Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Ontario
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Karmageddon
1st Gear Newbie

Racks and safeties

I recently decided it was time to stop thinking about it, and buy an old car to use to learn about cars. I found an old e30 going cheapish so I snagged it. It seems to be in great shape except for a leaky steering rack. The previous owner mentioned the steering rack leaks, due to where it is located (the car being stored in ottawa, I live in toronto) I have only gone to play with it a couple times since purchasing it, and there is never a puddle under the car, so I think the rack would just be "sweating" (as a friend called it).

The question; Will it pass a safety if the steering rack has a minor leak/sweating? I'll make sure the fluids are topped up before taking it in. I want to know because if it wont pass for sure, I wont bother taking it in and I'll save the money for parts to do the e36 rack swap. An e36 rack swap will be done eventually anyway.

Just to check I am not completely blind/stupid (just mostly), all the local get togethers for Toronto happen just outside downtown and are all stickied to the top of this section, right? I want to see what different types of suspension feel like before buying, and I figure a get together would be the place to do that.

I tried looking around for info on what is involved in a safety but couldn't find anything detailed.

Thanks
Stuart
Karmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: