Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
In some countries in Europe, safety must be done yearly, in Ontario, yearly tech inspection would probably cause a riot if it were introduced.

That's interesting because I just did an ownership transfer to a relative 2 months ago and had to get a safety cert...
Has to be Mom, Dad, spouse, or kids.
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate_s89 View Post
Has to be Mom, Dad, spouse, or kids.
It was my father in this case - simple notorized ownership transfer, yet they still required a safety cert.

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
nate_s89
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
It was my father in this case - simple notorized ownership transfer, yet they still required a safety cert.
As yes my mistake, they recently changed the ruling to spouse only.
nate_s89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
i stand corrected, i did have to do safety..
and its valid for 36 days

i just know my mom now cant change ownership to a relative for another year..

SiR: yeah not sure where you got that notion, tons of cars are sold not safetied...even with a safety many people want to take it to mechanic and check it out

Last edited by AlpWhitE46; 04-09-2012 at 07:39 PM.
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 View Post
So then why when you change ownership of the car the new person has to get safety..
That's untrue. The new person does not have to get a safety, matter of fact you only need a valid safety certificate specific to that car to register it in your name (like everyone said valid for 36 days only). Whether that safety is done by you, the future owner, the previous owner or whoever it may have been, as long as it isn't expired when you're at the MTO, you can use it to register the car in your name. But obviously since most people keep their cars for longer than 36 days before they sell them, it seems like you HAVE to get a safety when you buy one. The reason people ask for a safety prior to changing owners in a sale is to A) Make sure it doesn't require any repairs/parts for safety, obviously. and B) To give them one less thing to worry about when they go register the vehicle, all they'd require would be a bill of sale, a signed ownership, the taxes for the vehicle and valid plates and insurance. (and an appraisal if your car is too old and has no blue book value)

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #21
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:

Sounds like you haven't bought or sold many cars in Ontario. It is hardly a standard practice in the used car market.
lol

it is unless you are selling a pos. I did it for all the cas ive sold except one. Have not nor will I buy a car without it unless its a pos beater.

My experience with all my buddies who sell...same thing. You wont command top dollar for a boosted e36(or any car) without it.
I dont give a shit about auctions. thats irrelevant to this situation.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
lol

it is unless you are selling a pos. I did it for all the cas ive sold except one. Have not nor will I buy a car without it unless its a pos beater.

My experience with all my buddies who sell...same thing. You wont command top dollar for a boosted e36(or any car) without it.
I dont give a shit about auctions. thats irrelevant to this situation.
A simple - sure take the car to your mechanic... does it need anything? nope, certify it yourself then will do.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Thats a lot of extra work for a potential buyer and leaves the door open to get burned.

Its not on the buyers shoulders to make sure the car is up to par. Of course if one wants an inspection on top of a safety its something you can arrange between yourself or they can do it on their own once they buy it.

The guidelines for a safety are pretty silly and open. Its almost up to the eye of the beholder so to speak.
so your mechanic says its cool...(but they dont do safety certs there). you buy it. take it to some place for safety and they ding you for a few things. not so fun.

Ive been to have cars safety'd before and the donkey put things down like new calipers needed when they were brand new. lol

so better save then sorry. have the seller deal with getting their car ready to sell and go from there.

if im buying something thats 5k or more(that i want to drive soon) i wont bother with as is cars.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Sorry but what you say does not really make sense... you say the seller should safety the car...

And you say the guidelines are silly for safety and open... So then why the hell do you find it so important to have safety as a buyer...

If i know a mechanic i could go and have him certify any car for me... and then be like hey heres a car its safetied..

Personally if im getting a car id rather go to the mechanic myself (as a buyer) and have him inspect it then safety it.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Safety is a joke, people who won't buy a good car because it isn't safetied are tools and time wasters.
If you don't know enough, get a PPI, don;t rely on a safety tot ell you if a car is good.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 04-11-2012 at 05:34 PM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #26
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

The people who make a big deal about a safety are usually people who don't know cars.

They just wanted to protect themselves from surprised repairs after buying the car as is.

Unless the seller gives my a break from the price and allows my mechanic to check it out, I will not buy as is.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 View Post
Sorry but what you say does not really make sense... you say the seller should safety the car...

And you say the guidelines are silly for safety and open... So then why the hell do you find it so important to have safety as a buyer...

If i know a mechanic i could go and have him certify any car for me... and then be like hey heres a car its safetied..

Personally if im getting a car id rather go to the mechanic myself (as a buyer) and have him inspect it then safety it.
makes perfect sense. Sorry you dont understand...

and ya plenty of people get bogus safety's ...im not saying you should just trust a safety either. Obviously you need to check the car out thoroughly yourself or have a trust shop/mechanic do it.

The safety is still a step the seller should take care. you can dance around it all you like but no amt of excuses make up for a lazy and cheap seller

A seller not interested in getting a safety done says something to me.... usually thats "stay away from that car" Unless im looking at cheaper cars which I know there will be things needed to fix .

Bottom line is a safety is needed regardless. And imho its up to the seller to handle it. 9.9 times out of 10 they wont safety because something is wrong.
if im dropping 10k on a car (for example) it better come safety'd. Even if it needs work later (which it will)at least that silly step has been crossed off the list and Im not delayed in having a car that is driveable.

If you buy a car that has a leaky shock(for example)...that wont pass safety. so you cant drive the car(until you fix it and get it safety'd again which is a hassle with temp plates and/or towing). that doesnt mean the car actually isnt driveable ...but life happens and you might need a few weeks to get around to fixiing it... If you bought it without a safety you are screwed. If it came with a safety you can still drive it and fix it later. (just a quick example)

this is not hard to understand.

and people arguing against providing a safety speaks a lot about you imho.

Last edited by SiR; 04-12-2012 at 11:18 AM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
and people arguing against providing a safety speaks a lot about you imho.
O jeeez, here we go, being dramatic and all...... that really should speak volumes, ofcourse.

anyway, i completely get your point, but that is a personal perspective, not necessarily the norm.

If I was selling a car, I wouldn't certify right off the bat(and have it sit until it possibly expires), but only do it once a deposit and an agreement of some kind is made with the purchaser. I will definitely have a pre cert inspection done which I can show to potential buyers to show the state of the vehicle.

On another note, I always get the cars I am buying (for cars worth a few K and up) etested on my own dime (if they aren't already). Brakes and shocks don't worry me. But failed cats, o2 sensors, or burnt valves which won't pass etest, do.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #29
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

I agree terry,

SiR .. It's not the norm, it varies on how people feel... I bought the car and it wasn't safetied... but I did take it to check it out, then safetied it, big deal?

Reason i haven't done it is because I need a new battery (which I will get today), my car is on fire and theft insurance, and my sticker expired in march... So for me to go get a sticker and whatever else it needs is a hassle...
Old 04-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #30
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
If I was selling a car, I wouldn't certify right off the bat(and have it sit until it possibly expires), but only do it once a deposit and an agreement of some kind is made with the purchaser. I will definitely have a pre cert inspection done which I can show to potential buyers to show the state of the vehicle.
Im not saying it has to be done right off the bat especially if you are asking top dollar and expect a long process to get rid of it. I think waiting to safety is perfectly fine.
Youre still providing it for the new buyer at the end of the day. That to me means you stand behind your car/sale. Even if the safety standards are wide open.
In my experience people wont safety a car period because they know it wont pass.

Its the seller selling the car. Youre supposed to put in the time and effort to sell.Not command top dollar to off load something that needs work and cause issues for the new buyer.

again theres a reason that car hasnt sold and it looks like this is one big reason. results speak volumes. safety/cert/etest and that car wouldve been gone before winter.
Its the norm to provide a safety for a quality/top dollar car. But I guess you can keep giving excuses and hold onto the car some more.

Last edited by SiR; 04-12-2012 at 02:27 PM.
SiR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: