Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Who is the Captain, and why does he keep calling me from 1(702)705-5246...

So after literally months of being harassed by what was in some cases 4-5 calls a week from the same number 1(702)705-5246, I finally answered the call just to talk to someone and get them to stop calling my damn phone.

Big mistake...

I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who has dealt with this bullshit. My girlfriend has been getting calls all month also. Obviously it was some sort of telemarketing scam. But had I known the way it actually worked I would have just let them keep calling for as long as they wanted.

You pick up the phone and get something like this...

“Hello. This is your captain speaking. You will receive two free boarding passes for an all-inclusive cruise to Nassau, Bahamas in exchange for your answers to 10 questions. This is a public opinion poll. The process is automated. Just press the keys on your telephone keypad for your answers. You will receive two free boarding passes for an all-inclusive cruise to Nassau, Bahamas when you’re finished. This process only takes a minute. Press ‘1’ to start the automated survey and receive two complimentary cruise passes. Don't miss the boat. Press 1 now.”

When you press one, it doesn’t matter what you answer in the survey (I told them I was a 65yr old with diabetes) cause the action of pressing 1 tells them your number is active and probably authorizes them in some way to sell your info to other companies. Then an operator comes online at the end and tells you that your gonna get a call from some travel agency to receive your free cruise tickets (but you obviously won’t, and I haven’t) and then they start asking for more personal info. At this point I just told them to take me off their list, but looks like they already got what they wanted.

They also tell you to go to some website to register for your prize which will probably steal more info from you and load your computer up with spyware.

That was 5 days ago. In the past 3 days I have gotten more telemarketing calls from random numbers then I had in the past 3 years.

Just today I got calls from :
1-416-494-9000
1-416-441-3676
a spam text message from 120-191-2894

...and just got another one right now from1-416-481-7535.. (I called this one back and its not even registered, not sure how that works)

Last edited by Discostar; 04-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Discostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long

:O

I have been getting the same one .. let me guess your with rogers?

I get the call from the same area code at about dinner time. F$%king bastards .. wish there was a way to get back at them.

I'm sure there is a smart phone app out there and if there isnt im sure someone will create one.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 04-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Wow.. they are on fire today.

Just got four more. This was all within one hour. Whats interesting is this was the exact time of day I got the call from that (702) number, and actually picked up...

1-416-463-5322
1-416-740-1275
1-416-752-4252
1-416-744-6233

WTF, as I'm typing this I got another call from 1-416-332-1878. Picked up, and all I got was dead air.

I have a feeling atleast some of these may be the same company with multiple numbers, but if its not, I am in for a treat over the next few months. I wonder how long this will go on for.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
gotcurry
3rd Gear Member

ur number has been raped unfortunately..
gotcurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
careless7
Drivin' new whips weekly

ignore, the bots will go away. Some scam discount cruise line BS based in the middle of the desert.. Vegas
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long

I got this one .. 702-520-2328

I found out that ..

is located in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Its exchange 520 is managed by DIGITCOM SERVICES, INC..

The number is currently on switch number LSVGNVXKDS0.

Around 57% of people reported it as "Scammer/Fraudster"

Also this one 702-705-5219

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Michel
6th Gear Member

lol I always get calls from 702-220-7889.

What's worse is when I was selling my car, I got a TEXT from someone with a NY state number saying they're interested. I respond and they reply - so its an actual person. Eventually they tell me they are in Malaysia and need the car shipped there and will paypal me money. At this point I ask how they are in Malaysia but the area code of the phone number is in NY... no more response lool

Scammers are finding new ways!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
damameke
6th Gear Member

Fraudsters/scammers are really intelligent people, they eat sleep the next scam they can pull on you and I...with so many millions of people who has cell phone
this is the next big marketing "spam" /"scam"
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
abc12
4th Gear Member

i've had issues as well with random numbers calling me, well the thing was when i got a new cell phone, i got a new sim card and a new phone number, which the phone number was the one i selected, so ever so often i would get the phone calls from these numbers, 1-000-012-3456, 919 876567233, 919 *******, 358 ********, and a bunch more with different numbers, the 1-000-012-3456 is a really messed up one, no idea where the heck that's from,

but i have caller id, so i screen the call before answering, and if i don't know it, don't answer it, so these ones which i have listed, i put them straight to block and a bunch more...

why don't you guys just block them, i have a bunch of blocked numbers now on my cell, oh well no big deal....

and i'm with "Rogers" as well...

and i've haven't had any more random calls anymore in a while, knock on wood though...
abc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Michel
6th Gear Member

^how do you block the numbers? Is it an option on the phone you use or somethign with the provider?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
Discostar
2nd Gear Member

Well the tally is at 16 calls for the day so far, and two spam text msg's.

Even if I knew how to block calls, I would have to make it a full time job at this point. So far only 2 calls were from the same number, the rest were all different.

I am now in the Canadian "Do Not Call" list, but apparently it takes up to 30days to get circulated. Well see what that does.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #12
ChrisTO
∞ Gear Member

^ you mean the please call me list.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Some B*tch kept calling me this week, over and over blah blah blah blah, nagging the crap outta me. I eventually blocked her number but then she showed up at my house! Mom's dont give up, gotta love em.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #14
abc12
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel View Post
^how do you block the numbers? Is it an option on the phone you use or somethign with the provider?
my block feature is part of the options of my cell phone, it's an LG eve, nothing special. pretty sure all cell phones can block numbers..

with mine, i just create a new contact with that random number, and select "reject call" and that's it...
Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
abc12
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Some B*tch kept calling me this week, over and over blah blah blah blah, nagging the crap outta me. I eventually blocked her number but then she showed up at my house! Mom's dont give up, gotta love em.
you can't be serious, she kept calling and eventually just showed up?? how did you react to that, and what was she trying to sell you that got her to show up at your place...???

off topic, but since it was a mom, was she a milf??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: