Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
Levi80
The Iceman Cometh

Regular Springs?

Hi all!

Need to change my shocks on my e46 sedan and was thinking of bilstein or koni depending on which ones are the best bang for the buck.

Also need to change my springs as my mechanic told me one of the rear springs is broken so might as well change all 4.

I dont wanna lower the car so anyone know which springs I can get (non lowering springs) that will go well with the koni or bilstein struts.

And roughly how much they cost and stuff...can order them and pick them up anywhere in gta
Levi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Jay22
Shadows.

Any reason you dont want to lower? I think you can get OEM springs from the dealer which will be the same ride height but if you're spending money on new springs, might as well go for a proper kit.
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

You might as well get the H&R Touring Cup Suspension Kit.

If you already have the sport suspension, the drop is negligible. Here is what it looks like installed:

Old 04-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Levi80
The Iceman Cometh

Isent there a kit that would not lower the car but give me good cornering grip and a smoother ride?

^
Btw, the car looks nice ! If the car is lowered and I put my 18s - does that call for rolling fenders etc? My car is not sport suspension.
Levi80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

The cup kit I mentioned is a very smooth ride from the reviews I've read. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I want a more aggressive drop, and found an excellent deal on coilovers. I honestly wouldn't replace your suspension with another non-sport OEM from BMW, there is just too much body roll and understeer in turns. I should know, I have the same suspension (at least for a few more weeks)

You could buy Bilstein HD struts/shocks, and pair them with a good set of used OEM sport springs. They hardly go bad before a certain mileage, and I'm willing to bet your mechanic is also looking to make a bit of money with you. The Bilstein touring class struts/shocks offer the same daily driven solution as the HD's for a much lower cost.

If you do decide on the H&R touring cup kit, for your OEM non-sport suspension the approximate drop is 1.4" front, and 0.75" rear. (I bet you're sitting lower right now because of your aged suspension anyways, so the difference would be less). For reference, here is a picture of the same car above BEFORE the H&R kit install:

Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
dcramer
5th Gear Member

yes you can get aftermarket OEM height springs. They are suplex springs, if you can't find them PM me.
dcramer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: