Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #16
voluted
2nd Gear Member

Glad to see you're replacing that lump! These cars are too much fun to get rid of.
voluted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I'm sure your old man appreciated you washing off all of the oil you leaked onto the driveway with engine coolant lol.

You live just down the road from the powerade centre... you're missing out on autoslalom...get this thing put together!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #18
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Glad to see you're replacing that lump! These cars are too much fun to get rid of.
im glad too!!!! i couldn't agree more, they're worse than drugs i swear.

Quote:
I'm sure your old man appreciated you washing off all of the oil you leaked onto the driveway with engine coolant lol.

You live just down the road from the powerade centre... you're missing out on autoslalom...get this thing put together!
you have no idea...my dad wants to murder me because of the driveway lol.......once im done i am going to at least paint it all until it gets repaved. ya you're right. i will be at the next for sure. progress is amazing right now. everything is in, just waiting on some knock sensors and coolant temp sensor then its alllllll done. !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

right now. everythings done. engine bolted up, tranny bolted up, and exhaust bolted up. know its just a sensor waiting game!!! im pretty sure bad sensors caused my m50 to blow the **** up. so these sensors going in are going to be brand spanking newwwwwwwwwww

- got the clutch on. clutch alignment tool? f that, just used my perfect eye and bam lined up right off the first attempt. i also put a brand new throw out baring in, hopefully that will stop the dirty annoying rattle when the clutch is engaged in neutral.

- the coolant hose fitting that the m52 lacks, i just literally put a hammer to it on the m50, busted that shit out, epoxied that shit in, and bam. solid as a rock...no need to buy that turner motorsports fitting.

- engine lifted up and in! problem, fan clutch hitting rad support cross member and wont let the engine in. saved by e30_kid with his fanclutch tool, bitch came right off, and engine dropped in.

- i think im getting good with engine swap. it was probably the fasted i've dropped and bolted everything up!!!

- and last but not least, the sexxxy tan i got from working on this thing in the scortching heat. no sunburn AT all. just corona and sun
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (68.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (30.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 21.jpg (75.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (79.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (81.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (73.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (67.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 06-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #20
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

update: 99.9% complete. pics to follow

just re-threading the m20 coolant temp sender to the cluster, to fit the obd2 head!

and thats a wrap all thats left is having a tune by Mark d for the obd 1 jazz. i'm skipping out the m3 cams. I am no longer spending a coin for mods or power upgrades.

i've learned a lot about cars because of this e30 alone. what an experience...it was hard putting money into it being a full time student. put up with a lot of shit breaking, fixing/replacing. but i did it...lol. thank goodness!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
BimmerBoys
3rd Gear Member

Congrats brother! Now beat the shit out of it!!!
BimmerBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #22
North
2nd Gear Member

Good Job! I'd bitch and moan about the OBD1 conversion, but it makes sense to keep the setup from the m50.

If shit works, don't fix it.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #23
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

thanks pete, north.

and just 5 minutes ago, she finally started up! oh my gosh, she purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrss
Old 06-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #24
cormier
6th Gear Member

Congrats dude! Well deserved!

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #25
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Awesome. Did the throw out bearing solve that neutral/clutch pedal out rattle? I have the same noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #26
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

thx cormier !!!

maxbell, unfortunately the throwout bearing didnt solve the rattle....it sucks so hard as it ruins the beautiful sound of the m52

i have a feeling its the pressure plate thats causing the problem...but i dont know. still a mystery.

and my update: everythings in order. just need a powersteering pump. been driving this thing around town and my goodness....that 0.3L difference is nice! that m52 obd1 pulls pretty hard in an e30. it definitely makes the m50 feel underpowered.

but i had some bad bad luck today...on my way home, all i hear is this nasty ass squeal going hard on the engine and i lost power...i just got the car home fast and didnt look at it yet as it was night time and i cannot see in the dark. i think the serpentine belt snapped since the battery light came on when it happened? i will find out when the sun is up.

other wise, the swap came out successful. engine idles so smoothly! very quiet idle. at WOT, this thing is ridiculous! sounds so much more aggressive than the m50.

sooo much fun!!! i missed driving this thing! pics to follow
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato Liso View Post
thx cormier !!!

maxbell, unfortunately the throwout bearing didnt solve the rattle....it sucks so hard as it ruins the beautiful sound of the m52

i have a feeling its the pressure plate thats causing the problem...but i dont know. still a mystery.
Yeh. In my build, the trans and engine were swapped, but I reused the NEW pressure plate, clutch and TOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

really? its hard to say. what if the stock 325i TOB is not long enough? maybe we should have used euro 323 TOBs!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #29
El Gato Liso
6th Gear Member

well heres all that is left with the rest of the swap.

the knock sensors and coolant sensors all brand new. but i ran into a problem. the M20 temp guage sendor had totally different threading. so i had it rethreaded using the stock m52 thread pattern. it now fits nice and snug!

putting the engine together. starting to look like an engine again!

power wires all hooked up.

shout outs to devon *e30_kid89* for the fan clutch tool. made life so much nicer.

fan and rad are so close together. no contact!!

using the m50 413 red label computer. need to get a tune done.

fresh new oil and filter put in.

new coolant and all...

uh oh....coolant leaking everywhere after first turn over. that m50 fitting didnt work well at all...the epoxy didnt even do its job. so, after a warning from sam *samE30* and devon *e30_kid89* i should have used the stock m52 coolant line. it sits nice and tight and snug, just it like did from the factory. so i spliced that up the the m50 coolant line, and voila! no more leaks

and finally, as she sits. lower, tight suspension, sounds awesome, the iS lip is great *thanks bimmer boys!* just need to get 2 new tires for the rims and shes ALL DONE.

thanks for tuning in. A mark D tune is the last paragraph to the final chapter of the book "the life of Erika-Olga, a nubian princess"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1110.jpg (33.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1111.jpg (24.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1112.jpg (33.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1124.jpg (28.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1125.jpg (34.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1113.jpg (45.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1114.jpg (44.6 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1115.jpg (53.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1116.jpg (38.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1117.jpg (47.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1118.jpg (44.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1119.jpg (45.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1120.jpg (43.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1121.jpg (37.9 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 1122.jpg (24.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1123.jpg (71.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg 1126.jpg (27.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1127.jpg (30.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1128.jpg (65.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

When exactly does your rattle happen? And do you hear a slight whining noise in gears 1-4 when driving?
nate_s89 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: