Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

proposal to raise ontario speed limit to 130pkh quashed by government

-

Quote:
A concerted effort to raise Ontario's highway speed limits by 20 or 30 km/h has been straight out turned down by the provincial government.

The group stop100.ca has drawn a flurry of media attention and netted thousands of votes via its informal polls over the past few days.

Those polls and others show overwhelming support for a new, higher Ontario highway speed limit of 120 or 130 km/h.

The province's 400-series highways' 100 km/h limit is one of the slowest in the world, the group argues; it was lowered from about 112 km/h (70 mph) in the 1970s because of the energy crisis, they note.

But the government refuses to budge, citing safety concerns, reports the Canadian Press. Ontario Transportation Minister Bob Chiarelli says "speed is a factor in 20 percent of fatal car accidents" in the province.

Ontario has some of the safest roads in North America, he adds, and maintaining the current speed limit will help keep it that way.

Chiarelli waved off suggestions that most drivers already do 120 km/h on highways. Police regularly issue tickets to drivers going that fast, he says.

Stop100.ca launched their Facebook page mid-February; it has over 700 likes.

(Canadian Press via Wheels)

http://autos.sympatico.ca/auto-news/...ways-less-safe

Would raising the speed limit make highways less safe?

http://autos.sympatico.ca/auto-news/...limit-proposal
guess gouging people into poverty with their $2000 to $10,000 dollar speeding fines is more important to them than what their citizens want
Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #2
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

^^ of course.
has zero to do with safety and everything to do with cash grabbing bs.

there is no logical argument against it. period. its all about the $$$
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
AMG_POWER
500HP Member

Strike day and night and maybe t will happen, noone is interested in those petition, you have to raise your opinion by boicotng blocking highways ETC. I think that Might work. Imaine 300 cars blocking 2-3 major highways. Now that would get you noticed.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
sirex
King Sirex

there is a drug called fukitol. I started taking it and I feel alot better now about everything.

You can't use logic against these people. It's about feelings and the more fukitol you take, the more you see it their way.

Last edited by sirex; 04-19-2012 at 07:37 PM.
sirex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I read something the other month that statistics show the unregulated (so no speed limit) section of the autobahn in germany has the exact same death toll percentage as regulated highways in other developped contries...the speed kills argument is simply BS, but the cash cow for the gvt argument seems to hold up lol
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I Support it 100%.

The issue is all of the "nascar drivers" in POS rust buckets that are going to kill them selves going 130km/h.

In other words, before this can successfully be implemented, we need to go back to the basics: training and RE-Training current drivers.

I am sure that if, currently, they raise the speed limits, they will infact be able to go back and say "look, we did it and all you tool bags got into XX amount of accidents as a result, thus it was a bad idea so now, lets lower it to 90km/h)!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual-Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;Spacers;Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

I'm all for raising the speed limit.
BUT they should start by teaching lane disipline 1st !!!
We got some idiots driving on our roads.
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #8
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

How about fixing the roads up? The 400 series highways are a fuvking joke.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
King Luis
The King.

Send a message via MSN to King Luis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
^^ of course.
has zero to do with safety and everything to do with cash grabbing bs.

there is no logical argument against it. period. its all about the $$$
exactly this. raising speeds means less tickets and lower income for the government. speeding is one of the easiest ways for the province to make money. hence why they target it all the time and don't care for any other traffic laws like impeding traffic or no signaling.

(for the record, i almost got t-boned by a cop saturday night as he was going to run a red light with no lights. we both hit the brakes in time. he reversed back to the line as i continued then hit his lights 20sec later and drove off).

Sold:2004 Silver Gray M3
Mods: Dice Unit, EAS Angel Eyes, Painted Reflectors, CSL Diffuser, Smoked Corners, PSS10s, 15mm Front and 10mm Rear Spacers.

Gone:1990 Brilliantrot 325is
Mods: Alpine speakers and HU, Euro Projectors, Magnaflow Muffler, Euro Smoked Tails and GC Coilovers.
King Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
pawcio
6th Gear Member

I think there are too many bad drivers and too much traffic for having hwy speed limits raised here. People don't move out of your way, they pass on the right...it would a mess. Plus a lot of the hwy are in bad condition. Most ppl drive 120 anyway, and I don't see it being helpful when ppl who are scared shitless even now try to merge onto the hwy going 50km/h. If it happened I would foresee chaos.

pawcio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:37 PM   #11
1bmw1
4th Gear Member

120km/h should be the MINIMUM. If they don't want to do that, the least the can do is to change law to have the left lane as "passing only"! It would make the roads run a lot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
How about fixing the roads up? The 400 series highways are a fuvking joke.
You mean you haven't noticed them "fixing" our 400 series highways for the past 25+ years? lol
Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmw1 View Post
120km/h should be the MINIMUM. If they don't want to do that, the least the can do is to change law to have the left lane as "passing only"! It would make the roads run a lot smoother.

You mean you haven't noticed them "fixing" our 400 series highways for the past 25+ years? lol
imagine how the lanes are on the 401. all of them packed! and squeeze all that out of the left lane into the proper driving lane.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

people in shit boxes already go 130.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #14
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADBMR View Post
I'm all for raising the speed limit.
BUT they should start by teaching lane disipline 1st !!!
We got some idiots driving on our roads.
This is the truth. You get to anywhere south of New York and its a dream to drive on those highways. Even in the Boston area its great. People yield to faster traffic, like everyone should...
Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Seriosuly? You feel comfortable on the highway with a 130 speed limit?? People in GTA already go that which means they will be going 140-150 because they could get away with it. This would be a major safety concern and no doubt cause a ton of accidents. Not to mention truck are goverened at about 105kph, how would that be worked around?
I have a 90' ford ranger as a winter beater, I don't think it can even go 130kph.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: