Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Companies asking for facebook passwords.

So I have read that certain companies mainly US corporations ask for facebook passwords either during application or interview. They do this in sort of a background check on your personal life. see if there are any gang affiliations or to see if you are a habitual drug user.

I.E "liking marijuana marches" might cost you the position.

I have heard of Peel Regional Police, during the application process they ask you to log into your facebook while in the interview process..

If you refuse? sorry your not a candidate fit for this position.

me personally, If an interviewer asked me for my facebook password? I would go off and scream at the top of my lungs at how disgusted I am by that. I would ask him/her how does a person like you sleep at night? if they are a pervert and like looking at pictures family and friends.

I would do everything under the sun that I wouldnt get charged for or sued.

I would make that interviewers morning/afternoon hell.

I mean sure I have nothing to hide, and I have always endorsed the "well if I have nothing to hide? what seems to be the problem?"

very suprising what some companies do to select the correct candidate.

Just in case if your thinking
"well I dont have facebook or any other social media I got nothing to worry about?" I can imagine if they needed to fill a spot , and you had a little better credentials as the other candidate with facebook willing to give the password. Theyll give it to the candidate they "know" the most about.

discuss... ohh and please bmbdmblysbro dont post videos of "rights being taken away" or any other junk. thank you.
ericdalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
radi0activem
3rd Gear Member

There was an article about this, but I heard about it on the radio.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/SciTech/20...ooping-120326/

It against The Charter of Rights and Freedom (I think Section 7, I don't have time to look it up right now) and Facebook's policy.
radi0activem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Personally this is such a rare instance, I still have a hard time believing everything the articles say , that no one has anything to worry about.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
aspen540
2nd Gear Member

as a general rule I never access any personal account from my work computer. This includes email, facebook, banking, social media. Once you've logged in they have your access information and will use it to snoop on you.

I heard stories from people about their managers mentioning to them how much money they had in their bank accounts. One of my friends was taken aside and asked about a personal emails exchanged with another friend who happens to work at a competing company, this was his personal gmail account. Regarding facebook, I changed my name to first name, last initial. if you try to google my name no facebook reference exists.
aspen540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

If you were job hunting, it's probably best to de-activate facebook.

That way if you are asked you can just say you are not currently on facebook. If they search they won't find you and if you don't have an account they can't ask for it.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Most employers find your facebook account using your e-mail address.

Motivated people can find you on facebook (or cached signatures of your account) even if you remove your profile.

If someone asks you for your facebook profile password, the correct response is "**** YOU"

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
If you were job hunting, it's probably best to de-activate facebook.

That way if you are asked you can just say you are not currently on facebook. If they search they won't find you and if you don't have an account they can't ask for it.
would you want to hire someone who gives there facebook information freely and you have a detailed background on. as oppose to someone who says they dont use facebook?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post
would you want to hire someone who gives there facebook information freely and you have a detailed background on. as oppose to someone who says they dont use facebook?
I've hired 7 people in the past year and conducted over 100+ interviews.
While I do a quick search on facebook it doesn't usually effect whether or not they are offered a position.

More importantly they have to be a fit for the role, have the right skills & attitude and pass the criminal background checks.

I would never consider asking someone for their fb/email/etc passwords.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
sirex
King Sirex

if you're a professional or want to become one, then you shouldn't be putting stupid stuff on your facebook and you should have a tight leash on your privacy settings.

a reputable company doesn't want some degenerate dealing with private and confidential information. If you can't control what you say on your facebook page, how can someone trust you with other stuff?

asking for your password is dumb. but if you have no privacy settings it's free for the world to see anyway.........
Old 03-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
FelixT
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to FelixT
i know here, if you apply for police, they can get into your facebook and check it.. have not heard about company asking for pw....
FelixT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdalinda View Post

discuss... ohh and please bmbdmblysbro dont post videos of "rights being taken away" or any other junk. thank you.
just had to flame, eh? and here i read all that thinking ok something that personally effects you, your waking up. then i read the last bit.

so let me try and be like you've been: whats the problem i have nothing to hide! don't like it go collect welfare & starve!
and finally: don't like it move to somalia they have no internetz.

-

seriously though: to demand your Login & password as a condition of employment is a Lawsuit waiting to be won.
so apply apply apply then sue sue sue!

&
Old 03-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Furious
BMW again.

Personally in some positions I don't find that its unacceptable to ask for facebook disclosure. but Im talking law enforcement or any other position of power like that. Imagine a guy who fully participates in some sort of criminal activity or hate movement becoming a cop. Most police officers I know actually are told not to have a facebook account. they all do but they are all fake accounts.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

Adam Kokesh (ex-u.s. marine) - Technology & Liberty

Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
calegrant
6th Gear Member

You had to ****ing do it, I swear to god you have some rare form of tourettes and have to link to youtube with every other post you make even being asked specifically by the OP to not do it.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #15
ericdalinda
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
you had to ****ing do it, i swear to god you have some rare form of tourettes and have to link to youtube with every other post you make even being asked specifically by the op to not do it. Fcplm
lol!!!!!!!

edit: i feel sorry for anyone who actually watches the videos you post BMDBLEYSBRO

Last edited by ericdalinda; 03-30-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: