Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #121
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, November 23, 2012 -- Continued

Picked up a perfect furniture dolly from a friend to rebuild the subframe. Since the parts were dried, I choose to put my AKG trailing arms and subframe bushings in. Everything went well. I couldn't figure out if the "collar" on the bushings had to go towards the outside or the inside. Looked for a few DIY and some pics, finally just put them towards the outside. Hopefully its the right way. The subframe bushings were marked UP on the bag so the collar had no choice to go on top. Next up, probably Monday, is to put the half shafts with the wheel bearings. Also got a Stainless Steel Clutch Line from UUC. It came out to be crazy expensive. 45$ with shipping plus another 25$ for UPS brokerage. I could of had it custom made.

mtlbloodshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #122
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, November 26, 2012 --

Very productive day! Friday I got all my AKG bushings in and today I wanted to get everything settled in and torqued. Started off by tightening up the trailing arm bolts which pass through the bushing (49 ftlbs). Once that was done, we got new FAG wheel bearings pressed in. Went well. Brand new circlip installed. Again I was forced to clean and paint the dust shield. Maybe I should have got new ones but I couldn't wait to see this rear end assembled so what the heck. They obviously don't look new but they look better than before.
Once that was done, pressed in the hub and placed the new axle shafts with the nut (150 ftlbs) and axle lock nut plate. Smooth sailing so far. Might as well get the hand brake shoes and cables set in. Overall it was great day and next step is mount the trailing arm section with the brake lines,discs and caliper. Luckily everything that I need is already purchased. Just collecting dust.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #123
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 --

Very little progress today.. Discs on (Brembo Blanks), painted them with ZINC just incase they try to rust. Calipers on with EBC "Green Stuff" Pads. Set up the trailing arm brake lines with the SS lines. They're not done but they are placed. ST sway bar links are set too. I was bored at the shop so I put on the AKG M50 Swap POLY mounts to my crossmember. Put on the new steering rack hard lines I got a while back and bolt that on with the E30/E36 RACK SPACERS. Maybe I should have put the steering rack on once the crossmember was on bolted to the car, but heck had nothing else to do.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #124
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, November 30, 2012 --

Got the fuel lines removed and dropped the gas tank. I was planning on having it rebuilt since the subframe is out. The tank was recently replaced and its a jobber one from Taiwan. One place wants to rebuild it for 200$ or I found another place that imports tanks from the US. Decided to get a used OEM tank from Cali. The gentlemen said that I could swing by his shop to see the quality of the used tanks he receives to see if I find them "clean". I was impressed so Monday morning the tank should be at the shop.
I wire brushed spots under the car as soon it will be getting sprayed with sealer. Needed to remove the fuel filter bracket as it is all crappy and rusted. I found a aluminum AUDI bracket so that will be moded and fitted to the chassis. Also cut the nipple of the car so the bags can be fitted later.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #125
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 --

I've been waiting on other things to get done with insurance claims at the shop which delays my car from going into the paint room. It's fine because the rear wheel wells still aren't done and I still haven't got my gas tank. Instead of doing nothing, I try to make progress. Ordered new control arms from Lemforder and new end-link bracket but I only received one today. Got the CAB fitted and also the sway bar.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #126
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, December 7, 2012 --

Finally got my gas tank back. Sand blasted and then coated with a rubberized product. It'll be good for the next 30 years.

Saturday, December 15, 2012 --

I haven't updated this thread in a week so here is an update of what went on this week.
ECS delivered me rear mid section SS brake lines and rear bumper mounting fit. A lot of rear body work was done but those pictures will be coming this week. Car is going into the paint booth possibly tomorrow or Monday that way the bay can be painted.
My AUDI A4 MC was painted silver and fitted with a new VW peanut reservoir to make sure the Intake Manifold clears without modifying.

COLOR TEASER!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #127
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Saturday, December 15, 2012 --

I haven't updated this thread in a week so here is an update of what went on this week.
ECS delivered me rear mid section SS brake lines and rear bumper mounting fit. A lot of rear body work was done but those pictures will be coming this week. Car is going into the paint booth possibly tomorrow or Monday that way the bay can be painted.
My AUDI A4 MC was painted silver and fitted with a new VW peanut reservoir to make sure the Intake Manifold clears without modifying.

COLOR TEASER!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #128
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 --1

Getting closer to the holidays, sanding sanding and more sanding. I'm hoping to have the bay painted by the beginning of next week. This way I can bring her back on the lift and start passing my brake and fuel lines.
So here are a few shots of the bay preparation and also my trunk was cleaned quick quick as they both getting painted together.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #129
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Sunday, December 23, 2012 --
ENGINE BAY FINALLY ON PRIMER!!
As I promised, the engine bay should be painted tomorrow. The trunk is painted and will be sprayed with clear at the same as the bay.
Im painting in two stages. First stage is with a flat red to cover the white properly then that is covered with my chosen color.

After cutting my battery tray off, had to weld a bracket to firewall for the wire cover.

Damn fuse box

Inside the wheel well will be painted black later on

Transmission tunnel

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #130
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, December 24, 2012 --

No words here.. Just Enjoy, Happy Holidays

Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 PM   #131
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, December 28, 2012 --

The day after a huge snow storm in Montreal, I finally got to the shop with time to work on my bay instead of shoveling/snow blowing. 40 cm of snow in less than 12 hours, I believe it was a record breaker. Anyway, I started placing everything back on the firewall like the fuse box, clutch MC, throttle cable and brake booster. Also passed the wires towards the outside of the bay so I can hide them in the fender. Tomorrow the car will be going back on lift so I can finalize everything. Enjoy

Thank you for the support and I hope you all like this build so far!

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM   #132
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Saturday, December 29, 2012 --

This is most likely the last update I do before 2013. Every single day, I post what I've done on the car and today it came out the paint booth. Back on the lift and without wasting any time, I passed my fuel lines. For the lines I used 5/16 Refrigeration Copper.
One of my buddy that moved from Montreal to Socal came to visit. He works at a junk yard so he brought me done a 740 3.5 MAF.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #133
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Thursday, January 3, 2013 --

Well first post of 2013. Wishing you all a very happy new year. Now lets get this thing rebuilt shall we.

With my brake lines waiting in the shop, I wasted no time and started placing them starting by the rear. Tried to pass them the best I could and very happy with the result.
Once those were on, I connected the MID SECTION SS LINES. When the car was stripped, I found that only one mid line was stainless so a brand new pair were ordered from ECS.

After that, I attacked the rear subframe since everything was prepped and ready. It all went well with a buddy helping me out. We placed that dolly that it was laying on onto two wooden palettes just to raise it off the ground a little higher. Once we got it lined up, everything bolted up beautifully.

Next on the agenda is to finish the brake lines to the front and air ride lines.

Wheel Test fitment after having my fenders rolled when the wheel wells were done and now that I have the subframe on.

Normal ride height.

Aired out height.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #134
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Friday, January 4, 2013 --

FRONT BAGS ARE ORDERED

Getting closer and closer to dropping in the engine. I am excited but still haven't lost focus and doing things good once and move on. Since I'm still waiting on some parts to arrive from BMW, I placed the rest of my brake lines towards the front. They'll have to come down to make the bubble flares and maybe even paint them black.

Also the master connected with my UUC SS clutch line.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #135
mtlbloodshot
2nd Gear Member

Monday, January 7, 2013 --

Good progress today. My order from BMW West Island arrived very early this morning luckily. Got to work instantly.

NOTE** For those who wish to use the same AUDI BRAKE BOOSTER & MC. The fittings are not the same as brake fittings. They are bigger so I recommend that you get the fittings that go to the MC.

Thankfully my car is at a AUDI/VW shop so those fittings are every where.
Passed and set my brake lines with the brand new T FITTINGS. I did the best to make it clean and tight as possible. Very happy with the outcome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: