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
doogee
Stance is Gay.

Send a message via MSN to doogee
"One three-day test will be carried out during the season, formerly there were none."

Now Ferrari can actually test their stolen front wing design halfway through the season. Haha. Rather than throwing it on at a race and having it vibrate the shit out of the car!

Dakar M3 Track Build Thread
doogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
its ok, ferrari's biggest problem was, is and will be massa, not the front wing.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
E36is
'OldSchool..'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
Good thread!

Latest news i heard was that Kubica now broke his leg by slipping on some ice
^^ haha i thought this was a joke until i googled it. anyways.. iceman cometh.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
its ok, ferrari's biggest problem was, is and will be massa, not the front wing.
I feel really bad for this guy. If he doesn't perform this year I'm sure they'll axe him.

here is an interesting interview from RB team principal.

Old 01-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

They renewed his contract to 2014. WHY! How many times did he out qualify alonso this year? Zero? He's better at picking fights with lewis than racing. We know the pace of the ferrari car last year, massa was never close to it. I'm disappointed he's around for 2012, let alone TWO MORE YEARS!

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Bliss
Administrator

Ya, i honestly don't understand why they're keeping Massa on. I was sure they're gonna bag the guy this year. If ferrari invested in a stronger driver than Massa, they would have a killer team. From what i read back in December, there were talks of Kubica getting in there, but i doubt Renault would let that happen, and quite possibly they didn't.

Anyone know the date of 2012 car unveiling?

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

Rumors are first week of feb. Mclaren said 1st, ferarri (supposedly) the 7th.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
DIY
Permanently Dirty

"Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position."

So when can they get back on the line? I can just picture all the problems thiis will cause.
I understand there's a limit to blocking and that should be inforced but if your getting passed and manage to be 2 wide in the corner, but you made it on the line what then... And if its a shicane? Wtf? Some things their taking too far..

And no blown diffuser?! Seriously?! The diffuser is "lower speed" grip why take that away? If you have a problem with downforce just take the wings away! Jebus! If they make development of these cars any harder formula 1 will be the first place you see time travel
DIY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:45 AM   #12
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY View Post
"Drivers may no longer move back onto the racing line having moved off it to defend a position."

So when can they get back on the line? I can just picture all the problems thiis will cause.
I understand there's a limit to blocking and that should be inforced but if your getting passed and manage to be 2 wide in the corner, but you made it on the line what then... And if its a shicane? Wtf? Some things their taking too far..

And no blown diffuser?! Seriously?! The diffuser is "lower speed" grip why take that away? If you have a problem with downforce just take the wings away! Jebus! If they make development of these cars any harder formula 1 will be the first place you see time travel
This rule has been in place for a long time its just that some drivers that bring more views or has been in the sport for a very long time seems to ignore and get away with it. we'll have to rely on stewards to enforce these rule and punish all accordingly..

as for the blown diffusers, well wait and see what they come up with there is a grey line within all these rules that everyone work with in. *cough* Mr. Newey.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #13
Bliss
Administrator

Well, looks like the 2012 CT01 Caterham unveiled a bit early.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caterham-F1.jpg (16.0 KB, 127 views)

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

any shots of the front wing?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Make sure to go see the grand prix in MTL this year and next year because after that, the sweet sound of an n/a V8 is going to be replaced by the buzz of a turbo powered weed whacker motor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: