Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

I said it before, and I'll say it again ... absolute best example of the Z4M there is. It might be 1% better if it was Imola or Alpine, but probably not Well done.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

Lukasz, you ever think about doing anything radical like F/I?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #18
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

im going to do a csl alpha tune and intake conversion. s1 headers on the way. just with those 2 mods its going ton make over 330whp. i dont want to make this car a maintanance problem. i prefer to keep the motor NA to tell you the truth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOaHa8iqF1U

Last edited by Z4MC; 04-16-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Z4MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #19
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

So nice power going NA with those mods. A SS or Turbo might make things a bit much to keep that kind of power planted on the road. Although it would make you smile and get all giddy when you step on the gas and it's like riding a rocket ship.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
everlast
if I lived . I would be ~

That's a tasty looking torque curve, can't argue with that.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 AM   #21
beem3r
2nd Gear Member

Same route I was going to take. Then I decided against it, then I was just going to stick with the Evolve tune and 4.10 gears....

But, after just driving my buddies downpiped and tuned 335 for a few days...I need more. I love N/A, but I'll never see the results I want unless I get into stroker kits and blah blah.

I'm gonna go F/I. Just a question of when.

By S1 headers, do you mean Supersprint V1 headers? Have fun with the install, I sure as hell did lol

CSL airboxes sound so damn good and are also so damn expensive lol. I think Evolves is almost 4k

Last edited by beem3r; 04-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
beem3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #22
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

The air box is expensive, but that includes the alpha N management and MAF delete. Still produces a glorious sound haha
Old 04-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
beem3r
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MC View Post
The air box is expensive, but that includes the alpha N management and MAF delete. Still produces a glorious sound haha
Did you order one yet? or just the headers?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

Just headers. The rest have to wait till the baby comes and I finish buildIng my house
Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
goodtime67
1st Gear Newbie

CSL box Just wondering did you S54 engine guys check all the VANOS bolts and hub before you add more power to it. Scare the Sh1t out of me everytime I read on the other forums about bolts and hubs. don't have that money right now for a csl box but might just get a CSL diffuser for now.
goodtime67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #26
beem3r
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Just headers. The rest have to wait till the baby comes and I finish buildIng my house
Your priorities are backwards! Gonna tackle the install yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtime67 View Post
CSL box Just wondering did you S54 engine guys check all the VANOS bolts and hub before you add more power to it. Scare the Sh1t out of me everytime I read on the other forums about bolts and hubs. don't have that money right now for a csl box but might just get a CSL diffuser for now.
I haven't checked mine, but I do plan on it in the next month or 2. I would definitely check before going F/I. I'm still under warranty until end of July
Old 04-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #27
goodtime67
1st Gear Newbie

Lucky you still have warranty.are you gonna check that yourself? if so i would like to see how you do it.so i can check mine too just in case.did you check your subframe while you were doing your header? and for luke are you going catless like beem3r?
goodtime67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
beem3r
2nd Gear Member

I check my subframe every time the car goes up on the hoist. Luckily, I have had no subframe issues with either of my e46's.

You'll always see way more cases of those who've had failures, than those who haven't. And without the ease of access of having internet now, you'd never hear about it. I'm not too worried about subframe failure or vanos failure simply because of that. I still will check though, just to be safe.

I'll be checking myself, and will probably do a valve adjustment at the same time since I'm in there already.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #29
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtime67 View Post
if one of the vanos bolts do break, you WILL hear a slight rattle or "loose" sound. at that point you need to get the part replaced, just gotta be careful not to drop the broken piece when attempting to remove it. my car just hit 20k and everything seems to be in working order.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #30
beem3r
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
if one of the vanos bolts do break, you WILL hear a slight rattle or "loose" sound. at that point you need to get the part replaced, just gotta be careful not to drop the broken piece when attempting to remove it. my car just hit 20k and everything seems to be in working order.
It can get a whole lot worse than just a rattle. There can be no symptoms at all right before catastrophic failure. The cam bolts tend to rattle, cause they're loose or beginning to shear thread and back out, not broken. There's actually a redesigned with loctite bolt from BMW for this. That's the least of the problem. The tabs on the exhaust hub on the other hand, will snap right off without warning. There is no way to tell without visual inspection. And if it breaks, unless it gets caught up and stuck in a crevice within the vanos itself, you can pretty much kiss your motor good bye, unless it miraculously drops to the oil pan without touching anything.

Listening for rattles etc isn't the best thing since the S54 is a noisy engine to begin with. Unless it is an extreme case where the whole note of the engine changes between like 2-3k rpm.

Last edited by beem3r; 04-17-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: