Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
jrat59
1st Gear Newbie

OEM vs. Aftermarket

So here's the deal, I have an '05 330ci ZHP and need to do some front end work.

I need to replace lower control arm bushings, and sway bar linkage.

I priced out the parts through BMW and an aftermarket company, price on the linkage is $63 per side (need two), and $260 for a set of bushings according to BMW.

When I priced out the parts from an aftermarket company, it was $95 for the set of bushings and $37 per side for the linkage.

Big diff in prices, really need a heads up on whether or not its a big issue going with the aftermarket stuff... Also as is with the dead bushings, my lights dance when I hit a bump, which I know is from the autoleveling headlights. If I go aftermarket, is it going to effect the autoleveling system?

Any advice on all of this would be much appreciated guys!

Last edited by jrat59; 03-28-2012 at 03:15 PM.
jrat59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Hey dude, email me ... I'll get you setup. Most aftermarket parts are actually the same as OE, just not sold with the BMW logo on them. Some of course are cheap knockoffs, but I can advise you and get you what you need. I'm in Ottawa as well.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
blakneto
3rd Gear Member

What kind of bushings/control arms? $95 for bushings would scare me unless they are a good brand.

Get the linkage from BMW if you wanna be cheap, and get a better brand bushing and pay more. (bushings keep you ride SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH)
blakneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
bimmer325
2nd Gear Member

call Lee's autoworks at 905-240-8820. they deal with world pac. they can get OEM approve parts for less then half of the price.
bimmer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

With oem bushings stay with lamforder, mayle HD, or powerflex polys. You should be fine with these brands as they are the most used by e46 drivers. as f
or links.. I got febi and its been 50k without issues. Again febi and lemforder are good brands.
Dont be afraid to use OEM parts as long as they meet the OE standard.
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: